ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Woo Hoo it's breetin time!

Default Re: Woo Hoo it's breetin time!

Congrats Tito. I wouldn't get too busy too soon removing and replacing things in the tank since it's their first spawn. If it's not causing a problem, I'd leave it alone.
    Kacey

Tito

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Congrats Tito. I wouldn't get too busy too soon removing and replacing things in the tank since it's their first spawn. If it's not causing a problem, I'd leave it alone.
    Ok cool. So far so good. I plan to raise the water a little at a time. The sponge I may wait on. Fry look swell on the mom and dad. Let's see what I get in an hour from now when I get home.

I think we'll be due for some new pictures. I bet your wife is pleased.

Tito

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    I think we'll be due for some new pictures. I bet your wife is pleased.
    She's excited - she knows how much I've been anticipating this moment.

So where are the fry? You guessed it - it's a Leopard Fry Sandwich - they're in between.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Congrats Tito! Those beautiful discus look like twins. I hope they raise their fry for you and give you lots of fish that look like them, they are beautiful!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Nice pair Tito, keep up with the updates on the little ones.

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Tito

Thanks Barb and Eddie!

I did not get the second breeding setup so I didn't need a second cone Barb.

I raised the water back up and put the sponge back in. There are about 6 fry that are stubborn and like to stay at the surface. The parents do their best to come up and get them - hopefully they'll catch on. The rest are doing pretty good.

I'll take a pic when they are larger - if they get there.

Question: I fill my tank with tap water via python. I just make sure temps match before I send the water thru. Will this be a problem for the fry - especially since I add the Tetra Aquasafe right in with the flow of incoming water - I guess what I want to know is will the fry be killed with the chloramins that are coming in with the fresh tap? Aquasafe is suppossed to immediately make the water safe for fish.
    Last edited by Tito; 07-23-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Real Name
    Larry

Congrates looks like you have some good parents thier keeping the fry sandwiched between them. As for filling up the tank I would use preconditioned water same temp and ph, I age my water. May be a pain if you not set up for it, but IMO would not use water staight from tap, you could even use a bucket fill with water and conditioner than put it in. Good Luck!!! Larry

Tito

Quote Originally Posted by jaykne View Post
    Congrates looks like you have some good parents thier keeping the fry sandwiched between them. As for filling up the tank I would use preconditioned water same temp and ph, I age my water. May be a pain if you not set up for it, but IMO would not use water staight from tap, you could even use a bucket fill with water and conditioner than put it in. Good Luck!!! Larry
    Yea that's what I did yesterday. I put water in a 5.5 gallon and conditioned the water there first before going into the breeder - major pain!

This pair is a dream come true for me. They are Red Spotted Leopards and the work really well. Dad swims up to attach a few surface straddlers when he thinks he has their attention he swims down to mom and shakes them down to her - nice!

Also - I need to vacuum - what to do? There is some debri and was wondering how long could I get away with not vacuuming?
    Last edited by Tito; 07-23-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Tito that is great news! Keep them healthy and get the brine shrimp going!

Rodrigo

Tito

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    Tito that is great news! Keep them healthy and get the brine shrimp going!

Rodrigo
    Thanks Rod! I'm going to try the Instant Shrimp from OSI. Already shipped from Big Al's.

On a side note - I really need to save these and the next spawn since I think my female is not a young lady. She doesn't lay many eggs! But she sure knows what she is doing!

Real Name
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    Yea that's what I did yesterday. I put water in a 5.5 gallon and conditioned the water there first before going into the breeder - major pain!

This pair is a dream come true for me. They are Red Spotted Leopards and the work really well. Dad swims up to attach a few surface straddlers when he thinks he has their attention he swims down to mom and shakes them down to her - nice!

Also - I need to vacuum - what to do? There is some debri and was wondering how long could I get away with not vacuuming?
    I would get any debri up as soon as you can, I use ro tubing works very well and only takes a little water out, even now mine are over 3weeks vacuum every now and then even though I do 100% water changes twice a day. As for water changes you can use rubbermade trash can and just get a pump and hose to pump it back in. Starting very soon you will be making allot of water changes if you want to keep them healthy.

Tito

Quote Originally Posted by jaykne View Post
    I would get any debri up as soon as you can, I use ro tubing works very well and only takes a little water out, even now mine are over 3weeks vacuum every now and then even though I do 100% water changes twice a day. As for water changes you can use rubbermade trash can and just get a pump and hose to pump it back in. Starting very soon you will be making allot of water changes if you want to keep them healthy.
    That would not be posible in my living room. BUT I do appreciate the advice.

What I have at my disposal is a 25' python that I attach to my bathroom faucet. I vacuum with that and replenish with it. Anything else would basically be unsustainable. Hopefully - I can still raise discus fry for my own enjoyment and fill up my 125 gallon with a nice group of home grown Leopards.

Daily water changes would be no problem - once the fry are large enough to not get sucked into the python vacuum.
    Last edited by Tito; 07-23-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakes View Post
    but it seems odd that out of 7 they are all females.
    I know this is an old post, but isnt the % chance that 7 discus are all females somewhere around a 1% chance that they're all female? Not likely I think. And congrats Tito!!

Tito

Thanks Derek.

Ok I have about 50-55 free swimmers. I'm happy with that amount.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast