AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Apistogrammes good or bad for discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Apistogrammes good or bad for discus

Im on the apistogramma site.

same name as there? I will look you up over there.

I appreciate the help also my angels arent wild strain wise but they are wild behavioral wise.

Default Re: Apistogrammes good or bad for discus

I use the same username as I do here on both apistogramma.com and finarama.com.
    As soon as the new baby P. altums come in the site will become very busy but we don't discriminate between the wilds and domestics. It's just that there is more information available about domestic Angels so the wild species get more activity on the forum.
    My personal favorite is the smallest wild species, P. leopoldi. They are the species closest to their shared ancestor which split into the Pterophyllum and Mesonauta and leos, as we affectionately call them, show that relationship more obviously in their morphology. One of our members has some breeding and I plan to get some of his F1 P. leopoldi and keep them as tank mates with some of my F1 Blue Discus. Being tank raised they don't have the parasite issues that wild imports do. I plan to keep A. borelli, A. trifasciata and A. hongsloi Super Rostriche going. These three are all pretty easily bred and raised and sometimes it is enjoyable to work with less demanding species. I have bred plenty of the more difficult Apistogramma species but for now I am happy to work with these easy species. The A. hongsloi strain, Super Rostriche, is one of the most beautiful Apistos. I borrowed this photo from Google images so I could show what a superior specimen of A. hongsloi Super Rostriche can look like. It's a hard act to follow.
    http://apistogramma.benchi.fr/wp-con...pistoworld.jpg
    The last time I raised a batch of Apistogramma cacatuoides I got 174 fry which I raised to maturity before I offered them for sale. That was the single largest batch of Apistogramma I had ever raised from just one spawn. They are among one of the best beginners' Apistograma species. Here are what they looked like.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 04-06-2010 at 01:22 AM.
    Larry Waybright

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234