ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Lamb Heart?

Question Lamb Heart?

Have someone tried feeding raw Lamb heart to their discus as beefheart is not allowed to be sold in the market but lambheart is

Any idea if it is okay?
    SimplyDiscus --- > Simply My Discus Encyclopedia

55G Community /22G Breeder / 40G Reef

Default Re: Lamb Heart?

I would guess it to be fine... all mammalian heart meat is essentially the same.... just be sure to clean it well of all visible fat and connective tissue.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Banned

Smile Re: Lamb Heart?

People from regions of the world where lamb and goat are common food fare for humans and have used these hearts for discus mixes have reported that both are too greasy/oily for use in their discus mixes. They use pig heart because beef is not readily available.

Mat

well forget pig...its fully banned as well
    SimplyDiscus --- > Simply My Discus Encyclopedia

55G Community /22G Breeder / 40G Reef

Mat,
    I have no idea if its too greasy as I haven't used it... but a look at the nutritional content of raw lamb heart vs raw Calf heart its not too different,.. Maybe the cleaning of the Meat was the issue or the diet fed the meat...? who knows...

Heres some quick stats I found...I'm sure theres probably other ones out there that differ... looks like 2 gms fat verses 1 gram in calve hearts....that kind of difference could easily be cleaning, IMO.

Nutrition Facts grams kg lb. mg oz.
    1oz

Lamb Heart-Raw
    Calories 35 Calories from Fat 20 % Daily Value Total Fat 2g 3% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 38mg 13% Sodium 25mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 0g 0% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Sugars 0g Protein 5g 10% Vitamin A (IU) 0 0% Vitamin C 1mg 2% Calcium 2mg 0% Iron 1mg 6%

and Calf heart...

Nutrition Facts grams kg lb. mg oz.
    1 oz

Beef Calf Heart-Raw
    Calories 32 Calories from Fat 10 % Daily Value Total Fat 1g 2% Saturated Fat 0g 0% Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 29mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 0g 0% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Sugars 0g Protein 5g 10% Vitamin A (IU) 0 0% Vitamin C 2mg 3% Calcium 5mg 0% Iron 1mg 6%

source...http://recipemeat.com/www/xnt/tf/Cal...rt_Raw&fd=8948

-al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-03-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

As a comparison...

Mat was right on the pork heart being a better choice than lamb.....same website same amount meat...
    pork Heart-Raw
    Calories 33 Calories from Fat 10 % Daily Value Total Fat 1g 2% Saturated Fat 0g 0% Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 37mg 12% Sodium 16mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 0g 0% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Sugars 0g Protein 5g 10% Vitamin A (IU) 7 0% Vitamin C 2mg 3% Calcium 1mg 0% Iron 1mg 6%

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

How about Turkey...raw heart...1oz

Calories 33 Calories from Fat 10 % Daily Value Total Fat 1g 2% Saturated Fat 0g 0% Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 43mg 14% Sodium 27mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 0g 0% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Sugars 0g Protein 5g 10% Vitamin A (IU) 31 1% Vitamin C 1mg 2% Calcium 2mg 0% Iron 1mg 6%

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Banned

Al,

My guess would be, from the above stats, that the fat content would be of a cellular level as opposed to external where trimming would remove most of it. It is showing twice the fat content.

I really don't recall if I read this in an Asian discus book or from the old forums that were more multinational than we are here on Simply today.

Mat

What about chicken liver?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Al,

My guess would be, from the above stats, that the fat content would be of a cellular level as opposed to external where trimming would remove most of it. It is showing twice the fat content.

I really don't recall if I read this in an Asian discus book or from the old forums that were more multinational than we are here on Simply today.

Mat
    I suppose we should probably also take into account what else is the mix... many use shrimp in their mix...so I guess you could offset the fat content here by increasing the amount of shrimp if the values are of concern(shrimp as very little fat)... and one wanted to feed heart meat yet was limited to lamb.

Glenn,
    I've alway found liver to be a messy food in my mixes so I avoid it.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but to me from those stats BH seems to be the best all around. At least when viewing fat, cholesterol, sodium, calcium and, protein.

If I was in your position I'd used it, but as Al mentioned I would offset the fats by using more seafood. I'd be beging testing by using 2-3 parts seafood like shrimp for every one part of lamb heart. See how it goes.

Or I'd be going straight to 100% seafood mix
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member DiscusKeeper403's Avatar

Sorry if I am hi-jacking the thread, but isn't a high fat content supposed to be on of the factors to help fish grow? I thought high protein and fat was a good thing...
    Take care,

Connor

Banned

Yes, but the proper type of fat. Mammalian fat is what is called hard fat or tallow, undigestable by many fish, including discus. Fat indirectly aids in growth in that fat is used by the discus juveniles for energy, leaving the protein for mass (muscle) and skeletal building. Fat is easily converted to energy compared to protien.

Mat

Registered Member DiscusKeeper403's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Yes, but the proper type of fat. Mammalian fat is what is called hard fat or tallow, undigestable by many fish, including discus. Fat indirectly aids in growth in that fat is used by the discus juveniles for energy, leaving the protein for mass (muscle) and skeletal building. Fat is easily converted to energy compared to protien.

Mat
    Thanks very much for the explanation.
    Take care,

Connor

Bringing this one back from the dead.

I just made some feed using mostly lamb heart and the fish love it.

There was lots of fat to chuck away. I chopped the heart pretty finely and then squeezed it through a potato ricer, don't tell my wife LOL I added a few squares of brine shrim, bloodworms and a few mashed peas. I finished it off with a smidge of crushed garlic. I gave it a rinse to get rid of the really fine stuff and then froze it.

I cant speak for its suitability, long term, but the fish have eaten it very enthusiastically.

Moral of the story is that they like lamb heart, suitable or not. I'm feeling optimistic about its usefulness
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=