AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus Breeding Cones for sale

Default Re: Discus Breeding Cones for sale

I would sell off all my old cones and get the swirl type for sure!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

i like closed top so no debry colects inside the cone, a hole on the top, even if tiny can get crap inside and under the cone, no big deal I am sure but that is what I was told...

rodrigo

Registered Member

I to Eddie like the swirl design . Maybe Ill have to order a few different kinds (have one already coming in) and see what they like best hehehe.

I would buy at least one with a white or terra cotta color...and I hate to go against the grain but I personally don't prefer bottom lip. I would still buy one either way though.
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

a hole in the top is good. just needs to be tiny. otherwise dead spot..bad water . ill take swirl or spotty. spots are good. blotches . speckles, splatters..pastel colours. pink, turquoise, yellow, baby blue. ; 0

Designer cones, themes, holiday inspired, limited editions...$cha ching, $cha ching! Of course the price would be higher I'm sure for these types. Leave it to SD to set some trends. I can see it all now...Barb goes international and we can say we new Barb when.... Don't forget us little people Barb!
    Last edited by David Rose; 01-16-2010 at 10:06 AM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Oh my heavens, now I am getting overwhelmed. Had not even thought of offering them for sale until David suggested it to me just 2 days ago. Thanks David! I am going to do my best to do this, but what Hans said last night has me a bit worried. Hope he isn't really right. My pottery business is just me and no help. I know I can't train my husband to throw clay on a wheel. He may be able to help package. Thanks everyone!
    Barb

No worries Barb...you have a great group of friends here on SD that will support you along the way. I don't think anyone is in a rush for them, so no mass production line is needed.

When and if the time comes, you can always round up some advanced students from a nearby pottery class if you need help or maybe an associate you've met along the way in selling your other work. Maybe you can even teach a pottery class locally and have your students make breeding cones as one of their beginner projects. It's amazing how creative folks can get in a class room setting.

Best of luck!

PS: Start saving your daily newspaper now for packaging, local rag sheets etc...LOL!
    Last edited by David Rose; 01-16-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Real Name
    Francis

hi Barb.....just curious how much time to make a cone?like this one from Rod.

cheers
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Oh my heavens, now I am getting overwhelmed. Had not even thought of offering them for sale until David suggested it to me just 2 days ago. Thanks David! I am going to do my best to do this, but what Hans said last night has me a bit worried. Hope he isn't really right. My pottery business is just me and no help. I know I can't train my husband to throw clay on a wheel. He may be able to help package. Thanks everyone!
    Barb
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Well I'm in for about 4 breeding cones, I have cones now without a lip and I tried making a lip out of silicon to no avail. I like the cone presented by Roclement nice and fat with a sized lip that won't injure the parents. I also like the cones in either terra-cotta or white clay not toxic to fish in any way. My 2 cents but as I said I'll order 4 when you have them ready, by the way where are you shipping from. See you've already started a business hope for your success. Jim in Ohio

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Francis, I work an assembly line type of pottery making. In a 6 hr. day of working nothing but pottery I could make a dozen cones I think. Could be more or less, just depends on lots of factors like the temp. in my studio, whether or not my hands are hurting, the moisture in the clay, etc. Pottery is quite variable and I like to point out to customers that no 2 pieces are ever the same. Each is a small work of art. It is what makes the big difference between hand and machine made. Jim, I live in eastern North Carolina, near the coast. I make my pottery in my studio in our garage. I must point out that if my cones are a success I will become a sponsor here and help support SD, it is the only fair thing to do.
    Barb
    Last edited by Disgirl; 01-16-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

I brought this one from Aquabid several years ago .. I forgot where I got it from but it's shorter then others. So I like to use it in a smaller 20 gallon tank. I don't know what kind of material was used to make this cone but I like the surface .. which is a little rough and very sticky. Even when it's dry .. and when I pick it up with my hand, I can already feel the stickyness .. Eggs stay on it very good. It doesn't have hole at the top either. I don't mind that it doesn't have the lip. The one that I don't like about it is that it's a bit too wide .. I like it to be a bit skinner .. thus my pair would have more room in a smaller 20 gallon tank. To me it's important, especially for some breeding pair that are 6"+.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

I dont think you will have much problem meeting the demands here on the simply forum . Unless you really do want to make it a business then it gets CRAZY lol. Like getting your own website type thing LOL. Im def in no hurry to get my cone or two or 3 LOL... . I just hope they use the one I give them LOL.

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Barb.....thanks for the quick reply and info provided to us.

cheers
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Francis, I work an assembly line type of pottery making. In a 6 hr. day of working nothing but pottery I could make a dozen cones I think. Could be more or less, just depends on lots of factors like the temp. in my studio, whether or not my hands are hurting, the moisture in the clay, etc. Pottery is quite variable and I like to point out to customers that no 2 pieces are ever the same. Each is a small work of art. It is what makes the big difference between hand and machine made. Jim, I live in eastern North Carolina, near the coast. I make my pottery in my studio in our garage. I must point out that if my cones are a success I will become a sponsor here and help support SD, it is the only fair thing to do.
    Barb
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Hey, diamond-discu's picture of his cone has a screen. You might consider offering those too if you can figure out an easy way to make them. Of course charge more for those.
    Scott

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast