AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Eheim Sludge Extractor

Default Eheim Sludge Extractor

So after my experience with Petsmart-Online, I decided to order the Sludge Extractor from DrsFosterandSmith.com.

I placed the order at 8:30pm, got a message at 9pm that it had shipped and it arrived the next day. Not bad for $5.99 shipping costs.

I tried the Sludge Extractor and mostly I am happy with it.

It certainly puts some fine particles in to the water, but 30 minutes or so later with the micron filter turned on, the water is crystal clear.

I have found it to be easier to use, than setting up the 50ft python, that I had.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/album.php?albumid=94

Default Re: Eheim Sludge Extractor

Great to hear Stew...thanks for sharing your experience!

Stew, How much was the extractor ?? Is it for polishing the water ?? Like a hot magnum ?? I may need a protein skimmer for my seahorses.. Is that similar ??

Quote Originally Posted by dpt8 View Post
    Stew, How much was the extractor ?? Is it for polishing the water ?? Like a hot magnum ?? I may need a protein skimmer for my seahorses.. Is that similar ??
    It is for vacuuming the gravel. It is self contained, so it passes water through the bag and back in to the tank.

Cost $60.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3895

Stew...do you think if you replaced the bag with a finer micron bag.... i.e. 200 microns that "stuff" would still get through?

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    Stew...do you think if you replaced the bag with a finer micron bag.... i.e. 200 microns that "stuff" would still get through?
    The bag isn't really a bag as such.

More of a fine plastic mesh that is stuck to a tube

I think I could get some floss in there, but I am not sre how easily it will come back out.

I"ll give an update if I can work out how to do it.

- Stew

Gold Member

I'm sure you can easily stick a thin layer of floss around it. I'd also buy rechargeable batteries for it. It uses 4 AA batteries. The vacuum power is heightened if you don't use the bottom piece of plastic because it shortens the break point of water and shortens circulation. It'll creates a better vacuum overall.

I actually like it because it's easy to use and I just vacuum leftover food and anything else that I don't like in between water changes easily so I don't have to wait until the water change to do it. It works fine for BB tanks as well and I can really suck out anything without the need for siphoning or changing water.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.