AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coloration of juvenile Discus

Registered Member

Default Coloration of juvenile Discus

I ordered five Discus online, all different varieties. The fish are all 2 inches to slightly bigger and seem fairly healthy. My problem is they don't appear to be the types I ordered, and I can't see at least two of them changing color sufficiently to ever being anywhere near what I ordered.

My main question is can a Discus that should be a light/white base color with red stripes start off dark gray/blue juvenile? What sort of color changes can these fish go through from juvenile to adult?

Registered Member

Default Re: Coloration of juvenile Discus

I think some pictures would be really helpful here.

As a general rule and depending on the strain that you are talking about, young discus can look pretty different from how they will end up at adults. But this really depends on the type. For example, a blue diamond isn't going to change from 2.5 inches to 6 inches, but a white butterfly might start out pink/orange and slowly get white as it matures. This trend is also true for many spotted fish.

What strains are you curious about?

Best of luck.
    - Kevin

The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket.

and all depend what kinda food that you gonna feed them
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

what strains did you buy? and who did you order through?
    Jay,

the reason i like discus?... is discus seem to like me.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishshaped View Post
    what strains did you buy? and who did you order through?
    I got them from somethingphishy, mainly because I live five miles away and the fish were only in transit 13 hours. They all look healthy and are settling in well. They have only been in the tank 24 hours and have already eaten, and are moving about the tank. Still skittish though but that is to be expected with new juveniles.

I picked the following on his website but I am not even sure if his names for the strains are correct:

AquaGreen Scribble
    Baby Blue Panda
    Red Turquoise
    Ruby Red Mosaic
    Siam Red Master

Real Name
    Ricardo

I'm sorry but you should of researched somethingfishy here on SD. They have been bad to deal with and I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you completely different strains than what you ordered. Pics would help tremendously at this point

Quote Originally Posted by mjs020294 View Post
    I got them from somethingphishy, mainly because I live five miles away and the fish were only in transit 13 hours. They all look healthy and are settling in well. They have only been in the tank 24 hours and have already eaten, and are moving about the tank. Still skittish though but that is to be expected with new juveniles.

I picked the following on his website but I am not even sure if his names for the strains are correct:

AquaGreen Scribble
    Baby Blue Panda
    Red Turquoise
    Ruby Red Mosaic
    Siam Red Master

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

This is the best picture I could get:

The biggest one is about 2.5 inches.

If you only live 5 miles away why wouldnt you have went there to see what you wanted to buy? 13 hours to ship 5 miles is absurd.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bettebulldog View Post
    If you only live 5 miles away why wouldnt you have went there to see what you wanted to buy? 13 hours to ship 5 miles is absurd.
    Its an online retailer only, no exceptions. He operates from a private address, and can't have people visiting.

Registered Member

Considering where they came from, they look better than I thought they would. Feed them well, and change water frequently, and they should grow and color up nicely. In the future if you want to buy new Discus, check out the sposor section on here...Bill

Registered Member

I had low expectations myself TBH. His prices were very good, $77 for all five, and because I am very close I wasn't too worried about poor customer service. I can do a lot of damage to a house with a one iron and a bag of balls.

The fish on the middle right is fairly small, maybe 1.75 inch, and it has started to get really bright red strips. The one on the far left is looking really good already. I am just not 100% convinced they are what I ordered but I guess you get what you pay for.

Its a 90g tank so we will add another three or four. Next time I will buy them a little older and from a store where I can pick them out.

Registered Member

Is always best when you can pick them yourselves. The ones you have now may or may not be what you ordered, but like I said, not too bad otherwise. The thing is, that they are living creatures, and you have to give them the best care you can now, no matter what strain they turn into. Best of luck...Bill

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Is always best when you can pick them yourselves. The ones you have now may or may not be what you ordered, but like I said, not too bad otherwise. The thing is, that they are living creatures, and you have to give them the best care you can now, no matter what strain they turn into. Best of luck...Bill

Tell me about it.....the wife is already treating them like babies.

What foods would you recommend with juveniles. We have frozen beef heart, frozen discus cubes, frozen blood worm, live black worm, brine shrimp and a load of different dry foods.

So far they seem to love the brine shrimp but are little picky with anything else. I am just happy they have eaten already but it would be nice i they showed a little enthusiasm for something else.

Registered Member

Your foods are fine. I am surprised they are not hooked on the live blackworms. Be careful with the live worms, as most Discus who eat them get spoiled on them and ONLY want to eat them. Get them eating the BH and dryfoods, brine shrimp is a better in between (snack) food...Bill

Real Name
    Discus Hans

This is what we provide our customers.

http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/g...s,index,0.html

Maybe it helps you a little,

Good luck, it looks like you're not to bad ripped off,

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast