ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Discus color breeding from scratch

Registered Member

Default Re: Wild Discus color breeding from scratch

Hi John...I seen those Piwowarski RT's...I LOVE those. I wish they were for sale in the States. That's what I would like to end up with with my future goals. I don't even want to click on that other link, knowing who it belongs to...Bill

Registered Member

Good luck in your venture. I would prefer to own and keep the exact type of dicus that is your goal to eventually breed. A discus that has all of the best wild traits, colors, and markings, and that is better adapted to aquarium conditions where we keep domestic strains. I have been searching for very wild looking crosses or tank raised wilds and they are difficult to find. I hope you are successful.
    Scott

Registered Member

Sometimes things go diferently as planned. In my previous post I mentioned I looked for F1 wilds,.... no luck, changed plan and went for domesticated alenquer,.....bad luck and poor qualety except for one,....soooo final plan was to cross RT and the one domesticated alenquer and bring in some wild blood later on. I send an e-mail to Rob de Fouw (Aquazonia) and guess what,....he just had in a batch of 50 F1 Curipera around 2 inch in size!!! WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!! I feel like a little kid again! Just went to Rob and bought 10 of them. They are only 1 hour in my tank and some already ate artemis! I gues it is no surprise I skip the plans I mentioned before. I will keep only one pair of RT and sell of all the remaining fish. I will focus on the "wilds" and I will keep the line pure. When the fish are settled I will put some pics on here. They are dull plane fish right now but that will change.

Registered Member

Congrats on the purchase!...Sounds like an excellent buy. I would change my plans too!...Don't forget the pics...Bill

Congrats on your find. And just when you're ready to give up on the wilds. Remember the discus mantra...Paitence....Patience...Patience...

Kacey

Registered Member

Thanks Bill and Kacey!

Hahaha,...no Bill I won't forget the pics but they are still small fish and don't show coloration yet so don't have to high expectations.

Remember the discus mantra...Paitence....Patience...Patience...
    Haha,...my biggest challenge is always patience. Luckely this time it has payed off. The Curipera and Nhamunda belong to my favorite. I like browns with the red to red/brown body color.

Now,....I have to find the correct name for the fish before Heiko jumps in

Aaah just found it CUIPEUÁ

Registered Member

I had to check your new little guys out, Ruurd.
    They are nice looking youngsters.
    We will be starting out with F1 Blues of about the same age/size.
    It will be interesting to see how long they take to reach breeding age.
    I think it will take maybe twice as long as many strains of domestics which have been selectively bred for rapid growth and maturation. I bred red tuquoise successfully as early as 10 months old. I think the F1's will need about 18 to 24 months to mature.

It has been a long time since I last bred and raised some wild S. haraldi and at the time I had no experience with any domestic discus so I thought they grow pretty well compared to Angelfish. I bred 4 different wild pairs before my first domestics spawned. But looking back on those days and comparing them to my domestic discus experience I have to say that domestic discus do grow very fast. I sold all my F1's so I never did find out how long they would have taken to mature under my care.
    Larry Waybright

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch dude View Post

Great looking juvies Ruurd, all the best with them!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

F1's from Amazon Basement?

Dan
    Last edited by Dasch; 02-16-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Registered Member

Hi there,

Thanks for checking out Larry. It will indeed be interesting to watch them grow, defelop and mature. I already detected some differences in behaviour compared to domestics. This is my first "wild" expirience and I'm fairly new to discus as well (2 years). So this will be a great learning process.

Thanks Eddie and good to hear you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    I had to check your new little guys out, Ruurd.
    They are nice looking youngsters.
    We will be starting out with F1 Blues of about the same age/size.
    It will be interesting to see how long they take to reach breeding age.
    I think it will take maybe twice as long as many strains of domestics which have been selectively bred for rapid growth and maturation. I bred red tuquoise successfully as early as 10 months old. I think the F1's will need about 18 to 24 months to mature.

It has been a long time since I last bred and raised some wild S. haraldi and at the time I had no experience with any domestic discus so I thought they grow pretty well compared to Angelfish. I bred 4 different wild pairs before my first domestics spawned. But looking back on those days and comparing them to my domestic discus experience I have to say that domestic discus do grow very fast. I sold all my F1's so I never did find out how long they would have taken to mature under my care.
    Larry
    Have you given up trying to breed Heckels?

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Hi John...I seen those Piwowarski RT's...I LOVE those. I wish they were for sale in the States. That's what I would like to end up with with my future goals. I don't even want to click on that other link, knowing who it belongs to...Bill
    Bill
    I am picking up 10 of the Piwowarski fry from Vlad on Feb. 27th.
    These are F6 generation and hope they turn out to be like the originals.

Registered Member

Good for you Moon!...Those are sweet. I'm jealous!...Please post some pics when you get them...Bill

Hi Moon,

Yes, i gave up trying to breed Heckels and i sold all mine last April.
    I decided that for all practical purposes they are impossible to breed in captivity.
    I am going to work with S, haraldi and maybe some S. aequifasciata.
    I'm finding it is much more profitable for me to breed small fancy Plecos and I added 10 wild Hypancistrus zebra to my collection last summer. I think they could begin breeding in another 18 months and it's hard to beat a fish one can raise in a 20 long and fetch $200 each out of them. And I have several other species of pretty plecos which sell well. too.
    They don't take nearly as much work to raise as discus once you get them breeding.

I'll leave trying to breed Heckel Discus and Altum Angels to the optimists.
    Larry Waybright

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast