AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus Breeding Cones DIY

Default Discus Breeding Cones DIY

In a discussion about where to find discus breeding cones, someone mentioned a DIY idea. It sounded like a good idea, so I built one for under $10. A little Dremel tool work, silicone to secure the flower pots and a rim for a lip and it looks pretty good. It's not as beautiful as the glazed ones but I guest it will work. My discus are still a little young but I hope to give it a try this spring or summer. I'll try to add some pictures. Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Discus Breeding Cones DIY

That is very creative!!
    Barb

Has anybody else tried this?

Real Name
    Ricardo

that's pretty cool and i do not see anything wrong with it besides all the ridges. if it was a bit smoother it would be better IMO but then again i know nothing of breeding so take my advise with a grain of salt my friend.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Hi Guys heres one i made a while back just different size pots siliconed together cost about £1.50 each cheers Jim

Registered Member

Even though I don't have discus currently. I have played with them since 1986. I us to use what was called a rose pot. Basically a clay pot that was longer and came down to a cone shape. Some garden centers had them and places like A.C. Moore for decorating. They had them for silk flower stuff. I would think someone still makes them. Cost is like $2. I like the ones Barb made. They look nice.

Here's something I've used for 30 years. A simple Tupperware ( or whatever brand ) dried spaghetti holder :-) You can find these in Dollar stores, Target, Wal-Mart etc. It's foodsafe plastic and does not hold crud and algae in the pours like ceramics. I fill it with gravel ( whatever you like ) and sit it on the bottom. They are also very inexpensive :-)

Just a thought !!!

Very nice! Good ideas from all! THANKS!

Registered Member

Gonna try the food safe tuperware! thanks Dollar store here I come (or Walmart!)ok..so i'm jumping the gun, I don't have a pair yet lol

I used to use clay flower pots or pvc pipe siliconed to a piece of glass was another favorite,to each his own IMO
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

Registered Member

I have a pair in a community tank that always breed on a pleco cave. Yours is very cool an creative!

Real Name
    Rick

I was contenplating making some breeding surfaces out of slate tile? Is there any reason why the shape has to be that of a cone?

I was gonna order some cones but, I have a lot of tiles left from some projects. Guess I'm going to try a somple A frame design first.

Some are glazed though, anybody has an opinion about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by dalejordan View Post
    Here's something I've used for 30 years. A simple Tupperware ( or whatever brand ) dried spaghetti holder :-) You can find these in Dollar stores, Target, Wal-Mart etc. It's foodsafe plastic and does not hold crud and algae in the pours like ceramics. I fill it with gravel ( whatever you like ) and sit it on the bottom. They are also very inexpensive :-)

Just a thought !!!
    I saw a glimpse of them in some of your previos pics and was gonna ask what in the world it was, turns out it's experience discus keeping being manifested
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Real Name
    Rick

I would test the tiles first and make sure they don't alter the PH....Not sure about the glazing....slate is a natural stone and doesn't effect the PH. Years ago it was used in fish tanks for the bottom.

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

I am a relative newbie on discus breeding but it seems that they will select just about anything. I have had them spawn on the glass and have had wigglers there. They have also used driftwood, rocks, clay pots, sponge filter up tubes, and filter intake tubes. Right now I have a pair in a breeding tank with a spawn on a 3 inch piece of PVC that I cut one end at 40 degrees and one at 50 degrees, adds up to 90 and long enough to fit across my 29 gal. They spawned on the bottom side though. Will see if the wigglers can hang on. Barbs swirl cones sure look cool though and plan to get some of those. I love the innovation that people come up with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast