ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use Seachem's Purigen?

Default Re: Does anyone use Seachem's Purigen?

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    Thanks Tony!

I also see that Petsmart carries it online for less, $39.99

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...53922#prodTab1
    Kenfish.com our is simply sponsor and have it for very good price (look in Filter Media | Chemical Filter Media)
    100 ml in a Mesh Bag: $6.95 Each
    500 ml Bulk Bottle: $19.95 Each
    1 Liter Bulk Bottle: $39.95 Each

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    I can't speak to long term impact on TDS or PH since I do WC everyday and adjust my TDS with suppliment for every water change. For my setup and routine, I do not notice any changes to TDS or PH

Quote Originally Posted by tdiscusman View Post
    Kenfish.com our is simply sponsor and have it for very good price (look in Filter Media | Chemical Filter Media)
    100 ml in a Mesh Bag: $6.95 Each
    500 ml Bulk Bottle: $19.95 Each
    1 Liter Bulk Bottle: $39.95 Each
    It's great that one of our Sponsors has it...they definitely get priority!

David,

Sounds like good stuff! The only issue that I can see is that you have to recharge the media frequently. At least it's not disposable. That's a good thing!!

Sounds like it works just like ozone and it's likely cheaper than an ozone setup. I'd say give it a shot!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Chad for your feedback! We'll see... there's another breeder in Florida that is coming out with a different product that will work very similar, but uses lye to regenerate and you use it in a column chamber to allow water to pass through it.

I'll keep everyone posted should I decide to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
    I thought they were good for six months?

I know that you talked about having this stuff in planted tanks. I can't remember if you mentioned this or not...but do you dose extra ferts to compensate for any lost through the Purigen?

This stuff is extremely expensive here in Canada ($18.00-$20.00 for 100ml) so I'm very reluctant to buy this and have it just suck my expensive ferts up. If I need to recharge them that often...I would definitely be getting more than one.

I'm just trying to get some of the discolouration out of my water (planted as well). I was told a high quality carbon is cheaper and just as effective.
    As mentioned on Seachem's site on this product:

"Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal"

More info here:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...s/Purigen.html

I've not adjusted my fert regime when I added Purigen (if anything I actually fertilize less to keep the Nitrates lower since getting my discus, plants have not suffered at all).

When I mentioned "every month or so", then I guess it's more like when I think of it and it's been about that. I have two canisters running concurrently on my planted 72 gal, an Eheim 2028 and a Rena XP3. I rinse out the media and change pads once a month alternating filters (never both the same time, so that's each filter every two months). Usually that's when I check the Purigen pounch. If it's discolored or darkening I'll switch it out, otherwise I leave it for next time.

I believe carbon will remove ferts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    David,

Sounds like good stuff! The only issue that I can see is that you have to recharge the media frequently. At least it's not disposable. That's a good thing!!

Sounds like it works just like ozone and it's likely cheaper than an ozone setup. I'd say give it a shot!

Best wishes!

It definitely appears to be a good checmical media, but I doubt it has the ability to disinfect and/or kill bacteria or other pathogens though like ozone.

One of my curiousities is how to use it: media bag vs. using is in a fractionator set up. Is it as simple as the more time and contact made in a fractionation process the better?
    Last edited by David Rose; 12-17-2009 at 07:34 PM.

I dunno Rose, I think I'm sold on this product

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
    I dunno Rose, I think I'm sold on this product

Well at the very least, it's worth giving a try while I complete my research on setting up an ozone system, shop for the rest of the equipment I'll need, rob a few banks (jk), and get ready to go. The issue with plant ferts is a good one to know about, because that's my main reason for wanting an ozone system when I do my 140G tank makeover adding plants and driftwood etc. come Spring. I want to make sure I have the right systems in place to keep up with my end goals.

I dose with Tailored Aquatics fertilisers... a locally 'grown' fertiliser that, IMO, is one of the best. Pricey compared to dry ferts, but they're very concentrated, especially his iron cocktail.

I'll pick up one of these this weekend and put it in my FX5 middle tray on Sunday after my weekly water change (I'll bite the bullet and pay $18-$20 ). I won't notice a difference in my dosing for a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

CAUTION: Please read Seachem's Purigen FAQs page.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Purigen.html

"Only certain slime coat products will cause Purigen® to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. Prime® and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a stress coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™"

Ok, got my 100g pack of Purigen today. 4 hrs in the HOB and I've never seen my Discus so happy! Whatever impurities it's taking out of water sure is agreeable to them. And the water...what water? If not for the air bubbles you just wouldn't know there was any. I think this Purigen combined with the HOT Magnum Micron will keep the tanks and WQ at it's best.
    I have a question, they say in the instructions to re-charge with bleach and then after the bleach to soak in prime water for another 8 hrs. They also go on to say to add Discus Buffer and soak in that. What is the purpose of that third soaking?
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    They also go on to say to add Discus Buffer and soak in that. What is the purpose of that third soaking?
    Taking your money!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

LOL, yeah, I thought about that but just wondering if it doesn't re-charge properly without doing that also. Eddie, you get to do 100% w/c every day. I can't do that on the larger tank everyday and this stuff is making a noticable difference in just a few hours. Our water here in Colorado can be tricky, so I think this is a good addition.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

LOL, yeah, I thought about that but just wondering if it doesn't re-charge properly without doing that also. Eddie, you get to do 100% w/c every day. I can't do that on the larger tank everyday and this stuff is making a noticable difference in just a few hours. Our water here in Colorado can be tricky, so I think this is a good addition.
    I understand Joan, just wanted to throw that out there. One product always recommends another, thats how they stay in business.

Glad to hear the Purigen is working out for you.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Ok, got my 100g pack of Purigen today. 4 hrs in the HOB and I've never seen my Discus so happy! Whatever impurities it's taking out of water sure is agreeable to them. And the water...what water? If not for the air bubbles you just wouldn't know there was any. I think this Purigen combined with the HOT Magnum Micron will keep the tanks and WQ at it's best.
    I have a question, they say in the instructions to re-charge with bleach and then after the bleach to soak in prime water for another 8 hrs. They also go on to say to add Discus Buffer and soak in that. What is the purpose of that third soaking?
    I've never used discus buffer to soak it in. I only use bleach to re-charge and then soak in R/O water with Prime for 24 hrs after leaving it in running water to wash out most of the bleach. Could it be to saturate the Purigen with trace elements & minerals so it strips less from the tank water? Just a thought.

We are now only using it on 1 tank. It's certainly a good product but it's also quite expensive so we wanted to see if there was any real difference between tanks that have Purigen and those that don't. Too early to tell as yet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast