AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To reseal or not to reseal...that is the question

Registered Member

Default To reseal or not to reseal...that is the question

I have a 65 gallon that used to be my marine tank of yester-years...I am all grown up and have kids and moved away for mommy and daddy's place ...about 15 years now...time flys When the tank was shut down 15 years ago, I kepted it outside on my parents porch. I live in Toronto, so snow and summer months have come and gone. 15 years later I now have it in my garage. This tank has seen some extreme heat and cold weather. I just setup it up and had it as leveled as possible and filled it up with 65 gallons of water...right to the rim. Now some of the upper edge..since the trims deteriorated and broke from the move...I notice some chips on the edges. I assume it is not a big deal if I don't fill it all the way to the top...it is approx 1 cm from the top edge. Anyhow, I did fill it up and seems ok as no leaks are found...or that I can see. I was not thinking and was cleaning the tanks outside glas and not sure if I left a little puddle.....I dried it up and will check to see if there is a leak or not. In any case, let's say there is NO leak.

1) Should I reseal the whole thing due to the exposure to extreme heat and cold?

2) How long is an adequate time to leave it in the garage to assure it's integrity..ie not having the tank blow up on me when I fill it up with water in my living room... 1 week, 2 weeks or more?

3) Finally...I mentioned as it is sitting on some 2x4's with 2 flat pieces of plywood to keep it sturdy...it is slightly off level.....will this weaken the silicone/ tank?

4) Where in toronto or online can I buy the trim for my tank. I remember years ago most LFS sell them by the foot and you cut/silicone yourself as you need. I went today and my LFS says they come premade, but not in my size.

Thanks!

Registered Member

Default Re: To reseal or not to reseal...that is the question

I have resealed tanks before and I find it is just not worth the time, effort and peace of mind.. Many times you can purchase new tanks at a $1 per gallon or find a good deal on craiglist or local fish forum..By the time your purchase sealant and a new frame + plus shipping, you will be into for $20 to $30..Just my experience and .02 .......Please of mind is worth a little more to me..
    Jerry

Registered Member

I hear you jerbear....I did exactly what you did and guess what? Always need a spare tank. 4 tanks later and "hey wonder if I should reseal or use that 65 gallon in the garage?"
    AND THE MADNESS BEGINS AGAIN!

Registered Member

Just checked after a few hours...the tank is 100% leak proof. I am going to leave it there for as long as I can...I'll see if it's still ok.

i bought discus off a guy years ago and he threw in a 55 gallon tank.Well he said if you fill it more than 3/4 of the way up it leaks.So i resealed it and gave it to my buddy who lived in a 3rd floor apartment well needless to say we leak tested it and it was fine he filled it up with live rock it lasted about 24 hours and his nieghbors were pissed to say the least anyway I got the tank back resealed it again and tested it and it was fine so i guess the moral of this storie is if you reseal it do a good job and use extra silicone dont scimp
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

The key is to remove the old silicone completely. Use a light acetone to remove all traces of silicone from the glass. This way the new silicone will adhere without any leaks.

Registered Member

I just resealed my 90Gal so far ok..the secret is to really clean out as much of the old sealer as ya can..I took it all out of my 90 and resealed the whole thing...after getting rid of the sealer clean with some alcohol let dry and reseal

mench

Been there. If a a tank has been up and running and then been in storage for a long time, reseal. Trust me. It's not that hard to do and way easier than removing the fish, hauling it off the stand, re-sealing, and putting it back in place, and re introducing the fish. A good razor blade or two and silicone with funguside is all you need.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member underwaterforest's Avatar

Liz I assume you meant silicone without fungicide?
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

When you clean out all the old silicone, the glass is still connected but there is a fine crevice or void between the pieces. What's holding it together? Would it help or hurt to run a bead of "crazy glue" down between the glass before the final silicone sealer?

How about using "crazy glue"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you clean out all the old silicone, the glass is still connected but there is a fine crevice or void between the pieces. What's holding it together? Would it help or hurt to run a bead of "crazy glue" down between the glass before the final silicone sealer?

Silicone degrades overtime, even faster underwater, period. An old tank NEEDS to be re-sealed whether it sat dry or not.

Need to remove the old silicone(REALLY IMPORTANT). Prep the joint by wipping it with acetone or alcohol to remove oil and dirt. Then apply new silicone. Depending on the silicone and thickness of it you need to let it sit for 24-72hrs or more untouched and some types need to "cure" from days to weeks before being tested. All depends on the type, temp and humidity.
    Def the worst part of the job is to remove the old silicone.

As cheap as comercially available tanks are in the states the only obvious answer to whether re-seal a tank or not lies with large and custom tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWX View Post
    How about using "crazy glue"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO. Use silicone to properly seal it.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterforest View Post
    Liz I assume you meant silicone without fungicide?
    OMG, will you look at what I typed? Ofcourse I meant WITHOUT. I sure don't want to be responsible for some poor guy killing his fish. Very very sorry.....
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by KEWX View Post
    Crazy glue is non-toxic but will not work in this application. With Crazy Glue the pieces need to be perfectly matched without any gaps. NON FUNGICIDAL Silicone is the stuff to use. When I did the job I broke the tank down into 5 separate pieces When I put it back together I put the trim back on to keep it square and then clamps to hold everything in place. Then I let it sit for a week. (mostly because I didn't have a strong guy available until then to help me put it back). Still, it won't hurt to give it several days to cure.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 03-14-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo
    Mama Bear

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I'm usually a VERY resourceful guy and succeed at virtually ever home project. Having said that, I've tried to reseal a leaking 72 bow twice now and failed both times. I cleaned out the old silicone with an exacto knife and a single edged razor blade until my fingers were sore. I cleaned the glass with alcohol a half a dozen times making sure there was nothing left on the glass before I applied GE silicone 1. First time around I believe the tank leaked from the same place as it did originally on the bottom. Second time around it developed a leak on a side seam. I gave up temporarily and got a new tank, but I have to try once more and will probably tear the tank all the way down next time and use DAP aquarium safe silicone.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast