ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning stages contest 3..Hobbyist challenge!

Exclamation Planning stages contest 3..Hobbyist challenge!

Hi all,
    I'm beginning to plan out our next contest... as you all should know..We are currently running contest number two... ( closing date to be announced another thread and another time)

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/fo...play.php?f=165

.and though not over yet...theres been some killer fish raised..

Last year we had almost 50 interested members.... Contestants were chosen from that pool and it was a hard decision... I'm thinking of doing things slightly different this next year..provided I Do this contest again at all... Its alot of work to put together these things......

but I'd like to ask you all how many would seriously be interested in participating if I did do another contest... You'll need the tank space and commitment to raise a group of fish to adulthood.. You'll also need to be able to receive the fish in the USA ( Canadians are welcome...but have to pick up at the USA side by fedex)..Participants would be responsible for the shipping.. You need to be able to post many updates, photos and videos. I also can't guarantee at this point that the fish would be free as they have been the last 2 years...But I will work what ever deals I can...I have already started talking with our various sponsors and will do so more as the time approaches.

Again , this is all in the realm of hypothetical...Just kicking around ideas and want to gauge the interest. Please don't Pm your entry application to me... just sound off here.

Thanks everyone,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Planning stages contest 3..Hobbyist challenge!

It would be my dream to participate in the next contest. But, I would like to know when it would start/ when people would be receiving the fish.
    I'm moving beginning of summer and planing a killer setup in the new place but it will take awhile before i have this up and running as my girl is gna make me redo the bathrooms first
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Al,
    I am definitely interested in the new contest. What is the minimum tank size requirement ? Does it has to been planted tank ? barebottom ? I have two 55 gallon BB tanks available. My tank setup is not as nice as others .. but they are just simple and clean tank, nothing fancy though. Posting updates and pictures would not be a problem .. but for videos, I need to figure out how to do so.
    -Larry
    Last edited by diamond_discus; 03-05-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Registered Member

I wish I could throw my hat into the ring, but im afraid I have no room to setup a tank or two to do it right...let alone time. Maybe next year.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Hi Dominik,
    Contest 3 would start as soon as I 1)find fish 2)find funding 3) find Time.. seriously... its going to take me a bit of time to put it together.. so I can't give a date yet.

Larry,

You obviously have not seen my hatchery here.. Fancy is nice but Discus only the notice the clean water, good husbandry and good food! Tank size, planted or not..its all up the contestant..

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I have been waiting patiently for this years contest. I AM DEFINATELY INTERESTED!

Registered Member

I would be very interested in this opportunity.

I am interested as well!
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

Registered Member

I am interested! I have a planted tank all ready to go and if the contest is starting soon, I will just hold off purchasing any discus for this tank...

Real Name
    Ricardo

depending on the time-frame i would be interested. We are in the process of acquiring a house and would have a 55, 60 bowfront, and a couple of 40's available.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Larry,

You obviously have not seen my hatchery here.. Fancy is nice but Discus only the notice the clean water, good husbandry and good food! Tank size, planted or not..its all up the contestant..

-al
    Okay, good to know .. I brought a few 1" blue discus from a local LFS .. and grew them to 6"+ (a couple even closer to 7"). I feed them all kinds of food .. but for this contest (if I can get in), I plan to feed primarily my beefheart mix and the Freeze Dried Black Worm, and see how they would turn out, especially with the FDBW. Also, no colorbits or any other food that has color enhancement .. just to see how the fish would grow out with natural color. My two tanks will be ready. I can even make room for a 90 gallon if I need to.

Al, thanks for the time you put in for this website. Much appreciated.

-Larry

Hey Al,

I would be interested in participating. I did enter last year, and will also enter again this year if a 3rd contest is planned.

Count me in!

Heya Al!

I'm sure you'll have plenty of new contestant for round three, but I'd do it again in a heart beat!

For those of you that have been following this year's contest, you can see how much fun it is! Plus, who wouldn't love some free discus! LOL!

Best wishes to you all!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would definitely be interested. Our local Aquarium association is holding our bi-annual auction this coming Sunday and I will be empting out a couple of 55's with fish I am carrying to sell so the tank space wouldn't be a issue. Like Diamond_Discus I would find it interesting to see the affect of Mal's FDBW as the primary food. It is now my staple with my Discus. I still mix in some Beefheart and FBW and pellets are fed in auto feeders while I am at work but FDBW are now the staple. Eddie grinds up the FDBW in a coffee grinder and feeds his new fry. Might even try putting that in the auto feeders. I love taking pictures and videos of my fish. Have already posted quite a few here, you tube and my local associations forum so no issue there.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast