ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heaters??

Registered Member

Default Heaters??

Have a 125, placed an order for fx5 ( ebay $210 shipping included). Looking at heaters... Do I go with one big one or two smaller ones? Whats a good reliable brand? Wheres the best place to set the heater in the tank? near the outtake or intake? Thanks for all your feed back. Have to laugh thou, so many different feed backs and opinions. Its utilmately toss of a coin and hope with the best. I was seriously looking at the Rena xp4 but went with the fx5.Time will tell..

Default Re: Heaters??

Quote Originally Posted by swank View Post
    Have a 125, placed an order for fx5 ( ebay $210 shipping included). Looking at heaters... Do I go with one big one or two smaller ones? Whats a good reliable brand? Wheres the best place to set the heater in the tank? near the outtake or intake? Thanks for all your feed back. Have to laugh thou, so many different feed backs and opinions. Its utilmately toss of a coin and hope with the best. I was seriously looking at the Rena xp4 but went with the fx5.Time will tell..
    I assume your 125gal is a 6ft long tank. I suggest putting two 250watts heater in there. Put one on each end. For the best value, I say go with two Ebo Jager for about $60 and be done with the heating issue, next..

Registered Member

I agree with using 2 heaters (placed horizontally towards the bottom of the tank), but I'm not sure about the Jager heater. I got one and I'm not a fan. The first one I had was messed up (calibration button wouldn't come out) and the second/replacement is better, but the temp always creeps upward a degree or two after water changes.

I know they say on the packaging that you're not supposed to fully submerge them, but according to many user comments (as well as Eheim support rep comments) it's ok to. It just stinks reaching down after a WC to dial the heat down a degree or two.

Just my experience. Good luck!

I would go with two 250 watt Jagers in that tank if it was me, They keep temp's super steady and are really tough.

Kensfish.com has them for $25 and some change
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheinie View Post
    I agree with using 2 heaters (placed horizontally towards the bottom of the tank), but I'm not sure about the Jager heater. I got one and I'm not a fan. The first one I had was messed up (calibration button wouldn't come out) and the second/replacement is better, but the temp always creeps upward a degree or two after water changes.

I know they say on the packaging that you're not supposed to fully submerge them, but according to many user comments (as well as Eheim support rep comments) it's ok to. It just stinks reaching down after a WC to dial the heat down a degree or two.

Just my experience. Good luck!
    I have a question about this... Why place them horizontally and would you do this for all tanks? I have a 55gal tank with a 300W heater placed vertically and I have to turn it all the way up to get the tank to 82 degrees.
    Last edited by spyder329; 03-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyder329 View Post
    I have a question about this... Why place them horizontally and would you do this for all tanks? I have a 55gal tank with a 300W heater placed vertically and I have to turn it all the way up to get the tank to 82 degrees.
    I don't think it really matter how you place them if they are fully submergeable. Most people place their heater across toward the bottom so that they don't have to deal with unplugging the heater when doing water change.

If you can't get a 300watts heater to get a 55 gal to 82 without turning it up all the way, the problem is with the heater. This has nothing to do with placement.

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post

If you can't get a 300watts heater to get a 55 gal to 82 without turning it up all the way, the problem is with the heater. This has nothing to do with placement.
    Well, I can get it to 82 but I have to put the heater on 85 is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by spyder329 View Post
    Well, I can get it to 82 but I have to put the heater on 85 is that normal?
    What brand of heater? Might need calibration.

Registered Member

When I place it vertically in the corner, the heat is kinda "trapped" in that half of the tank since my spraybar is located at the top/center of my tank. With the heater placed horizontally under the spraybar, a wider area of heat rises and circulates evenly throughout the tank.

Leave you settings alone and place it horizontally. I bet you'll notice an increase in temperature within a day, spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    What brand of heater? Might need calibration.
    Its an Aquoen 300W and its brand new. I just got it this past weekend because my other heater after a few years went dead.

When I place it vertically in the corner, the heat is kinda "trapped" in that half of the tank since my spraybar is located at the top/center of my tank. With the heater placed horizontally under the spraybar, a wider area of heat rises and circulates evenly throughout the tank.

Leave you settings alone and place it horizontally. I bet you'll notice an increase in temperature within a day, spyder.

Yeah thats where i have it vertically in the corner. I will move it tonight and let you know how it goes..

Thank you for all the advice.

Registered Member

By the way, the first time I tried moving it horizontally, the water shot to 98 degrees and all my fish and plants died.

kidding...

Ok, I just moved my heater horizontally in the middle of the tank and all the way to the bottom. If nothing else at least I will not have to turn it off when I do my water changes.

Hopefully I will not loose all my fish from the temp shooting to 98 degrees like Greenheinie did.. lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

By the way, the first time I tried moving it horizontally, the water shot to 98 degrees and all my fish and plants died.

kidding...
    Wow
    Marc

Real Name
    Chris

I would use 2 heaters, either 250w or 300w depending on the difference between the room temp and the tank temp. I have used the plain old submersible Visa-Therm heaters for years. I used to love them but lately they haven't been as good IMO.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast