ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flukes, anyone have success?

Registered Member

Default Flukes, anyone have success?

I have had a mild problem with flukes for years it seems. Whenever I think they are gone ... well there they are again. I am tired of keeping one tank of discus in quarantine for 3 years now, afraid to spread flukes to my other tanks. I have tried formalin, Quick Cure, salt bath and then into a sterile tank, and Prazi. Anyone out there had success in completely getting rid of these pests? My fish are healthy but whenever I try to breed them the fry have problems. I have kept them seperate from my other stock which, under microscope, or from observation, dont show signs of flukes.
    Scott

Default Re: Flukes, anyone have success?

Harriett has a great write up in this post:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showpo...09&postcount=5 that might help and Jerry just posted a potential new treatment here:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76928.

HTHs,
    -jim
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Registered Member

Thanks, I did read the minnfin treatment post. I have not used pp and for some reason have been leary to do so . I guess if I want to get rid of them I will have to bite the bullet. So far, it is the only method I have read about where people claim they have gotten rid of flukes for any period of time.
    Scott

Anti-fluke, the best...hands down. Better than Formalin or PP

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Is it anti-fluke lifebearer??? what dose you use??
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Anti-fluke, the best...hands down. Better than Formalin or PP

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by moik View Post
    Is it anti-fluke lifebearer??? what dose you use??
    Yup, Life Bearer. The amount recommended on the bottle, 1 drop per gallon.

Can't even remember that last time my fish had flukes.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

I think Ill try the anti fluke first, before I try PP
    Scott

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Yup, Life Bearer. The amount recommended on the bottle, 1 drop per gallon.

Can't even remember that last time my fish had flukes.
    i've heard a couple people saying that the Life Bearer is a little harsh on the fish, any truth to that Eddie? can it be used with dither fish and scaleless fish? plants?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    i've heard a couple people saying that the Life Bearer is a little harsh on the fish, any truth to that Eddie? can it be used with dither fish and scaleless fish? plants?
    You can use it with plants but not tetras or scaleless fish. I've used it with plecos before but I didn't care if they died or not and they didn't die. And this was at double the dose. Bottle recommends another dose after 24 hours, so this is total of 2 drops per gallon.

About the harshness, it can be harsh on the fish. They will go off food, turn pale, eyes turn dark (lose redness), and the fish can become skittish.

Its take a few days for them to return to normal. Also, Life Bearer (trichlorfon) is extremely toxic to humans. It can be absorbed in through the skin VERY easy so its best to not touch the tank water at all.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Good info Eddie, you are right about effects on the fish i have noticed the same, however i didn't know about the dangers to humans, i will be more carefull in the future. I have had a run of flukes in about 50% of my tanks over the last few days. i am using the tablet form of trichorfon by aquarium science. after 24hrs i noticed the tanks that had visible flukes on fish went quite cloudy, anyone have the same thing happen when they treat with this drug?
    Regards,

The best results I have had have been using prazinquantel in the pure form. For some reason it is terrifyingly expensive in the UK. Not in any of so called easy to use formats like praazi pro, truth is I have never had much success using prazi pro. Dissolved in DMSO and used for an extended time has always worked for me.

I have heard speculation that there are some super flukes out there that are resistant to prazinquantel, not come across any myself and I hope that it is only speculation.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milbourne View Post
    Good info Eddie, you are right about effects on the fish i have noticed the same, however i didn't know about the dangers to humans, i will be more carefull in the future. I have had a run of flukes in about 50% of my tanks over the last few days. i am using the tablet form of trichorfon by aquarium science. after 24hrs i noticed the tanks that had visible flukes on fish went quite cloudy, anyone have the same thing happen when they treat with this drug?
    Regards,
    Hey there Ben, sorry to hear about the flukes. I never experienced any cloudiness from using trichlorfon. There are a few things that can effect trichlorfon, like temperature and light.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    The best results I have had have been using prazinquantel in the pure form. For some reason it is terrifyingly expensive in the UK. Not in any of so called easy to use formats like praazi pro, truth is I have never had much success using prazi pro. Dissolved in DMSO and used for an extended time has always worked for me.

I have heard speculation that there are some super flukes out there that are resistant to prazinquantel, not come across any myself and I hope that it is only speculation.
    Hey Paul,
    How much DMSO are you using to dissolve the prazi powder? Measured amount or just enough to liquefy?
    Thanks, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    Hey Paul,
    How much DMSO are you using to dissolve the prazi powder? Measured amount or just enough to liquefy?
    Thanks, Bill
    Use just enough to get a liquid.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Thanks for al the great ideas. Eddie, have you seen any flukes since treating with antifluke? I thought I had success using Prazi in the pure form as Paul suggested. No more scratching etc. from my adults. However, they spawned and some of the fry started breathing from one gill and died. I cut a piece of gill and looked under scope-a bunch of those ugly critters. They are hard to destroy IMO.
    Scott

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast