AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use Seachem's Purigen?

Default Re: Does anyone use Seachem's Purigen?

Well I went to their website to see why they suggest Buffering with Neutral Regulator or Discus Buffer. They say after soaking in Bleach the PH of the bleach water is really high, like 8.0 and zapping it while in the final stage of re-generation will bring the pack back down to 7.0. They think it might affect the PH of the tank if dropped in without doing the buffer/regulator. Have no idea about this as I just started using it last night but this morning there is a striking difference in the water clarity. I'm sold!
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

I can't say as I have noticed any shift in PH when I have used it after recharging. I guess there could be if you are using a large volume of it but I rinse mine through with R/O water after using Prime to neutralise any residual bleach.

It does seem to be good stuff and it sure does keep water 'polished'.

The buffer agent is really cheap so I don't see any reason not to use it while in the rinse cycle along with the Prme. Couldn't hurt. I'm going to order a few more of the 100g packs. A product that actually does what it claims. Wish the LFS's around here would carry more of their stuff.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    The buffer agent is really cheap so I don't see any reason not to use it while in the rinse cycle along with the Prme. Couldn't hurt. I'm going to order a few more of the 100g packs. A product that actually does what it claims. Wish the LFS's around here would carry more of their stuff.
    Seems to be a good idea if it is cheap enough. The problem here in the UK is that nothing is cheap. The 100g packs of Purigen are much better than messing around trying to seal the loose stuff in fine bags. It goes everywhere!

According to Seachem's FAQs, Purigen absorbs nitrogenous elements and doesn't absorb trace elements.

Have you tried it yet David? I like it, whatever it's absorbing the fish are really happy now. We have medium hardness water here but it changes often during the winter and spring and gets loaded with various solids during run-off time. I also have ancient plumbing in this house so I feel better about the W/Q now. I'm waiting on my TDS meter so I have no reading to compare either way, but the water is certainly clearer this morning.
    Joan R

Hi Joan...I've been using it now for about three weeks and love it. So far, I think it is more effective in my HOB and canister using the 100 ml pouches than it is in a wet/dry sump. I think this is because more water passes through it in the HOB/canisters.

I bought the 1 liter bottle as well and use one of Seachem's "The Bag" 5" x 10" hoping that would be good for my wet/dry sump on my 140G. Right now it's in the return pump chamber using the bag. I think I may work out a way to add it to a reactor type canister inline.
    Last edited by David Rose; 01-09-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Registered Member

Smile Re: Does anyone use Seachem's Purigen?

Same here ... I've used Purigen for about two months now and the water is the clearest it's ever been. It does not appear to affect PH or TDS's.

Today I'm starting to regenerate the pouch for the first time ... I'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    I think this Purigen combined with the HOT Magnum Micron will keep the tanks and WQ at it's best.
    I have the older Magnum Deluxe 350 that comes with the gravel vac attachment. After seeing your post, I decided to pull it from the closet and use it to help me keep my breeder tank with fry clean. I'm only using the micron filter to clean up excess food, but it makes life so much easier between my two daily water changes.

Thanks for the inspiration Joan!

I won't need to be using the HOT Micron quite as often now with this Purigen, the tank is staying totally clear between water changes. I ordered 2x 100g packs from Ken. The HOT will still be usefull when scraping the walls and stiring up yuk stuff from the airlines etc. I have an old Vortex Diatom Filter which is collecting dust in the storage room. OMG, what a pain it was! The Magnums are really nice and versatile.
    Joan R

LOL... that's where my Vortex XL is as well. I was lucky yesterday to find some 200 micron filter media bags that are 18"x22" on eBay. I'm going to put the Purigen inside and I think put them under the egg crate below the bio-balls.

Registered Member

Hello David,

A couple of threads that might be of use to you. Apistomaster (hope you dont mind me putting these up) has used it for a while and has written quite alot about it. A couple of links below to get you started.

This first link, about half way down the first post he says how he uses it,
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...master+purigen

This says about recharging,
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...master+purigen

This is abit more in depth about it effects,
    http://www.finarama.com/forum/viewto...hlight=purigen

Hope that helps you.

Dan

Purigen..I love it!

Rick..

Quote Originally Posted by bto View Post
    Same here ... I've used Purigen for about two months now and the water is the clearest it's ever been. It does not appear to affect PH or TDS's.

Today I'm starting to regenerate the pouch for the first time ... I'll see how that goes.
    I did mine also, and used the neutral regulator for third stage just to be sure. Do you think it works just as well as a fresh pack after regenerating? I can't tell yet, water is still nice and clear but maybe not quite as clear as when the pack was brand new.

My question is this, they say not to use any water conditioner that uses some sort of process, don't remember exactly what that was, cause it makes the Purigen toxic, but they don't list the conditioners that would be safe to use except for their own AHHA!, Prime. Now, I use Prime most of the time but lately it's getting stinkier than ever. Last bottle I opened almost gaged me the sulfer smell was so bad. So I was wondering what else would be safe to use, like the Amquel or other brands?
    Joan R

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Purigen.html

"Only certain slime coat products will cause Purigen® to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. Prime® and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a stress coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast