ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Petsmart Online

Exclamation Re: Petsmart Online

Quote Originally Posted by amunoz7 View Post
    I just got one of those no-spill pythons for X-mas and was wondering is there any way of getting it to work without having to keep the water running? And also how can I get better suction?
    I have never used a python, because of the running water issue-Being on a septic system(not city sewer) has me cautious about running water during W/C's.
    They don't look all to well constructed to me,and they sure are pricey!

I use vinyl tubing from Lowe's, you can get higher suction rates with larger diameter tubing- 5/8" tubing is a pretty fast W/C tool !

Peace,
    Rob
    If you get confused... Listen to the music play-
    Jerry Garcia

Default Re: Petsmart Online

Quote Originally Posted by philip69285 View Post
    My friend bought one of those sludge things... it throws small fine particles into the water when running as in the fine poop doesn't stay. Unless they changed the design LOL. It works great when you are to lazy to change water and want to clean the gravel but why not just change water?
    Mine has fine, tight mesh. No fine particles that I can see make it back into the water.
    It works for the lazy ppl that dont want to do water changes but once you see it work omg... your tank looks horrific for a good 2 hours after
    That's a very harsh thing to say. Mine had nothing to do with being lazy. I got it when I had juvies I was growing up. Tank got 50% wc daily & at their very youngest it was twice a day! The eheim sludge extractor was for in between those daily changes, since juvies have multiple daily feeds & need clean water.

I previously had a cheaper non eheim version, and it was crap & did a crap job.

I agree they're not for sand. I burnt one out using it over sand.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Talking Re: Petsmart Online

you do not have to start the syphon with your mouth just push the hose down into the water past the cut off valve making sure that the hose is filled then close the valve and take the hose out of the water ,making sure that the valve is lower than the water level in the tank .now open the valve and you should have syphon

Registered Member

As David Rose alluded to earlier, use the python in suction mode to clean the bottom of the tank, then turn it off, switch to a powerhead in the tank on the end of the python hose to finish draining out as much water as desired before refilling. Jehmco offers an adjustable powerhead safety siphon that prevents minor disasters like sucking the tank dry when inattentive...

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_si...ium_drain.html

The $32.75 model is fine unless you have a really big tank...

I have a much more elaborate water changing system, but most people can't do things that way for a variety of reasons.

Back to the Eheim Sludge Extractor, I really like mine! It doesn't leak particles and is great for cleaning up poop and leftover flake or whatever. They re-designed it this past year, but you know you can add a little floss inside the basket to help with particles.

You can also order spare parts for it off the Eheim website, that way you wouldn't have to do the return and buy extra stuff. Thanks for the heads up about their return policy, that's horrible.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Registered Member

Wasn't being harsh at all and didn't mean it to come off harsh. Just stating a simple fact that if I have time to sit there with this battery operated thing to remove stuff from the bottom... I had the time to set up my syphon and do a small water change the same why... why have two products to do the same thing. Thats my point on it . You can also use a fine meshed net ment for baby brine shrimp to pick up the poop and left over flake... total cost $3 vs $60. All about finding ways to save money

Registered Member

In my case, I use 2 hoses for my tank. To do w/c's, I use a 3/4" diameter vinyl hose that drains directly outside through the back door onto my yard, the plants really like it!! I then mix the hot/cold water kitchen faucet to the correct temp, connect the hose to it using a brass screw connector, add conditioner to tank, then get my wife/kid to hold the other hose end in the tank briefly while I turn the water on, relieve him/her of duty, and refill. To do poop scoops, I use a thinner hose to quickly vacuum out any poo in a few minutes in the same manner and only drain a few gallons. In winter, my wife holds the other hose end in the sink during w/c's, and for poop scoops she holds a bucket for me She must really like discus- I've kept other fish for years with no interest on her part, even rainbows, but now she's suddenly into fish...can't blame her, discus are awesome I even said nothing when I asked her to shut off the tap for me one day near the end of a w/c refill and I had nipped out on an errand, only to find the tank full to the brim and a lot of towels encircling the tank stand base on my return, bless her heart

I also use a Koralia powerhead to blow uneaten scraps off the bottom and into my canister filter after feeding- these are then eaten by a colony of ghost shrimp living inside its bottom.

Colin
    P.S. Using filter floss to get the fine poop to stay in your sludge scooper is a good idea, mate.

Does anyone know if the sludge extractor will work with BB tanks?

~ Stew
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/album.php?albumid=94

Stew, my advise on the Eheim extractor is if you can pass and get your money back , do it . I have tried it twice to use in between water changes on my barebottom tanks and have found it does not very well at all. It is very weak on the suction side and they do fall apart fairly quickly.
    Eheim was good at taking care of the guarantee on the first one .
    I would not recommend them after having wo of them .

Roberto.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12