AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Why are discus so expensive ?

Default Re: Why are discus so expensive ?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I still think we're missing the point here. Cost and price are totally different things.

How much did it cost to create the latest World of Warcraft? Is it related to the selling price? NO How much does it cost to produce a can of Coke? How much do you pay for it in a hotel vending machine? Price is unrelated to cost, totally related to perceived value.

If I have a source of great discus, I'm going to charge an arm and a leg for it. If people think my fish are great, they're going to clean me out. If they do, I'm going to raise prices. If my fish don't sell at the price, I'm going to drop prices to move them.

It happens that producing high quality discus IS a lot more expensive than producing high quality guppies. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to add a much higher premium on top of the cost of production to sell my fish.

Remember the old saying, "if something sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true"? That applies to discus as well. Trust me, I've been there.

Willie
    Excellent post.

Tito

Discus - like any other drug will cost you dearly.

So far - I have not been addicted so the drug dealer has not enslaved me. I use Discus as a vice but I am not dependant on it.

Plus I am now making my own product in my lab. So now I don't even need the guy in the corner.

Live and direct from the South Bronx - Discus ghetto talk 101.

It is possible that if this drug gets out of control - we may begin seeing Discus anonymous clinics opening up.
    Last edited by Tito; 11-11-2010 at 11:46 AM.

for that few months.. have been growing out about 30 from fry to juvies.. it takes lots of time, patience, wc, food and care.. so hell yea! buying a 3-4-5-6 in fish is going to cost.. they ain't know freaking guppies!!!

so there will be cost ADDED to the sale.. its simple economics..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Tito

Because they are the most colorful freshwater fish you can keep in your aquarium. They rival the color of Marine fish for a fraction of the cost in stock, equipement and maintenance.

So that's why you can charge so much for Discus.

... why are they so cheap?...

Quote Originally Posted by peterhql View Post
    ... why are they so cheap?...

no kidding
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

well i used to pay more than a few thousand bucks for a dumb asian arowana, discus is much a better bargain if you ask me. if you buy an adult discus you prob pay for what you get. asian arowanas, they call it super red which means yellow or light orange in color and the few thousand bucks, well that is for a "6 juvi asian arowana thats only a few months old. you have no idea how it will turn out. discus is hard work and high maintenance, but the beauty and certainty of the fish when bought as adults, well its a great bargain. you pay for what you get.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789