AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flukes, anyone have success?

Default Re: Flukes, anyone have success?

Scott
    Does your bottle of Anti-Fluke call for 10 drops (or one capfull) per gallon? I bought a bottle of AP Anti-Fluke that didn't say Lifebearer on it and those were the directions. Same med but much more diluted. I won't make that mistake again.

Kacey

Registered Member

Yes, that is what I have. It is a waste of time you think? I paid only 2.99 a bottle. Eddie and others said they had success with anti-fluke. Maybe not this type?
    Scott

The same company, I believe, making different concentrations of the same med. I've seen a variety of different labels as well for this same product. Sometimes, the pond form is the better buy given it tends to be more concentrated and that's good if you need a ton. The amount will differ depending. In short, you should be just fine.

Not a waste of time at all. It will work just as well but it's more expensive due to it's being so diluted.

Kacey

This link might be the product you have. http://www.aq-products.com/APpro/antifluke.htm
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

Registered Member

So does anyone know of a good online store that have the 16 oz containers?

Registered Member

I had what I thought was a case of flukes last June. I read up pretty hard on the subject. I didn't have a microscope at the time. Part of what I learned is that many aquarium flukes are egg-layers, which makes them difficult to eradicate, because most meds won't kill the eggs. I also learned that fluke eggs apparently hatch in 4 days or so at aquarium temps, taking much longer at pond temps, particularly winter temps. It also takes flukes more than 4 days to mature to the egg laying stage.

I tried prazipro, which seemed to be working, but had very limited effectiveness. That confirmed my belief that flukes were my problem, and also established that they were resistant to prazi.

I didn't know about anti fluke lifebearer at the time, but I'd discovered thru the literature that trichlorphon was effective against flukes. I found that ingredient in Clout, along with victoria green and metro. Mindful of the fluke lifecycle, I dosed three times at lights out- thursday, monday, and again on the following friday, iirc. Trichlorphon breaks down after just a few hours in the water, but I used carbon in a box filter on the in-between days and after the last treatment, just to get rid of the other ingredients, along with my usual 50% daily water changes. I also scrubbed the medicated water up under the aquarium rim each time. I cleaned the buckets, siphons and nets in a bleach solution each time. The fish tolerated it well, and my biofilter wasn't hammered.

It worked. I've had no fluke-like symptoms since then.

I can't speak to the effect of Clout on other kinds of fish or plants, because I don't have any...

Quote Originally Posted by ikevi View Post
    So does anyone know of a good online store that have the 16 oz containers?
    Hard to find the 16 oz containers, the last time I bought some, just picked up 4 ea 4 oz containers.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by scottthomas View Post
    Thanks David,

Looks to be the same stuff I guess. The bottle I purchased says: AP ANTI-FLUKE (but does not say life bearer) ingrediants trichloromethyl hydroxy dimethyl. After a few hours I can actually see that the fish are not stressed and actually seem to be breathing better, as if has relieved some of their gill discomfort.
    Thats the stuff Scott, and that is the technical name for Trichlorfon. Told you it works.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showpo...09&postcount=5

I wrote this treatment protocol up and it was already mentioned in post #2 here. I know this is a tough issue to be successful with. I would like to encourage you to read the method I used--I had aleady treated carefully twice and they still had come back...these were a dozen wonderful 3 month old juvies and I wanted to just end the saga. I asked Andrew Soh for help and everything I wrote up was specifically what and how he directed me to aproach it. I am now 6 months or so post Andrew's treatments and this group of fish have shown zero reinfestations or symptoms of flukes--they are clean. They have grown like mad. It was a fair amount of work AND IT WORKED COMPLETELY.
    Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
    Best regards,
    Harriett

The link is not working..

Gold Member

Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Registered Member

I wrote this treatment protocol up and it was already mentioned in post #2 here. I know this is a tough issue to be successful with. I would like to encourage you to read the method I used--I had aleady treated carefully twice and they still had come back...these were a dozen wonderful 3 month old juvies and I wanted to just end the saga. I asked Andrew Soh for help and everything I wrote up was specifically what and how he directed me to aproach it. I am now 6 months or so post Andrew's treatments and this group of fish have shown zero reinfestations or symptoms of flukes--they are clean. They have grown like mad. It was a fair amount of work AND IT WORKED COMPLETELY.
    Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
    Best regards,
    Harriett
    Thank you for that great write up. I will certainly consider your method if I continue to have problems with flukes. It is comforting to hear that some have had success eradicating these pests. I believe many more have problems with flukes and are unaware because they have not used a microscope to confirm.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottthomas View Post
    Thank you for that great write up. I will certainly consider your method if I continue to have problems with flukes. It is comforting to hear that some have had success eradicating these pests. I believe many more have problems with flukes and are unaware because they have not used a microscope to confirm.
    Microscope is the way to go! Like I mentioned Scott, Anti-Fluke is "The One".
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

So Far so Good. I was losing 2-3 fry per day. I dosed yesterday and today, all the fry are eating, no darkness, and no flared gills, no deaths. I have not looked under the scope yet. I will in a few days. I am thinking of doing a wc and then after skipping a day, redosing for a total of 6 days and 3 doses. Trying to catch hatching eggs. What do you think? Thanks for the advice Eddie!
    Scott

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast