AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 1/7 update/Video

Default 1/7 update/Video

Well after a little more than a week in their new digs they seem to be settled in quite well. They look so nice in the new tank I wish I could have it out on display rather than cramped in my little fish room on cinder blocks. I'll have to shoot a pic of the room one of these days. One of the neat things is there's no background on my 300 gallon display so you can sit at the bar and look through the display at the contest tank directly behind it. It looks very cool, and it makes the contest fish look absolutely enormous!
    I've reduced the amount of feedings to 6 times per day, seafood/beefheart mix in the morning, 4 autofeedings of tetra color bits and ON prime reef flake and FBW in the eve's. Cleaning the tank is a little more cumbersome. The auto water change does 50% daily, I siphon out the bottom every other day and wipe all of the surfaces once a week.
    I don't have any signs of spawing like some of the other contestants so I'm gonna start pouring through the breeding section to see what I can do to spur them on. One of my new goals is to get a breeding pair out of this group and in the future see if I can get a pair between the albinos and my snakeskins.

Here are the specifics of the new setup.

90 gallon bb with potted plants.
    Jebo canister filter and a magnum 350
    2x 28 watts T5 lights. (I think that's right)
    2x 300 watt heaters
    50% water change daily
    PH 6.9
    GH 12 ppm
    TDS 10
    Nitrates 5ppm
    Nitrites 0
    Ammonia 0

I'm extremely grateful to all the folks out there at SD for the opportunity to learn so much about discus husbandry and again thanks to Al and Kenny for providing us this contest.

Default Re: 1/7 update/Video

Hi Steve
    Tank looks great. Only 6 feedings per day now, poor guys are gonna starve
    They look great, Nacho, Spike and all, good job.
    I've been keeping water changes exactally same temp or 1 deg warmer so not to promote any breeding yet, it will happen in time. I'm sure with a couple large cold water changes would stir up the mating. Funny, my wife was always telling me to go take a cold shower.
    All kidding aside, nice video and your discus are looking great.
    Good job,
    Bill

Thanks Bill, that's one of the first things I read about is the cold water change. About what age should I try it?

Man Steve, they look extremely beautiful in that tank, its just so clean! All the fish look fantastic! Awesome work my friend!

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Chris

Steve, the fish look incredible and so does the new tank! That is the clearest glass that I've ever seen. The discus look very healthy and happy. Well done!

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    Thanks Bill, that's one of the first things I read about is the cold water change. About what age should I try it?
    Hey Steve they may just decide for themselves when it's time but earlier in the contest I was betting on mid March or early April. I'm guessing they were about 12 weeks when we got them and that would put them at about one year at mid March. Being albino's I'm hoping they hold off until then. You know this will be a first for challenge discus. Exciting year.
    I'm sure one of you guys will do it.

Real Name
    Jim

Hey Steve, Like the setup with the plants. The only thing I can think of was my temp of the water during the water change that spurred them to spawn. That was done by accident on my part.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Real Name
    Ricardo

that is one crystal clear video Steve-O! fish look awesome.

You are one of the first people that i see that uses the Jebo filter. what are your thoughts on it based on your experience with it?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Thanks all of you, I really appreciate the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    that is one crystal clear video Steve-O! fish look awesome.

You are one of the first people that i see that uses the Jebo filter. what are your thoughts on it based on your experience with it?
    Yeah, I had never even heard of it. It was given to me by a friend so I decided what the heck. It's quiet, easy to maintain and clean.and hasn't failed or leaked in the 6 months I've used it. The construction is kinda cheesy, I would think that if you weren't carefull cleaning, the snaps that hold the lid on and the in and out ports as well would break easily. Knowing my clumsy nature, it's probably inevitable.

Steve,
    I love the new tank. Is that starfire glass? Your discus are super nice.Everything about them is awesome

Kenny

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Beautiful tank and fish Steve! Good luck with a pair forming and spawning, bet it won't be much longer. They are gorgeous!!
    Barb

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    Steve,
    I love the new tank. Is that starfire glass? Your discus are super nice.Everything about them is awesome

Kenny

Thanks Kenny. Yeah it's starfire glass.

Beautiful tank and fish Steve! Good luck with a pair forming and spawning, bet it won't be much longer. They are gorgeous!!
    Barb

Thanks Barb!

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

damn Steve, those are lookin NICE! I envy you bro, they look great! keep it up!
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Thanks a bunch Jason!

Registered Member

thanks for the nice video steve! they are great!