AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L134 and L333 Pleco special

Default L134 and L333 Pleco special

I am running a special from now to April 15th for L134 and L333 where you pre-order 6 and make a $50 deposit to reserve your order at the special prices. When weather permits safe mailing I will send 6 and add one more for free. The postage is paid by the buyer. We will coordinate a mutually agreeable shipping time based on the weather.
    The L134 are 6/$240 plus one free. They are assorted sizes from 1-1/2 to 2 inches
    The L333 are 6/$150 plus one free. They are assorted sizes from 1-1/2 to almost 2 inches.
    Be sure to first send me a pm then we will exchange all our contact information and work out all details by e-mails., not pm's.
    All the fish are 8 to 10 months old. Valid for only the lower 48 states.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

Default Re: L134 and L333 Pleco special

Sounds like a great deal. I am definitely interested in the L134. Let me know how you would like to proceed as far as setting up the deposit. My email is richardweglinski@yahoo.com if you wish to contact me that way.

Thanks

Some new photos of the Plecos for sale.
    Here are 2 photos of the L333's.

These are 3 photos of the L134 aka Leopard Frog Plecos.
    The one one the right has some of the fine river sand sprinkled on him; it is not Ich.

Larry Waybright

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

AWESOME fish ... will have to think about this ... Nice job.

Hi Jeffery,

Thanks a lot. In these photos the L134 are frightened out of their wits in the small photography tank so they lost most of their warm yellow orange glow.
    I will have to post the photos which I edited to make them look like they normally do.
    The black and white L333 colors didn't change as much and I didn't try editing any to restore their normal color but these are of the yellow and dark brown color form. Their parents are that color and when they are not frightened the young ones have a yellow cream cast with dark brown markings. There exists some populations of L333 which are black and white but those aren't the type I raise. The majority of the Brazilian species of Hypancistrus share some variation of black and white, the most famous example of that are the really expensive Zebra plecos. Even for us hard core Discus types, fish which sell sometimes for more than $200 each is getting way out there.
    I have been able to raise a few Queen Arabesque Plecos, L260. They have proven difficult to breed for me but I have 20 1 over 1-1/2 inches which I was able to get from a couple of spawns. They only give me about 10 fry per spawn and they grow so incredibly slowly that they really try my patience. It took them almost one year to reach that size.
    OTOH, no species of small plecos I have bred grow as quickly as L134. They attain 1-1/2 in a little less than 6 months. All of the L134 I have for sale are 8 to 10 months old. They only breed for me from about March 1 to Sept 1 give or take 2 weeks. I just had my first brood come out of their cave around Feb 18th. They mark the beginning of my 3rd spawning season with them but I am one female short than in the past so I don't expect to raise as many this year. I lost her because I didn't notice she was hiding in a crevice in a piece of wood I from the breeding group's tank. It was just one of those things and I only discovered she was missing when a dried L134 fell out of that piece of wood. They usually produce about 25 fry per spawn. My largest breeder male L134 is only about 3-5/8 total length and I have had them for 5 years. I think that is a nice size for one of the prettiest of all the small pleco species.
    These are all from very warm river systems and need to be kept at 84 to 86* which is the same as I keep my Discus at. That is also why I am being careful not to ship[ them until I am fairly sure they won't get chilled. I expect to begin shipping out fish beginning April 15th when this special is over. It should be warm enough by then I won't have to worry much about them arriving well. Because they like the same warm water and mainly meaty diet they are very good catfish to keep with Discus. In fact L134 are from the Rio Tapajos and L333 are from the lower Rio Xingu; both systems are noted for their Discus. I feed the catfish I breed mostly earth worm sticks and frozen blood worms. It was from these experiences that learned that Discus also like earth worm sticks. The Discus I have now are all wild and there has never been a time since I bought them that they didn't also go after the sticks. I find it a very happy coincidence that I can use the same foods on both my favorite groups of fish.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 03-16-2010 at 07:27 AM.
    Larry Waybright

Wonderful Plecos Larry!!
    i have L260 male and fem for 3 years ..and they never spawned do u mind to share tips to get them in the mood
    Tnx a lot
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Registered Member

i'm interested in the l134 plecos! how much would the shipping be to 68505? lincoln nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by tdo View Post
    i'm interested in the l134 plecos! how much would the shipping be to 68505? lincoln nebraska.
    The postage runs about $35 to most everywhere.
    Larry Waybright

Real Name
    Sean

Hi Larry would you mind to post some recent photos of the L134 im super psyched to get my hands on some.

Congratulations Larry, those are some really nice fish you have there and a great breeding programme going. Whish I could get my hand on some of them !

I have my first spawns of F2 L134's!! This is kind of a big deal. I have been told 2 year old fish could breed but now i have about 4 new broods that prove it. These yonger females are only yielding about 15 fry per brood but their brood sizes will increase with age. My original wild L134 breeders must be at least 6 years old.
    I have about 3 dozen 2 year olds I retained for brood stock. Now I have to set some up in proper breeding tanks. My young females actually bred with my older wild males.
    I won't have any young from this season available until about 4-1/2 months from now.
    I currently have only enough of my larger L134 to fill maybe 5 more orders under the terms of my spring special.

Breeding L260 is not easy. I had 4 spawns in the winter of '08/'09. Then I moved them to a new breeding tank in what I thought was in time to catch their apparent preference to breed in the late fall into winter but they did not spawn for me this winter.
    Other than taking good care of them and keeping them in soft water the key to breeding any of the smaller fancy plecos is extreme patience. The oldest fry are now 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 inches but I am still short about 20 fish of my goal for future breeders. One of my customers told me he bought some fry hardly an inch long for $65 each. 1.That is too small for any breeder to be selling young plecos. The risks of loosing some that small are high unless you have previous experience raising Zebra Plecos or other L260 fry. 2. Their prices will only be going up, kind of following the path the Zebra Plecos have taken.
    My advice is to pursue other breeding projects and hope your L260 spawn. Meanwhile breed some more predictable fish to help keep your interest up.

My photos aren't even a month old. I tried to fetch some of L134 which I photoshopped to render them in their normal colors of more yellow orange and brown but photobucket was doing "maintenance" so I'll try again tomorrow but 3 weeks is not enough time to make a difference so I don't know what is expected out of "newer photos". It was a PITA to catch them and set them up in a special photo tank to take the photos I did. I'm not doing it again with this group of fish. Here is a link where you can see the color correct L134 photos way down the thread. Best I can do now.
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/v...p?f=24&t=29321

My advice is if you want some of my older, larger plecos then better order before April 15th because if any are left after that the price will be the same for 6 fish but you won't get a 7th one free.
    There won't be any more until about 4-1/2 months from now and those will be barely meet my 1-1/2 inch minimum size.
    I raise my plecos to a larger size than most before I will sell them. This assures me of having satisfied customers.
    BTW, The links to the true colored fish are already given below in my signature. Copy and paste them into your browser.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 04-08-2010 at 02:15 AM.
    Larry Waybright

Tnx for info and sound advice
    Take care
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

L134 Normal color

L134 Fright colors

L333

L333

Sale ends after April 15th.
    Larry Waybright

The L134 are just beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    The L134 are just beautiful!
    My bias aside, I think L134 are the prettiest of the small Brazilian pleo spp only surpassed by H. zebra and maybe the even more expensive Hypancistrus sp L236 which are extremely rare.
    The L134 are the best best value among the smaller plecos, especially since Brazil imposed an export ban on all their Hypancistrus species. The ban greatly reduced our selection of small pretty plecos.

The L333 I raise are also now illegal to export from Brazil so for all of these plecos captive breeding is necessary if we are to retain them in the hobby.
    Larry Waybright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast