AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are discus so expensive ?

Registered Member

Default Re: Why are discus so expensive ?

get a dog it's cheaper and you can take it places so you can enjoy it a lil more.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    hope they teach spelling in crazy land! good luck with your "preditor" tank and if you feed them discus...my point is proven...

rodrigo
    +1
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2funkids View Post
    get a dog it's cheaper and you can take it places so you can enjoy it a lil more.
    Thought you were signing out....guess the grasp is too strong.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Why are discus so expensive?

They are the largest, most beautiful and gratifying fresh water tropical fish. The interact with their owners. They have personalities. And, did I mention, they are truly beautiful?

As for expensive, I suggest pricing koi . . . that should make you think again about the cost of discus.

Just my 2 cents.
    Amen Don...
    Tom
    ----------------------
    75 DT (couple angels and some loaches for now); 30 Gal Peacock Mantis/Reef Habitat;

this kids got some serious issues... keep your eyes on your fish people, they may end up in a "preditor tank."lol...
    and i take my fish everywhere i go...camera phone.
    Last edited by Jason K.; 02-04-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: add text
    Jay,

the reason i like discus?... is discus seem to like me.

Gold Member

This thread makes me !
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I like Lamborghinis, not Hyundais.
    I drink imported beer because it tastes better

Okay...Are Discus overpriced? They must not be, people keep spending big $$$ on them!

I researched and looked and looked some more. I am getting 6 baby Discus for 90.00$ Will they be as AMAZING as some Discus here that cost 280.00? Probably not.

But how many of you that spend hundreds on Discus will EVER show or breed them for profit? 10% maybe.

I think lots of people here like the discus,or they wouldnt be here...BUT I think lots of purchases are made for the " Oh Man your fish are GREAT....." feedback they get here. Peer recognition.

I dont need expensive fish because,well, Myself ,my Wife and a couple friends will be the only ones to EVER see them. Will a 280$ ARDG lull me to sleep any more my 15.00$ San Merah? You answer that yourself.

Dave
    Last edited by phatdave; 02-04-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    I haven't changed the Discus world!

Quote Originally Posted by phatdave View Post
    Okay...Are Discus overpriced? They must not be, people keep spending big $$$ on them!

I researched and looked and looked some more. I am getting 6 baby Discus for 90.00$ As AMAZING as some Discus here that cost 280.00? Probably not.

But how many of you that spend hundred on fish will EVER show or breed them for profit? 10% maybe.

I think lots of people here like the discus,or they wouldnt be here...BUT I think lots of purchases are made for the " Oh Man your fish are GREAT....." feedback they get here. Peer recognition.

I dont need expensive fish because,well, Myself ,my Wife and a couple friends will be the only ones to EVER see them. Will a 280$ ARDG lull me to sleep any more my 15.00$ San Merah? You answer that yourself.

Dave
    Dave, you should test drive a Lamborghini.......
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Eddie, enough of the analogies.Really.

I understand the..." If they don't make the good stuff for me ,who do they make it for..." thought process.

I understand the fact that Discus are hard to breed. I understand that they produce limited amounts of fry, unlike Guppies...which sell for a buck two ninety five.

...I will post pics this Saturday...2-6-10 of my 6 Discus 2-3" ers that are being brought to me from Seattle. 15$ per fish. If they suck I bow to all of you Naysayers. If they are good quality fish....Well, whatever!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 2funkids View Post
    eddie, I'm doing a preditor tank and discus is for lunch !!! lol
    Don't be a Douce bag!

Gold Member

I researched and looked and looked some more. I am getting 6 baby Discus for 90.00$ As AMAZING as some Discus here that cost 280.00? Probably not.

But how many of you that spend hundred on fish will EVER show or breed them for profit? 10% maybe.

Dave
    To each his own is what I'll say and that's fine with me. I respect your opinion on this.

Personally, I don't really care for what others have to say about anything I do because in the end; I answer to myself and my conscience (given the fact that I consider myself a highly rational person to the point of seemingly illogical to the norm). Now, as far as getting expensive things go, I feel that some things are priced the way they are because of the sheer quality of it.

Discus can be considered something of this caliber. It's the quality that catches my eye and it makes me happy to get it. It doesn't matter if it's only $1 or $1,000. If that discus is worth it to me, then I would gladly pay that much for it because I like it. Indeed, not everyone may have the luxury to afford high quality or expensive things but one can't really comment on it until they at least try it out to appreciate it.

To me, recognition is far less important than personal gratification. That is the bottom line for me; which is the same as yours but we just have different taste, .

Eddie, enough of the analogies.Really.

I understand the..." If they don't make the good stuff for me ,who do they make it for..." thought process.

I understand the fact that Discus are hard to breed. I understand that they produce limited amounts of fry, unlike Guppies...which sell for a buck two ninety five.

...I will post pics this Saturday...2-6-10 of my 6 Discus 2-3" ers that are being brought to me from Seattle. 15$ per fish. If they suck I bow to all of you Naysayers. If they are good quality fish....Well, whatever!

Dave
    Dave,

I hope they are not the left over fish from Fishking...please be careful and quarentine them.

Rodrigo

Spardas... Well Said.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    Dave,

I hope they are not the left over fish from Fishking...please be careful and quarentine them.

Rodrigo
    I think he's getting them from Bobbyswaterworld something?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast