ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help 92 gal Tank Sump

Registered Member underwaterforest's Avatar

Default Help 92 gal Tank Sump

I just purchased a used 92 gallon corner tank and when I picked it up I found that it had been drilled for a sump. I have never used a sump before and was wondering if using a sump with discus would be good or should I just plug it up and use a canister filter? I have looked all around the net for designs for sumps and it appears people use everything from old rubber maids to expensive pre made jobbies. What route would you recommend? I have lots of fabrication knowledge/tools so a DIY sump would be fine, but I can bite the bullet and buy a premade one if it is really good. My main purpose for the sump would be a very large bio filter/ possible refugium (with plants) if needed. What Ya Think?

Last edited by underwaterforest; 01-22-2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

Default Re: Help 92 gal Tank Sump

Are you gonna use this as a display tank? If so, I'd just build a sump for it. I don't have any recommendations for one but I'd see what others have done and build it. I like DIY projects and sump would be pretty cool. Somebody posted some pictures of a DIY sump in the planted tank section, and it looked pretty nifty. I'd do some searching around and see what design you want to build off of.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76660

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thanks Eddie. Maybe I will use the tank for display but I'm in no rush to make it look pretty. Initially I will use it as a bare bottom tank since I decided to get all the eruption x LSS discus from Kenny's Feb order. I like the below sump design and I will try to mimic this design with a 10 gallon glass aquarium without the partitions. I don't really see any purpose for the partitions/sponge and it should simply the design. I will keep you all updated when I start the process.

Last edited by underwaterforest; 01-23-2010 at 12:37 AM.
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

That would be a cool one to make, as you say, simple is always easier. The partitions are different stages of filtration. Its all on how you want it to flow and what types of filtration you want.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterforest View Post
    Thanks Eddie. Maybe I will use the tank for display but I'm in no rush to make it look pretty. Initially I will use it as a bare bottom tank since I decided to get all the eruption x LSS discus from Kenny's Feb order. I like the below sump design and I will try to mimic this design with a 10 gallon glass aquarium without the partitions. I don't really see any purpose for the partitions/sponge and it should simply the design. I will keep you all updated when I start the process.

That design will work great. However I would strongly suggest you fit as big of a tank under it as possible (way more than 10gal). When dealing with wet/drys, volume is always important. Only thing I dont like about those 90gal corner tanks is it can make it a little odd on maximizing space under the tank due to shape of stand.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    Only thing I dont like about those 90gal corner tanks is it can make it a little odd on maximizing space under the tank due to shape of stand.

-Ryan
    Very true Ryan, maybe buy a 45 gallon corner tank!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

I'm still trying to understand the sump concept, but as I understand in a usual wet/dry saltwater sump filter bigger is better, but in my case (freshwater) does that still hold true? The only real purpose that I can see in a freshwater tank is a glorified bio-filter and why would the volume of the sump be beneficial? It seems to me that a few gallons of cultured bio-filter media would easily hold enough bacteria for a 90 gallon tank. Could you increase the efficiency of the sump if you added plants to help oxidize the nitrate/nitrite and ammonia, turning it into a freshwater refugium? I really would like to follow the less is more philosophy if I can.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I'm still trying to understand the sump concept, but as I understand in a usual wet/dry saltwater sump filter bigger is better, but in my case (freshwater) does that still hold true? The only real purpose that I can see in a freshwater tank is a glorified bio-filter and why would the volume of the sump be beneficial? It seems to me that a few gallons of cultured bio-filter media would easily hold enough bacteria for a 90 gallon tank. Could you increase the efficiency of the sump if you added plants to help oxidize the nitrate/nitrite and ammonia, turning it into a freshwater refugium? I really would like to follow the less is more philosophy if I can.
    think of the sump as an opportunity to get great filtration into your discus tank. the larger the area, the more filtration media you can place in it. you can never have too much beneficial bacteria/filter floss/etc...

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

think of the sump as an opportunity to get great filtration into your discus tank. the larger the area, the more filtration media you can place in it. you can never have too much beneficial bacteria/filter floss/etc...
    I see that, but if I also run a canister filter along side for filtration purposes could the sump be used primarly as a biofilter and therefore a smaller sump size achieved? I was thinking of running a magnum 350 with a 18 watt UV along with the proposed 10+ gallon sump. Would this be a winning combo or should I still size the sump up to get more Bacteria for the 90 gallon? What size sumps do you use for a 90 gallon tank?

Real Name
    Ricardo

I see that, but if I also run a canister filter along side for filtration purposes could the sump be used primarly as a biofilter and therefore a smaller sump size achieved? I was thinking of running a magnum 350 with a 18 watt UV along with the proposed 10+ gallon sump. Would this be a winning combo or should I still size the sump up to get more Bacteria for the 90 gallon? What size sumps do you use for a 90 gallon tank?
    i think it's a great idea to use a canister filter in conjunction with the sump. if that is the case then yes i guess you could go with a smaller one but again, my way of thinking is if you can get it under the tank, why not maximize your filter? keep in mind that discus LOVE clean water, what better way to do that then over filtering?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

keep in mind that discus LOVE clean water, what better way to do that then over filtering?
    So true rick, I guess I will look around for a larger glass tank (20+ gallon?) or maybe just use a rubbbermaid ( though the plasticizer in the rubber tub makes me a little nervous). Do you think a plastic tub will be a problem to discus?

This is my setup and it works very well.. I have 4 trays and a biowheel that work with the sump. Heater is in the holding tank along with the sump. No problems yet.. (knocking on wood) This tray system give you a lot of flexibilty to use different medias to maintain your water. good luck with it! out of curiousity how much did you spend on it ? (pm me if you want)

caparzo, your pictures didn't make it. Is your tray setup like the one Eddie posted in the link? I paid 275 for the tank with stand and canopy. I know corner tanks can be a pain to setup but the space savings of a corner tanks IMO cannot be beat. Especially since I never use the corners in my households and it is a perfect spot for a tank, plus they look really cool with the bow front.

I would agree that you need much more than 10 gals for a 90g....in NJ had a commercial premade (made for up to 120gals)wet/dry under my 90g SW tank & found if I was away more than cpl days the evaporation was a potential problem, (overflow, not drilled)....what do you guys recommend to do 'bout that problem....mine is still packed away, afraid to set it up 'til I beat that one...don't have a constant drip system....

Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Registered Member

My older 75gal Oceanic trickle filter model 75 system has a 20 gal tank as a sump. It's quite forgiving wrt overfilling, and evaporation is low because the sump is covered pretty tightly. I intend to overfill it on purpose if our 2 weeks away from home vacation materializes next summer. It has a sponge prefilter on the overflow standpipe which I clean a couple of times a week, siphon mulm from the sump only infrequently. I run a couple of sponge filters in the tank, too, because I don't like to rely on any one method exclusively. It works quite well, converting waste into nitrates readily, even with heavy feeding.

Most marine sump systems have much bigger pumps than required for fresh water discus keeping. Marine invertebrates benefit greatly from the scouring action of strong currents- discus not so much. More flow means more noise, too, with the sound of running water being a prominent feature of virtually all sump systems.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast