AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: North East Discus Meeting, Winter 2010!!!!

Default Re: North East Discus Meeting, Winter 2010!!!!

Everyone is always welcome up to my place!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi all,
    I've been getting alot of requests for information on the Next North East Discus Meeting.. I've been real busy lately but I decided I better get my self going on this....

The Next get together will be held at my home in Northford CT.... on Sat March 6th...

The get together will run from 2:00pm to when ever.

I'll post more information as we get closer...but I wanted to get the date out there...

The agenda so far...

• Meet and greet social

• Discus topic to be announced.....I really hope to see all of our group again.... I do have an idea for something a bit different.

• Dinner...Potluck works well...and I'll suppliment what ever we need.

• Socialize some more.

To those that are in the Northeast USA and nearby...we get together several times a year as an un-official association and get to know area hobbyists in a social setting. We also build into this get together a discussion or presentation.

There is no fee to attend...no fee to join... no registration... all are welcome to attend.....alls I really need to know is if you are coming....spouses and children are always welcome.

So there you have it... Let the fun begin!

take care,
    al

so... who is coming?
    hello when is the next meeting thanks

Registered Member

hello when is the next meeting thanks

Hi David,

I know you have asked this question twice and let me take this time to give you an idea. The idea on NEDA was to meet 3-4 times a yr - we had our first meet.

I have not reached out to Al on this myself yet as to what he is thinking, but all I will say is - "stay tuned"

I am responding to this only from a stance of a hobbyist that is part of this group.
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

We aren't really organized. I'm not under the impression that Al is 'life-time president.' How about someone in the area offer up their home or other location and a date for the next meet?

I've offered my place. There has been no interest, may be because it is north of the border.
    Passports are now mandatory.

I'd for sure offer up my place...lots of parking spaces, room for RV hookups, wildlife to watch, nat'l park to surf, big lake to fish & boat 5 miles away.....but too bad, it's way too far southwest for anyone to get to...LOL!! If anyone wants a roadtrip, c'mon down!!

Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Passports are now mandatory.
    Not a problem for me, but the drive to Canada is long. Although I must say that I-89 is one of the most scenic highways in the Northeast region.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    We aren't really organized. I'm not under the impression that Al is 'life-time president.' How about someone in the area offer up their home or other location and a date for the next meet?
    Hardly! I've already got that role here at Simply! Lol....I'm just the Guy who started the ball rolling, Helps keep it rolling when I can, and often gives the group a place to throw the Ball around in between looking at discus. Others are always welcome to play ball and suggest game dates. I like sharing work.

As for next meetings...
    Personally , I'd like to see something in late July/August..With NADA's Discus show coming up in June..I don't want to really plan anything before as I want to encourage everyone to attend that show in Texas if they can. . If the group wants to schedule before NADAs show..I'll leave that out there as an option for all you to discuss, just my thoughts here.

As for where...I will again hold it here if we can't settle on an alternate local....I do have an idea for one of our next meetings either fall or winter...not thought out yet completely. Joe sorry there hasn't been any interest.. Drop me a Pm when you have a chance.... I have an idea to discuss with you for something.

One thing volunteers need to consider is space , we had close to 50 people at the last meeting....If you offer to host it, be sure you have the space if it rains... or that you are willing to organize the meeting to be held elsewhere than your home....... as we continue to grow that may be what we need to do... Theres alot of options, but just be aware.

Questions anyone has, feel free to bounce them off me by pm or email...or here in this thread....what ever you are comfortable with.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    One thing volunteers need to consider is space , we had close to 50 people at the last meeting....If you offer to host it, be sure you have the space if it rains... or that you are willing to organize the meeting to be held elsewhere than your home....... as we continue to grow that may be what we need to do...
    We may be a victim of our own success. I think it's grown to the point that many, if not most people, like myself, cannot host an event because our homes are too small. This leaves a very few people, Al included, who are responsible for hosting. I think we need to think seriously about where we want to go from here. I'd like to see us organized a bit more, and doing different things. A few individuals are hosting a few get-togethers a year. I enjoy them immensely, but there is so much more we can now do. It would be interesting to see what we could do with some fund-raising and an account for NEDA activities.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    We may be a victim of our own success. I think it's grown to the point that many, if not most people, like myself, cannot host an event because our homes are too small. This leaves a very few people, Al included, who are responsible for hosting. I think we need to think seriously about where we want to go from here. I'd like to see us organized a bit more, and doing different things. A few individuals are hosting a few get-togethers a year. I enjoy them immensely, but there is so much more we can now do. It would be interesting to see what we could do with some fund-raising and an account for NEDA activities.
    Let me step back a little - as I am part of this group since meet 1 - one of the standing foundational concept was to organize social get together of us and talk face to face (vs. posts and PMs) and eat and drink. The idea around hosting in each other places is only matter of inviting us friends/hobbyists over to each others houses, fish rooms whatever we may choose to call it. I think of this as an extension to any other family events with relatives/friends in normal setup.

Common Goal: chit-chat, eat , drink and get on to the race next day.

I don't see a reason why we couldn't do what you plan to do as part of this setup. I think last meets idea of each hobbyists sharing what they have was a gr8 idea.
    To your question where do go from here - I personally would say keep it simple - meet at a house - eat, drink , talk fish, share interesting topics - make it a picnic.

You yourself are a great friend, gr8 knowledgeable hobbyist. What are your thoughts?
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

A NEDA show comes to mind. We'd need an account (treasurer), and fund raisers like, perhaps, a yearly auction. It would be nice to have funds to make trips, like the Boston Aquarium, perhaps, or the Bronz Zoo...

Quote Originally Posted by ashaysathe View Post
    Let me step back a little - as I am part of this group since meet 1 - one of the standing foundational concept was to organize social get together of us and talk face to face (vs. posts and PMs) and eat and drink. The idea around hosting in each other places is only matter of inviting us friends/hobbyists over to each others houses, fish rooms whatever we may choose to call it. I think of this as an extension to any other family events with relatives/friends in normal setup.

I don't see a reason why we couldn't do what you plan to do as part of this setup. I think last meets idea of each hobbyists sharing what they have was a gr8 idea.
    To your question where do go from here - I personally would say keep it simple - meet at a house - eat, drink , talk fish, share interesting topics - make it a picnic.

You yourself are a great friend, gr8 knowledgeable hobbyist. What are your thoughts?
    I agree with you Ashay.

Thumbs up Re: North East Discus Meeting, Winter 2010!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ashaysathe View Post

Asahy,
    I agree with you completely- Simpler seems better to me too!

I know my attendance has been sporatic @ meetings, but always have a great time when I'm there!

The loose format works well, allowing you to roam around & talk to other hobbyist about thier various areas of experience(ex. Steve-planted tanks).

IMHO-Too much organization could make meetings seem like a chore, instead of just fun.

***Al-thanks for all your work to allow others to just enjoy themselves!***

Looking forward to summer meet in CT (or wherever it ends up)

Peace,
    Rob
    If you get confused... Listen to the music play-
    Jerry Garcia

Well guys....if you would like to make the trip north of the border you guys are more than welcome at my home

More than enough fishies around here for everyone to check out

Evelyn
    Don't let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things you can!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast