ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which heater is good for discus

Default Re: Which heater is good for discus

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Eddie, I have not used them yet , they are in the boxes. When I sent some for warranty I had the choice of getting the new style . I will post later on about how they do. .

Roberto.
    Cool! Keep us updated on them! Might have to change over.

Quote Originally Posted by hedut View Post
    I bought 5 eheim jager 250 lat summer only 2 can work proper . for me visi is better
    Hendri, send them to me, I will pay for shipping. They just need to be calibrated.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

jager had one for 6 years and it's still going strong.

i've also use the marineland Stealths they are good heaters too.

hydors inline i'm worried about those I heard of people using them, and them staying on, and blocking water flow to the sump/canister.
    "DON'T HOOK FISH,BUT GET HOOKED ON FISH.
    15 gallon (using for grow out)bare bottom discus tank,3 young juvies,4 fry.

Registered Member

I like the Jagers. Takes a little bit of fussing to get the calibration set, then they're steady. I cooked a tankful of young discus years ago with a stuck heater- happened while we we away for 3 days. I set the Jagers to 88-90F, plug 'em into the hc-0800 finnex controllers from kensfish, use that to regulate the temp to a lower value. So far, so good. As a technical professional, I really like redundant systems, and think that the finnex controllers are entirely too inexpensive not to use 'em...

I've used many, both with and without controllers. Any heater can fail, but the Jagers are the best quality IMO. A controller will make any heater better. If a controller goes bad, it will likely trash the heater, preventing cooked fish. It's happened to me twice. If the heater goes bad, the controller will just shut off. This has also happened to me. This gives you extra insurance.
    Darrell

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

i bought 15 of the stealth pro heaters and 6 have already quit so iam sending them all back to dfs

Registered Member

Angry Re: Which heater is good for discus

Hi, everybody i'm new to this forum. Can somebody show me how are you suppose to calibrate the eheim jager heaters. I've have use many different heaters over the years. I recently purchase the Jager 3608 (250W) for my 75G discus tank, before actually putting in the tank. I put it in a bucket to test it overnight,and the setting that I set it at was 85F degree. But actual test with a thermometer it reads 96F degrees. So I try setting it at 75F degree and it still read 96F on the thermometer, any help will be greatly appercaiate. By the way the marineland stealth 250W are known to break down and cook all your fish and your plants I have use two of those heaters within a year.Thinking that the first one was just one bad one I might have gotten. Boy was I wrong ! So I went and bought a Marineland 250W with the red/green led and it failed within 3 months. Marineland warranty for life, but is a lot of trouble cause who actually still keeps a receipt for that long of a period.

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tech View Post
    Hi, everybody i'm new to this forum. Can somebody show me how are you suppose to calibrate the eheim jager heaters. I've have use many different heaters over the years. I recently purchase the Jager 3608 (250W) for my 75G discus tank, before actually putting in the tank. I put it in a bucket to test it overnight,and the setting that I set it at was 85F degree. But actual test with a thermometer it reads 96F degrees. So I try setting it at 75F degree and it still read 96F on the thermometer, any help will be greatly appercaiate. By the way the marineland stealth 250W are known to break down and cook all your fish and your plants I have use two of those heaters within a year.Thinking that the first one was just one bad one I might have gotten. Boy was I wrong ! So I went and bought a Marineland 250W with the red/green led and it failed within 3 months. Marineland warranty for life, but is a lot of trouble cause who actually still keeps a receipt for that long of a period.
    You don't need receipt to get Stealth replacement. They do have lifetime guarantee ... In the past twelve months, I return 6 to 8 old Stealth for replacement without receipt. They sent me back the new Stealth Pro .. but one went back already after two months of usage.

As for the Jagar, you need to have another temperature measuring device.
    Use a bucket of cold water, and then your temperature measuring device to get the correct temperature reading. Pop up the Jagar calibration button, turn the knob to the temperature reading you got from the other device. Push the button back in ... then turn the knob to your desire temperature. Put the heater in the bucket and plug it to AC outlet .. Test your water later and the temperature should be close to what you set. Monitor the orange light and make sure it comes on when it's trying to heat up the water and make sure the light goes off when it reaches the desire temperature.

Testing the temperature of a 250 watt heater in a bucket is not very feasible as it is rated for 100-150 gallons of water, not 1 gallon.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

I will never use Marineland Stealth heaters ever again. I once touched the water during a WC on a 20g tank and got a painful electric shock!! It turned out that there was a small area of the heater casing about 3mm long that had split along a seam and was slowly letting in water. The heater was 6 years old, but since it was supposedly "guaranteed for life", I was not impressed to say the least . Due to lack of hard cash, I am currently using Via Aqua glass heaters; they were not my preferred choice, but when I have the $$$ available, I will replace them with Eheim Jagers or something similar- but NOT Marineland Stealth ones...

Colin

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scottishbloke View Post
    I will never use Marineland Stealth heaters ever again. I once touched the water during a WC on a 20g tank and got a painful electric shock!! It turned out that there was a small area of the heater casing about 3mm long that had split along a seam and was slowly letting in water. The heater was 6 years old, but since it was supposedly "guaranteed for life", I was not impressed to say the least . Due to lack of hard cash, I am currently using Via Aqua glass heaters; they were not my preferred choice, but when I have the $$$ available, I will replace them with Eheim Jagers or something similar- but NOT Marineland Stealth ones...

Colin
    Oh, my goodness, I thought I was the only one to get electric shock from the Stealth heater ...I actually have 3 sitting in my garage .. waiting to be return for replacement. Believe it or not, I have returned 7 the past 12 months ..

Registered Member

Like this-

The new blue Jagers often require calibration. It's easy. Set the indicator ring to the desired temp, put it to work. Let the tank temp stabilize overnight, make sure that the heater is cycling on/off. Compare the actual water temp to the setting on the heater. If it's incorrect, unplug the heater, remove it from the tank. Using pliers, pull out on the button at the top of the heater until it stops. This lets the indicator ring rotate freely. Set the ring to the actual water temp, push the button firmly back into the heater. Now set the ring to the desired temp, put the heater back to work. Repeat if necessary. Sometimes it takes a little fiddling to get it just right.

My experience has been that they're usually set a little low, nothing radical. Once calibrated, they seem to just work, but I still highly recommend using a separate temp controller with any heater. The price on the finnex controllers from Kensfish is just too good to not use 'em as insurance, IMO.

I suspect that your new Jager is stuck, defective, right out of the box. It happens- take it back & get another.
    Last edited by Jhhnn; 02-25-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Testing the temperature of a 250 watt heater in a bucket is not very feasible as it is rated for 100-150 gallons of water, not 1 gallon.

Eddie

Eddie,

You're testing the accuracy of the thermostat, not the heating capacity. A smaller container would give you results quicker than a larger one.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by diamond_discus View Post
    You don't need receipt to get Stealth replacement. They do have lifetime guarantee ... In the past twelve months, I return 6 to 8 old Stealth for replacement without receipt. They sent me back the new Stealth Pro .. but one went back already after two months of usage.

As for the Jagar, you need to have another temperature measuring device.
    Use a bucket of cold water, and then your temperature measuring device to get the correct temperature reading. Pop up the Jagar calibration button, turn the knob to the temperature reading you got from the other device. Push the button back in ... then turn the knob to your desire temperature. Put the heater in the bucket and plug it to AC outlet .. Test your water later and the temperature should be close to what you set. Monitor the orange light and make sure it comes on when it's trying to heat up the water and make sure the light goes off when it reaches the desire temperature.
    Diamond discus,thanks for the reply. I have try it and it seem to be doing the same thing. So I took it back and return it and got a new one.

The new one is actually working properly.

As for the Stealth heater, that is base on what the rep told me was that they need a copy of the sales receipt.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jhhnn View Post
    Like this-

The new blue Jagers often require calibration. It's easy. Set the indicator ring to the desired temp, put it to work. Let the tank temp stabilize overnight, make sure that the heater is cycling on/off. Compare the actual water temp to the setting on the heater. If it's incorrect, unplug the heater, remove it from the tank. Using pliers, pull out on the button at the top of the heater until it stops. This lets the indicator ring rotate freely. Set the ring to the actual water temp, push the button firmly back into the heater. Now set the ring to the desired temp, put the heater back to work. Repeat if necessary. Sometimes it takes a little fiddling to get it just right.

My experience has been that they're usually set a little low, nothing radical. Once calibrated, they seem to just work, but I still highly recommend using a separate temp controller with any heater. The price on the finnex controllers from Kensfish is just too good to not use 'em as insurance, IMO.

I suspect that your new Jager is stuck, defective, right out of the box. It happens- take it back & get another.
    Thanks, Jhnn for your help, It was quicker just to return it. hmm that is very true on them controllers, got to look into it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Eddie,

You're testing the accuracy of the thermostat, not the heating capacity. A smaller container would give you results quicker than a larger one.
    GlennR, that was exactly what i was doing to get a quicker result. Good thinking !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast