ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pump Upgrade

Default Pump Upgrade

Hello All!

I'm in the market for an higher output linear piston air pump and was wondering if anyone out there had one lying about. I'm currently running a Jehmco LPH45 and need to get in to something like an LPH80 or higher. A blower is way too big for what I have going on plus they are expensive to operate.

My fish room has about 45+ outlets and I'm pushing my current pump to it's limit. I need something with a bit more power. Anyway, just thought I'd ask my forum friends before laying out $325 plus shipping on a new air pump. Thanks in advance!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Default Re: Pump Upgrade

Whynot run 2 of the same pumps? Double your output without the additional cost of a larger unit. What is the deepest tank the air system is operating now (incl storage)?? What diameter PVC pipe are you using for the main air line?

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    Whynot run 2 of the same pumps? Double your output without the additional cost of a larger unit. What is the deepest tank the air system is operating now (incl storage)?? What diameter PVC pipe are you using for the main air line?

-Ryan
    Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. I considered the dual pump option and thought that would be the way to go considering that I would have a backup in case one went down. What shot that option out of the water for me is that if one goes down, the second pump cannot run the whole system. Wattage wise, running two of the LPH 45 pumps is about the same as running one LPH 80.

That being said, I think the best thing to do is upgrade to the LPH 80. I am running 17 - 29 gallon tanks and 9 - 60 gallon tanks. I also run spare sponges in both of my 125 gallon sumps. I'd say the deepest tank is 20". All I run off the air system are 51 sponges, no diffusers.

Due to time, I had to pull the trigger and call Jehmco. They were able to cut me a deal on their LPH 80 for $320 including shipping and taxes. I should have it Monday. Thank goodness that I run sumps on both systems or this would have been a huge problem!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appears that they have more than the LPH26 pump listed. I sent an email to check on a LPH80.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/1621133370.html
    Last edited by David Rose; 03-09-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. I considered the dual pump option and thought that would be the way to go considering that I would have a backup in case one went down. What shot that option out of the water for me is that if one goes down, the second pump cannot run the whole system. Wattage wise, running two of the LPH 45 pumps is about the same as running one LPH 80.

That being said, I think the best thing to do is upgrade to the LPH 80. I am running 17 - 29 gallon tanks and 9 - 60 gallon tanks. I also run spare sponges in both of my 125 gallon sumps. I'd say the deepest tank is 20". All I run off the air system are 51 sponges, no diffusers.

Due to time, I had to pull the trigger and call Jehmco. They were able to cut me a deal on their LPH 80 for $320 including shipping and taxes. I should have it Monday. Thank goodness that I run sumps on both systems or this would have been a huge problem!

Best wishes!
    Next investment for you IMO is a quality YSI meter to monitor your parameters.....D.O., Salinity, Temp, Conductivity, pH, etc. Never hurts to know too much. Even if you didnt have any additional air going into the tanks, I bet your D.O. levels would be just fine. Knowing what those levels are at just gives you another level of control and knowledge.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    Next investment for you IMO is a quality YSI meter to monitor your parameters.....D.O., Salinity, Temp, Conductivity, pH, etc. Never hurts to know too much. Even if you didnt have any additional air going into the tanks, I bet your D.O. levels would be just fine. Knowing what those levels are at just gives you another level of control and knowledge.

-Ryan
    Ryan,

Funny you mentioned that. I was just browsing through AES catalog that I received inthe mail the other day and was eyeballing those meters. LOL! Trust me my friend, one day I'll have all the toys! Hmmmm..... discount? LOL!

Anyway, the biggest reason that I keep air pumped in to my systems is due to isolation. There are times that I isolate tanks from the central system for certain reasons. Without the air powered sponges, I can't do that. I also keep seeded sponges running in my sumps just in case I need one somewhere.

As for DO, the overflow systems do a great job of degassing. Like you said, O2 levels are probably fine.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]