AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wild Discus color breeding from scratch

Registered Member

Default Re: Wild Discus color breeding from scratch

Maybe we should be looking into the use of Ovaprim or other hormone release spawning agents.....so long as the female has good mature eggs you can use it with relative success. With new modern techniques you can even avoid using direct IM injection via ovarian lavage. No one in the industry that I know of has ever used it on wild discus. Might be worth just to play around with it and see how it would work (cant hand strip the fish, but it might allow for normal spawning to occur). Food for thought

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Registered Member

The more I think about it, the more im convinced something like that would work....hrmm

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher

I feel like Heckels could use a little boost timed to coincide with their breeding season and the simulated transition from dry to wet season conditions, too.
    They are just too hard to breed completely naturally for those of us who only live once.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    I feel like Heckels could use a little boost timed to coincide with their breeding season and the simulated transition from dry to wet season conditions, too.
    They are just too hard to breed completely naturally for those of us who only live once.
    If the females are the ones not willing to spawn, a spawning agent like Ovaprim might do the trick for them to release (spawn) eggs. Unfortunate side is that no one here that I know of has worked with hormones like Ovaprim, and I cant devote enough time to be doing it myself.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456