ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: Which filter should I buy for my 125 gallon discus tank?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fluval FX5

27 58.70%
  • Eheim Professional Wet/Dry 2229

19 41.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Filter Would You Choose?

Registered Member

Default Which Filter Would You Choose?

I have it narrowed down to two choices, and I have pasted links to the info and specs for both. I'm stuck, but leaning towards the Fluval. Thought I would check the braintrust here.

I'm sure many of you have other filters you prefer over both... nonetheless, this is where things have led me to this point. So please vote, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

Link to Fluval: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/971/product.web

Link to Eheim: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...160&lmdn=Brand
    Last edited by rich_one; 01-14-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the links!

Default Re: Which Filter Would You Choose?

Something that may help others decide, is the intended application of the filter. What size tank, type of tank (planted/not planted), inhabitants, etc. Just a thought.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I agree, I'd like to know more about what you intend on using it for before providing feedback.

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Neither. But then, I don't use canisters anymore.

My personal choice is always the Eheims, but I got burned on a Fluval purchase years ago and still hold a grudge. Either will work fine for their intended use.

Jeff

Registered Member

sorry...

it will be pretty plain, honestly... bare bottom tank w/ manzanita driftwood stumps w/branches, anubias tied onto it, 6 to 8 adult discus. that's the plan for now. I do not have any plans of adding anything else initially... could change my mind over time though. it is a 125 gallon, 7 ft. long tank.

-Rich

I do actually hear more cons about fluvals than Eheim filters. I was just reading the reviews on the Eheim, had me laughing. One person said it was recommended for NASA engineers as they couldn't put it together. LOL

To be honest, for the price, I'd go for the Eheim Pro II 2128.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3B+Circulation
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

if you decide to get the eheim with that price. i rather get 2 eheim 2217 classic.

I personally like Eheim based on what I've read, but there are some good buys on eBay for the FX5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Fluval-FX5-F...item5d27a35942

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fluval-FX5-Hagen...item414c2a70f8
    Last edited by David Rose; 01-14-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Which has the lowest Gals per hour. Find that out and get the LOWEST rated one. Discus like calm water.

If your 125g tank is a standard one then it will be 6ft long, not that it matters. I'm not a fan of canister filters. They are nice but maintenance on them can be a pain. I would highly recommend that you get two HOB style filters. I'd recommend either two Aqua Clear 70's or two 110's. I say go for the two 70's to save some coin.

https://secure.bigalsonline.com/edea...ers&groupId=-1

May be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, that's just a reference. A single canister wouldn't be good in a 6ft long tank in my opinion. I have two HOB style filters in my 5ft long 100g tank and I love them. I can't imagine a canister filter cleaning all that tank bottom plus an additional foot of length and filtering 25 more gallons. HOB filters are much easier to clean and the AC filters have trays that you can put different media or filter pads in, much like a canister filter.

Registered Member

the tank is definitely 7 ft long... I measured it.

my only thing with Aquaclears, is that I have never had good luck with them. nearly every time, they were noisy (rattling lid... though I could solve that problem easy enough), and have often broken easily compared to just say... Marineland HOBs that I have had much success with.

as far as these two canisters are concerned, two attractive features of the Fluval are the whole 24 hour shut off cycle, that releases any built up gasses, and the ability to flush out or remove detritus in the unit.

all that said, I respect the opinions of you all here... I guess I have to give more thought to this filter thing... definitely appreciate all of the opinions.

Registered Member

Also, so no benefit regarding the whole wet/dry feature on the eheim? I thought maybe it would be good at oxygenating the water... which, of course, are at higher temps than normal, meaning lower oxygen levels. I figured wet/dry filtration and surface agitation were beneficial... no?

Quote Originally Posted by rich_one View Post
    Also, so no benefit regarding the whole wet/dry feature on the eheim? I thought maybe it would be good at oxygenating the water... which, of course, are at higher temps than normal, meaning lower oxygen levels. I figured wet/dry filtration and surface agitation were beneficial... no?
    Hi Rich

I have an Eheim 2180 Pro III on my 125 gallon.

I am happy with it. The maintenance can be a pain in the butt, but overall I am happy with the eheim product.

I am thinking on adding an overflow/sump system similar to Chad Hughes', but haven't had funding approved by the finance minister yet.

I found my 2180 and a couple of air stones keeps my O2 levels fully saturated.

I am sure the 2229 would be sufficient.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/album.php?albumid=94

I used the FX5 for about 2 years with no problems...a beast! I had it on my 125gal. with sand bottom and discus, no problems.

I no longer use canisters since I think the time it takes toc clean them is not worth the benefit they (may) bring. Canisters when not cleaned can become nitrate traps and cleaning that big FX5 every two weeks was to much work for me.

Rodrigo

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    I used the FX5 for about 2 years with no problems...a beast! I had it on my 125gal. with sand bottom and discus, no problems.

I no longer use canisters since I think the time it takes toc clean them is not worth the benefit they (may) bring. Canisters when not cleaned can become nitrate traps and cleaning that big FX5 every two weeks was to much work for me.

Rodrigo
    How often they need to be cleaned depends on the bioload.

I use the fluvals. They're easy to use and hold up quite well.
    Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society
    Horticulture Awards Program Chair

I do things my way because they work for me sorry if you disagree.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast