AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme Cestode Photos

Default Re: Extreme Cestode Photos

Now I can't sleep, all I see when I close my eyes is worm sign. Are those the new red wilds you got last week? Arn't tapeworm pretty rare in Discus? Woa, I'm gonna do the PraziPro for sure on my new buds. Thanks Eddie, albeit lack of sleep tonight, at least I know what fish tapeworm look like. Sorta just like dog tapeworm.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Registered Member

True Eddie...they will surely put on size now. Amazing these fish can survive with those things, and that amount in them. Tho I would think that if for some reason they could not expell them, it would probally kill them...Bill

whoa that is one long tapeworm and the last few pics are amazing i might have nightmares too haha at least the meds work
    Last edited by migetguy; 01-08-2010 at 12:51 AM.
    If your in for the love of it thats all the payoff you'll need.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    Now I can't sleep, all I see when I close my eyes is worm sign. Are those the new red wilds you got last week? Arn't tapeworm pretty rare in Discus? Woa, I'm gonna do the PraziPro for sure on my new buds. Thanks Eddie, albeit lack of sleep tonight, at least I know what fish tapeworm look like. Sorta just like dog tapeworm.
    Joan, i prefer straight Praziquantel as oppose to the prazi-pro, the latter just doesn't seem to be as effective anymore.

Eddie, that is pretty gross my friend . I'm glad i didn't see that this last time i treated my tank with prazi (gill flukes are gone, yay, ::knocks on wood:, that would have freaked me out.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    No no Joan, these my Lago Solomon X Turqs. Tapeworm are pretty rare from what I've read. I had some discus about 5 years ago that expelled tapeworms when I was treating for flukes, using Prazi. I just had a hunch on these ones. I also hit the new Solid Red SnakeSkins, but they didnt drop any.

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    True Eddie...they will surely put on size now. Amazing these fish can survive with those things, and that amount in them. Tho I would think that if for some reason they could not expell them, it would probally kill them...Bill
    I know, I've seen some long ones in literature and in online articles but these bad boys would have had some monsters growing in them! Glad I was able to get them out!

Quote Originally Posted by migetguy View Post
    whoa that is one long tapeworm and the last few pics are amazing i might have nightmares too haha at least the meds work
    Yeah, good move, especially now and not later, when its too late.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Joan, i prefer straight Praziquantel as oppose to the prazi-pro, the latter just doesn't seem to be as effective anymore.

Eddie, that is pretty gross my friend . I'm glad i didn't see that this last time i treated my tank with prazi (gill flukes are gone, yay, ::knocks on wood:, that would have freaked me out.
    Me too, Praziquantel Powder is my preference as well but the last time I had fish drop tapeworms, I used PraziPro. It was really fast using the PraziPro, after about an hour. Using the powder this time, took 24+ hours.

Take care folks, all the fish are happy as some hippos!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thanks a lot Eddie, this is an amazing thread and some trully good input.

I've never had that in my wilds (fingers crossed) but this is so informative it does sway in the favour of preventive treatment.

Registered Member

Hi Eddie,
    I dont know how rare tapeworms are but I had the same experience once. I was treating for flukes with prazipro and within 6 hours they were expelling worms like yours. I treated again after 3 days and there were no more signs of tapeworms. I remember that my fish were flashing a little but I never imagined tapeworms. They are freaky to imagine that much worm in a little fish. I bet they will have a growth spurt now.
    Scott

Great lookin fish minus the white turds. Kewl pics and informative thread just in case anyone runs into this problem. Nothing better than a visual with remedies with it. Question. How do these worms find there way in your tanks or fish. Preventatives?

thanks

Q
    Last edited by DiscusFreakaZoid; 01-09-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    Dont Let your passion turn into an Obsession

"Frank Mir"

Registered Member

OMG , Yesterday I just thinking to use some Prazi,

But now 100% i will go !!!

What are you think about Tremazol from Sera?? anybody use ??

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusFreakaZoid View Post
    Great lookin fish minus the white turds. Kewl pics and informative thread just in case anyone runs into this problem. Nothing better than a visual with remedies with it. Question. How do these worms find there way in your tanks or fish. Preventatives?

thanks

Q
    Tapeworms (cestodes) are endoparasites. Adult tapeworms live in the digestive tract. Tapeworms are most common in newly imported or wild-caught fish. They have an indirect life cycle, with fish serving as both intermediate and final hosts. There is a public health concern, as some cestodes can be infective to humans, causing zoonotic infections. Diphyllobothrium has a larval stage that can be fatal to fish and infective to humans. Signs of tapeworms may be a swollen abdomen, general unthriftiness, and wasting. Fish may have difficulty swimming. Treatment involves using praziquantel, which will remove tapeworms from the intestinal tract, but will not eliminate those residing within the body cavity. Treatment with praziquantel is the same as for digeneans. Avoid feeding live foods such as cyclops and water fleas, which are the intermediate hosts of many of these parasites, unless you are certain that these come from a fish-free water source. Repeating treatment with praziquantel may be necessary to completely eradicate tapeworms.
    http://www.exoticpetvet.net/aqua/parasites.html

Some may have a direct lifecycle, with no intermediate host... dunno...

Eddie's fish were recently acquired from a breeder, iirc...

Eddie?

Where can I get the Praziquantel or the prazi-pro?

To be Honest, I think I have a couple of fish (or maybe all of them)with worms, as some days these same guys just seem out of sorts, eating, not eating, light, dark etc...just as Eddie's fish showed symptoms. Otherwise, I dont see any other indicators of other problems.

Is there a product at the LFS that is easily available, or do I need to order online?

Quote Originally Posted by Finatic View Post
    Eddie?

Where can I get the Praziquantel or the prazi-pro?

To be Honest, I think I have a couple of fish (or maybe all of them)with worms, as some days these same guys just seem out of sorts, eating, not eating, light, dark etc...just as Eddie's fish showed symptoms. Otherwise, I dont see any other indicators of other problems.

Is there a product at the LFS that is easily available, or do I need to order online?

here http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html

soo how are they now Eddie? hope everything will be ok
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Registered Member

Dang! Scary pics Eddie! Now I want to treat all my tanks just in case of those nasty parasites. Cool pics though in an icky way.

Quote Originally Posted by hedut View Post
    here http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html

soo how are they now Eddie? hope everything will be ok
    Fantastic Hendri, loving life!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

wow, scary....this makes me wonder if any of my fish are carrying these nasty things. ...hmmmm.
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast