ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long have you been without power?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: How long have you been without power?

This all reminds me of what happened to me about 15 yrs. ago during a winter ice storm that took out the power for 2-3 days. I had a 29 gal tank with a breeding pair of discus and their fry, about 1-2 mo. old. When the power went off I put a battery powered air pump with airstone, no sponge filter then, into the tank. Covered the tank with a sleeping bag, blanket and even some of our winter coats! Left a small area open for air to get in of course. 'Well, when the power finally came on and I slowly uncovered the dark tank in the cold room, the tank wasn't too cold and all the fish survived! No illness came about later either. BTW, these were Wattley Turqs. I still have a pic of them on the wall over my discus tank.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Gold Member

http://www.aquabird.com.vn/forums/showthread.php?t=4098

The guy had a power failure for only 10 hours when he was away at work. Apparently, his backup power supply only lasted 4 hours.

So, I think that for any of us with a lot invested in discus should seriously invest in battery back up systems that will kick in automatically. Hopefully, this will hold out until you get home or until you get notified so that you can turn the generator on.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scuba guy View Post
    What is the longest period you have been without power?
    As long as it takes to curse and fire up the generator...

Florida. Hurricanes. Boy Scout. 'Nuff said...

Jeff

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    http://www.aquabird.com.vn/forums/showthread.php?t=4098

The guy had a power failure for only 10 hours when he was away at work. Apparently, his backup power supply only lasted 4 hours.

So, I think that for any of us with a lot invested in discus should seriously invest in battery back up systems that will kick in automatically. Hopefully, this will hold out until you get home or until you get notified so that you can turn the generator on.
    10 - 4 = 6 hours without power and lost that amount of Discus????

I can't read the post so I can't check this but think about this, we ship 3 x 3" Discus in about 1 liter of water, that's say 10 x 3" Discus in a gallon. Some shipments take 24 hours.

Those Discus didn't last for 6 hours?????

Help me what is wrong in this picture????

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

I use something like these for short term losses given my house is all electric. I can plug my aquarium power strip in and it will keep my tanks going for hours. As you can see, they can come in handy for a number of issues.

• 12V 200 cranking amp jump starter with cables and reverse polarity protection
    • Twin 12V power ports
    • 400W inverter with twin outlets
    • USB power port
    • Air compressor with 260 PSI gauge
    • Five LED work lights
    • Recharges battery through cigarette lighter
    • Protective rubberized housing
    • Use indoors or outdoors
    • Measures 10-1/2"L x 8-1/2"W x 11-3/4"H
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Discus are tough apparently. I have a generator - but it is winterized (i.e. no gas). I don't put gas in it until the summer and hurricane season. Being without power for one hour is no big deal apparently. During Hurricane Ike in Houston we were without power for 8 days. I didn't have a Discus tank then - but my angels were certainly tested. The generator kept the filters operating.

Registered Member

I just spent 4 days without power.. in the freezing Texas electric grid failure, had to abandon my discus on day 2..temp was down to 76 , tank was wrapped in blankets..the temp outside was 9 deg F.. and a pipe froze then burst, when I got back the power had been on for 24? hours.. (not sure) and all my 7 year old discus survived .. slowly raised the tank tank to 84 and did partial water changes am and pm, added a bunch of bottles of beneficial bacteria starter.. and they seem to be back to semi normal , they had cloudy eyes , were very dark etc when I first came home.. seem to be clearing and some are eating again!!!! I have no idea how cold their tank got , but it had to be below freezing in this house..

Real Name
    Brian

Nice job! Glad they survived as well as you!

Registered Member

luckily I had an aging barrel full that i had left.. because I did not have running water either!!!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    I use something like these for short term losses given my house is all electric. I can plug my aquarium power strip in and it will keep my tanks going for hours. As you can see, they can come in handy for a number of issues.

• 12V 200 cranking amp jump starter with cables and reverse polarity protection
    • Twin 12V power ports
    • 400W inverter with twin outlets
    • USB power port
    • Air compressor with 260 PSI gauge
    • Five LED work lights
    • Recharges battery through cigarette lighter
    • Protective rubberized housing
    • Use indoors or outdoors
    • Measures 10-1/2"L x 8-1/2"W x 11-3/4"H
    There are quite a few power inverters on amazon that are relatively cheap that should keep the minimum basics running for quite some time. I live in Cali so it's not much of an issue, but in a cold climate I definitely would have one or two charged on standby.

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve lost power many times now. First time was Sandy. Out for a week.bought a generator on day 2 and still have it. Was out this past summer again for a week. Generator kept everything running. For lights a streamer of white led Christmas lights..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12