ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

View Poll Results: Which filter should I buy for my 125 gallon discus tank?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fluval FX5

27 58.70%
  • Eheim Professional Wet/Dry 2229

19 41.30%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Filter Would You Choose?

Default Re: Which Filter Would You Choose?

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    ..... And I am laughing at all the eheim fanboys. .....
    Oh you can now laugh at the eheim fangirl too

Having said that, I've only ever read one review about the eheim wet dry filter and it wasn't good.

It's true that the eheim Pro II's self priming function never works like it's meant too - just go back to priming in the old way on those IMO (sucking on the hose). The reviews I've read on the pro 3 series indicate the new priming function is faultless. Guess I'm about to find out, as I just bought one !

The eheim classics - never heard a bad word about them on any forum and I'm a member of lot of forums.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Registered Member

I had planned on spending all of this money for a "higher end" filtration system. Funny thing is, these things seem to be just as susceptible to shortcomings as less high end units. so honestly... I think I might just go with what I know... two or three power filters (many say ACs, but I am partial to Marineland Emperors), and maybe a sponge on the inside. way cheaper, less worry about a large investment, only to encounter the same issues anyway. and since I am only going to have 5 adults in a 125 gallon in the beginning... no huge bioload. my water change regiment will still suffice.

this has been a very interesting debate... I have to say. very good information here.

-Rich

Real Name
    Rick

It's true that the eheim Pro II's self priming function never works like it's meant too
    I'ts not only true it does'nt work, when the seal goes bad it leaks, so you not only have to worry about the lid seal, you have to deal with the self primer seal as well, so much for eheim quality. Just google "eheim pro II leaking".

Add to that, for the longest time you could not just buy the gasket (yes now you can)and when you finally could it was outrageously priced, and well you get how eheim really feels about service.

I am not saying fluvals are without fault mind you, but I chuckle at all the eheims fans that think Eheim are faultless.

Yeah, I think eheim dropped the ball with both the wet & dry and the Pro II's.

The eheim classic series are a different story though - I've honestly never heard a bad word about them. I have 2 of the smallest Classic (the 2211) and they are both faultless. Probably the classic I hear recommended most often is the Classic 2217.

Only ever heard good stuff about the Pro III's as well - which is why I just made the purchase.
    Cheers
    Robyn

I'm an FX5 fan. I have one on my 150 in tandem with a wet/dry. Works great and never had a single problem in the past 4 years. It's been running non stop. I break it down about once every 60 days and rinse everything out. I've used HOB filters in the past, but they require almost weekly maintenance. Not a big fan of that.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I have used aquarclear 70 and 110 and they get noisey over a couple of years. When I first started keeping fish, all of my tanks(30) are aquarclear. The good thing about them is they are cheap and easy to clean. Given the choice, I will not use it because if there is power outage, the water does not cycle again or the propeller does not restart, you have to give it a nodge to help it move.

I have fluval 404 and a FX5 and I have no problems with either one. Both filters are quiet as they are place on cement ground. Cleaning canister is not as fast and easy compared to the aquaclear, but if I do have a power out and I am not at home, I don't have to worry about it not restarting or water recycling again.

I cannot saying anything about the Ehiem as I do not own one.

I use sponge filter on my breeder tank and find it easy on the fry but will not look good on a display tank imo.

Registered Member

I finally did decide on a Rena XP4... got an deal on a new one that I could not refuse.

-Rich

Registered Member

I currently have the following canister filter running in my tanks:

Eheim 2215
    Eheim 2217
    Eheim 2317
    Eheim 2229
    Fluval 405
    Aqua Clear 110 (X2)

In a 90 gallon tank I have 1 Aqua Clear 110 running stricktly mechanical filtration and 1 eheim (2215/2217/2317) running structly biological filtration.

Works great as I only really have to rinse the sponges on the aqua clears every 2 weeks and clean out the eheim every few months. 2 filters are VERY easy to clean.

I do also run sponge filters in all my tanks along with mechaical fillters.

SO, I suggest you take the same approch for you 125.

1-2 Aqua Clear 110'2
    1 Eheim Classic 2217
    1-2 sponge filters

That shouold provide more than enough filtration for a tank that size

Registered Member

well, before I could purchase the XP4, an opportunity has come up to get the FX5, brand new, in the box.

I just gotta try it out... so... FX5 it is... here's to hoping I am not disappointed...

-Rich

Registered Member

Got the FX5! I'll install it this weekend, and we'll see how it goes from there. Man... that thing is huge! LOL...

-Rich

Registered Member

I agree with the comments concerning the vibration of the AquaClear 70 covers. I have one on a tank in my son’s room and we have to make sure there is a small paper weight on the cover to keep it quiet.

Our main Aquarium is a 90G Planted tank which has mostly Han’s discus. On this tank, we use two Eheim canisters filters. Our main filter is an Eheim Professional III 2078e and our secondary filter is a Eheim 2126 ThermoPro II.

The 2078e has a bio function that allows you to run the filter at 2 different 12 hour flow rates that can be adjusted from slow to fast.

The 2126 is a smaller filter but it includes a heating element that has no problem keeping a 90G aquarium in the mid 80’s.

Both filters and the heating function are controlled by a Neptune Systems Apex controller. We have had no problems with these filters and would highly recommend them.

Another benefit of using two filters is that you can alternate the cleaning cycles of each filter.

One thing I must say about the Eheim filters is that they are QUIET.

You can't go wrong in selecting an Eheim filter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123