ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquaclear 70 filter for $19.99

Registered Member

Default Re: Aquaclear 70 filter for $19.99

Quote Originally Posted by diamond_discus View Post
    Not sure if it's good .. But I just placed an order for my two 40gal tanks .. This deal is too good to pass up. Thanks VLAM to post this info. I did get an email big BigAls ... but I didn't check that email account too often, so I didn't know until I see this thread.
    My main concern is that it advertises for 50-70 gals. Is there such thing as too much filtration? Waiting for an expert opinion before I hit the purchase button

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cheetos View Post
    My main concern is that it advertises for 50-70 gals. Is there such thing as too much filtration? Waiting for an expert opinion before I hit the purchase button
    The max output for the Aquaclear 70 is 300 gallon per hour. It's rated for 40g to 70g
    http://www.marinedepot.com/filters_h..._power-ap.html

I learned from other experts before that we need flow rate 10x of your tank size. So, the Aquaclear 70 is not even enough for a 40g tank.

I am currently use an Emperor 280 for my 40g tank. That filter has a 280G flow rate and it's working very well for me. I was looking to buy more Emperor 280 until I saw this deal. I like the media option and the sales price, of course.

BTW, the more filtration, the better .. If indeed you have a 70g tank, I don't think this filter is powerful enough.
    Last edited by diamond_discus; 02-28-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Registered Member

Oh, ok. Amazon advertises 50-70g, I wonder why. I was patient enough to wait for a good deal on a good filter, this would be a good replacement.

Thanks for all the info diamond!

Registered Member

Do you think this would be good for my 40gal tank? I have a cheap petco brand filter that's breaking apart on me. It rattles pretty loud every so often and I use zip ties to hold the tubes together
    aquaclear are very good HOB filters. i would get 2 of them for your 40g. always better to have more filtration than too less. with this price you cant go wrong. order up cuz you might regret not getting more when the deal ends.

I have one of these on a 30 gallon tank. Works perfectly. I do use a foam pre-filter. I picked up some 2 1/4" square air conditioner weather seal at home depot that works great for this purpose. For $3 it will make a lot of pre-filters.

I use the AC70 on my 30 and 40 gals tank and it's plenty of filtration. I would not use the AC70 on tank bigger than the 55gal because from my experience, it would not fit in tank such as a standard 75gal. The plastic frame of these larger tank will not allow the ac70 to hand securely.

Registered Member

This is what I'm currently using except mine is an older model: http://www.petco.com/product/106992/...FishFC_Filters

Quote Originally Posted by nikond70s View Post
    aquaclear are very good HOB filters. i would get 2 of them for your 40g. always better to have more filtration than too less. with this price you cant go wrong. order up cuz you might regret not getting more when the deal ends.
    I wish I've known before I made the purchase already. I could of used the same shipping fee. ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by gwrace View Post
    I have one of these on a 30 gallon tank. Works perfectly. I do use a foam pre-filter. I picked up some 2 1/4" square air conditioner weather seal at home depot that works great for this purpose. For $3 it will make a lot of pre-filters.
    A foam pre-filter is a piece of foam that you stick at the end of the sucking tube right? I think I read about that somewhere in the forum. I'll keep that in mind though.

I didn't mean to hijacking this thread but thanks for the help everyone.

Man this is a very tempting deal I currently have an Emperor 400 on a 29 gal quarantine tank but the bio wheels are no longer moving and is very noisey....would one be enough or should I also go with two if I do decide to get some?

Quote Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
    Man this is a very tempting deal I currently have an Emperor 400 on a 29 gal quarantine tank but the bio wheels are no longer moving and is very noisey....would one be enough or should I also go with two if I do decide to get some?
    Wow, a 400 for a 29G tank ? I am using a 280 for my 40G and it seems to be plenty enough. I do agree that the Emperor filter are a bit noisy .. That's why I plan to use those in my garage fish room only and use this Aquaclear 70 for tanks inside the house. I ordered only two last night ... and I regret already .. I should have ordered more ..

Damn I just noticed that they are already out of stock

Too bad.. That deal was awesome. I bought 4 and my friend bought 3... On a larger tank I would use 2 70's.. I have used 2 70's plus 3 sponges on my 90 gl. Does a great job plus more options for baceteria to colonize on...

In addition to my 75 and 30 gallon tanks I'm going to be adding a second 75 gallon to my collection. I'll be using two of these AC-70 power filters plus a couple of sponge filters.

On my other 75 gallon I have an AC 110 and a Eheim Canister running. On my 30 gallon I have a single AC-70 running. Water is always crystal clear. They are great versatile filters.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt8 View Post
    Too bad.. That deal was awesome. I bought 4 and my friend bought 3... On a larger tank I would use 2 70's.. I have used 2 70's plus 3 sponges on my 90 gl. Does a great job plus more options for baceteria to colonize on...
    Yeah I always seem to miss the good deals! Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
    Damn I just noticed that they are already out of stock
    Just check that site .. they removed the "out of stock" message ... Hurry

Quote Originally Posted by diamond_discus View Post
    Just check that site .. they removed the "out of stock" message ... Hurry
    Thanks for the heads up, ordered two.
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast