AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: one not eating

Default one not eating

Ive got one out of ten juvies not eating going on 3 days now. Hes not hiding not dark or bloated. He actually just hangs around not doing anything usually at the front looking out kind of dumbfounded. Anything I should do. Temps at 86. Daily w/c's. All others eat like piranhas when i drop food in.

Default Re: one not eating

Are fins clamped or could he be bullied?

His fans are not clamped at all. No one really bullies him that i can see. I dont get it? He comes to the front when im there but just doesnt eat lately.

Registered Member

Does he have stringy white poo or tend to face the back of the tank or face the sponge filter when not feeding time?
    Scott

Have not seen him poo in a while however it was dark the last time i saw it. He just seems lethargic not facing away but hes actually at the front most of the time. The only real thing i see is that hes being lazy and is breathing alot slower than the rest. I just saw him bullie someone else that tried picking on him so he still stands up for himself.

I have a juvie doing exactly the same thing. He is one of 2 checkerboard Turquoise, and while they both seemed to be picky on what they eat, in the last 2-3 days, this one isnt eating (I have seen him pick at, not eat some BH, but not really tear it up as he had). I was wondering if some pecking order was going on, but I havent seen anyone else bully him at all.

The only difference is some of the time he is a little recluse rather than hanging out with the whole group.

Im alarmed/annoyed since everything seemed to be going so well with the group, but now, one shows up with an issue.

Everyone else is eating (and pooping) great.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

(sorry, I dont mean to hi-jack, just tag along for the ride since I am seeing the EXACT thing with one of mine)

Here is what I would do, some may disagree. Bring the temp up to 90, add air as dissolved o2 levels are lower at higher temps and try a live food (white worms or clean blackworms) or something such as Frozen Blood Worms. Keep the temp up for several days and see if this fixes the problem.

Need to be extra cautious with high temps. Meticulous tank cleaning and waterchanges need to be accomplished to reduce parasite numbers as they quickly multiply at high temperatures.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Hi Scott,

I have problem with my discus which show the 2 symptoms as you mentioned,

face the back of the tank and rest near the sponge filter when not feeding,

can you please advice me on this?

Chaitanya

Quote Originally Posted by chaitu_319 View Post

can you please advice me on this?

Chaitanya
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=34834

Intestinal Flagellates:
    Symptoms: Your discus may quit eating or spit out it's food. White, stringy, muscus-like feces will hang like a thread from the anus. He may be dark in color and stay in the back of the tank away from the other discus.
    Treat with Metronidazole sold in pet stores as Hex-A-Mit or Metrozol. Can be purchased online from several sources. 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons of water. Tank temperature 92 degrees +. Dose each day after a 50% water change for 3 to 5 days. Use 92 degree water for water changes. Feed sparingly of favorite foods. Keep water temperature elevated for a week after treatment ends. It may take a week or so for the discus to regain it's appetite. In severe cases of long standing you may need to dose every 8 hours for three days. May dose all fish in tank or remove affected fish to hospital tank. Should not hurt your biofilter.

What are clean blackworms? I can get them at a independent fish store but not sure how clean they are. Can I clean tham by just rinsing good or is it a trusted source type deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bettebulldog View Post
    What are clean blackworms? I can get them at a independent fish store but not sure how clean they are. Can I clean tham by just rinsing good or is it a trusted source type deal.
    Clean means a good source. I wouldnt be able to direct you where as I am in Japan.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

raising temp up tonight. Im going to fast them for a day or two then try fbw. I dont have live foods and I guess i dont trust local. Dont want to risk bringing anything in. What could they get from the food? All others are itchin for food already. That one just seems so chill?

Mine is more than just him being picky I fear. Looks like I need to get some metro and treat for hex. the question is pull him out in the QT, or treat the whole tank just in case...Everyone seems ok, but not sure.

His brother (the other checkerboard) is a bit off as well.

These fish are stressing me out. I dont get it. they have been doing so good, eating like pigs for a few weeks and now this. I have been doing daily WC's, feeding a variety of foods. bah.

Bulldog, I hope you have better luck than me

Quote Originally Posted by bettebulldog View Post
    raising temp up tonight. Im going to fast them for a day or two then try fbw. I dont have live foods and I guess i dont trust local. Dont want to risk bringing anything in. What could they get from the food? All others are itchin for food already. That one just seems so chill?
    Quote Originally Posted by Finatic View Post
    Mine is more than just him being picky I fear. Looks like I need to get some metro and treat for hex. the question is pull him out in the QT, or treat the whole tank just in case...Everyone seems ok, but not sure.

His brother (the other checkerboard) is a bit off as well.

These fish are stressing me out. I dont get it. they have been doing so good, eating like pigs for a few weeks and now this. I have been doing daily WC's, feeding a variety of foods. bah.

Bulldog, I hope you have better luck than me
    Guys, dont stress. Not all fish are created equal. Some become ill and never get back on track. If I told you that I never had a sick fish, I'd be lying. If I told you I never had to kill a fish because it wasn't worth the time, I'd be lying. Dont let it get you down. You try and try and when all else fails, remove the sick one and let the rest of the happy ones make you happy!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    You try and try and when all else fails, remove the sick one and let the rest of the happy ones make you happy!

Eddie
    I have done this myself...My wife was looking at me like as if i were a stranger after i told her that i had to cull one of the fish...Even i felt how could i cull a fish at first but now i feel it was better i just did that coz they cant speak and who knows if they too just wanted to end this miserable/tough life...(treated for nearly 2 months but no coming back )
    SimplyDiscus --- > Simply My Discus Encyclopedia

55G Community /22G Breeder / 40G Reef

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast