AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus Breeding Cones for sale

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus Breeding Cones for sale

I'd certainly consider buying some. Thanks.
    John

Real Name
    Matt

When i say lip or ledge i mean basically the same thing. Just a ledge raised a little on the cone off the bottom like seen in the link below. Just to catch any eggs or fry that might fall off the cone.

http://www.azdiscus.com/images/breedingcone.jpg

Its really a luxury for me, and I'd probably end up buying either way but it seems hard to find good cones with lips/ledges. Not being a potter, I have no idea on how much extra work it takes or how much more production time is involved, but thats what I as a consumer would like to see. But make a realativly cheap, good quality cone and i'll be interested.
    -Matt

Registered Member

I would be interested in at least a couple when you have them available.

I like this cone...sorry for the fish and eggs on the picture... :0) It is non-glazed terracota, and has the lip.

Rodrigo

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Thanks Rod. That is a good picture, I have never seen eggs quite that color, they match the parent! I will make up a design, throw some on my wheel, fire them and see what I get. Then post some pics here. Thank you all for your support and I will try to make a product you will like. I have done some checking and find that the glazes I use on coffee cups and bowls would be safe for aquarium use. Since discus eggs stick to tank glass and heater glass I think they will stick to my glass-like glazes. But I would plan on making unglazed terra cotta color cones to start and then try a few glazed for those who want a more artistic looking cone.
    Barb

This is a great idea. I'm interested, just need the breeding fish first. Seems like you will do some pretty good business.
    Daniel - If I had a swimming pool, it would probably end up as a fish tank.

Fantastic Barb! You know....I was actually thinking some terracotta and white swirl would look FANTASTIC!!! If you could do some swirl ones, that might be a signature. I would really like to see that! Just an example but this vase has several colors.

http://www.antiquehelper.com/auctionimages/37802t.jpg

You could call them, Barb's peaches and cream breeding cones!

Good luck!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    I just have to ask. What is the difference between a lip and a ledge on a spawning cone? I will have to design this and want to make what people are wanting. Thanks for all the positive comments, I really appreciate it.
    Barb
    When I said ledge it wasn't the best description of what I meant. If you go to Rosenthal's Pottery web site you can see that their cones do not have a bottom catch tray, but the cone expands diameter as it goes down. I like the little catch trays at the bottom better.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Barb,

don't make them to thin, it will safe you a lot of money in replacing them after shipping lol lol

If people want a tray, put them on a old plate, break fast, dinner, coffee cup and you got your tray,

Hans
    Last edited by Discus-Hans; 01-15-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Hello Barb. I think most would agree that these are best out there.

Bob

Real Name
    Matt

Those are the kind I like bob.
    -Matt

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions! Yes, I can swirl different colors together. I will try to get a good lip. I see some cones have a small hole at the top for air to escape and most do not. Which do you all prefer? I can do either. And I will definitely make them thick so as not to break easily, thanks Hans! I will be making some in a week or so, and within 2 weeks or so hope to have a picture to show you all. Just hope my injured right thumb is healed up enough to do this .
    Barb

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions! Yes, I can swirl different colors together. I will try to get a good lip. I see some cones have a small hole at the top for air to escape and most do not. Which do you all prefer? I can do either. And I will definitely make them thick so as not to break easily, thanks Hans! I will be making some in a week or so, and within 2 weeks or so hope to have a picture to show you all. Just hope my injured right thumb is healed up enough to do this .
    Barb
    Hard to see the "space" in the lip, but don't make it to small or deep, I've seen Discus hurt their face by trying to get fry out of a to small lip.

We have a little hole in the top to get air out.

Hayyyyyyyy you've to keep a production company going from now on, only injuries, days off, sleep ins, etc. etc. in your own time (what's left of that) Your lost now, you got a cone company. Your life is over, now you've to deal with all those $#%^&*&%$% Discus people, you will see those who are NOW your FRIENDS will turn into "pain in the part of the body we all sit on" CUSTOMERS.... good luck with that

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Having our own potter is a great opportunity to get a variety of colors of cones. It will be interesting to see which colors the fish like best. It will also be a great way to decorate otherwise "bare" tanks. I can see "cone art" becoming an exciting new part of keeping Discus.

Disgirl, be sure to put your "stamp" on them, so the cone collectors will know they were made by you.

Registered Member

I too would buy some. Let us know.
    Scott

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast