AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What makes Discus grow the biggest the fastest?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: What makes Discus grow the biggest the fastest?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    One other thing that will help is spreading the feeding times as much as you reasonably can. Fish that are feed at 8am, 3pm and 10pm will grow faster than those feed at 9am, 3pm and 9pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    Ditto....spreading the feeding out allows for maximum retention time within the gut. Some keepers are intent on feeding 10+ times per day. It doesnt work like that. An animal can only absorb so much in a day. By cramming them full of food like that 24/7 it becomes a factory line....constantly moving with little time for absorption. What people dont realize is that it takes time for the body to break down certain amino acids and fats so that they can use them properly. Feed them too often and you arent allowing your fish to absorb/break down certain nutrients in the food....which will result in a lack of certain amino acids and/or fats. Sure they may grow quicker initially, but there will be a retardation of growth after a while due to the lack of certain nutrients not being absorbed/broken down while in the gut.

This can also explain why discus tend to slow down in their rapid growth once they hit the 3-3.5" mark...their body changes and their requirements for amino acids and/or fats (among other things) arent being met in sufficient quantities. When young their bodies may require tons of lysine, but minimal methionine (for example)....they grow quick because the food you feed provides what they need. But once they hit a certain age, their need for the lysine lessens and maybe the need for methionine increases. Well, keep feeding the same food and you'll end up with a bunch of incomplete amino acid chains that are useless along with a lot of wasted lysine (resulting in slower growth). Once you notice a slow down in the growth of your fish, try changing their diet a bit....use different ingredients in your BH mix, or try feeding them more of certain dry feeds. Experiment and see what works best. When you figure it out let me know, lol.

-Ryan
    An old thread which l found very interesting, especially these points listed. I would be interested to hear more about this.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Filip

Very informative thread Joe . Thanks for finding it and reposting it.

Wow... Yes, definitely good find to bring back. We all know water change water change water change but I like learning these things too.
    -Elliot

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Wish I could tell you more on the subject, but Ryan already greatly surprised my knowledge on the specifics of why it works.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Wish I could tell you more on the subject, but Ryan already greatly surprised my knowledge on the specifics of why it works.
    Thanks Keith. It makes lots of good sense....might have to rethink my logic on feeding.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

In this order...

1. Clean water
    2. High protein food fed at least three times a day
    3. Good genetics
    4. Appropriate tank size for growout

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

One other thing that will help is spreading the feeding times as much as you reasonably can. Fish that are feed at 8am, 3pm and 10pm will grow faster than those feed at 9am, 3pm and 9pm.

Well this also reduces over night fasting time...which also aids growth...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123