Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BEWARE!! Marineland Stealth Pro Heater

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Default BEWARE!! Marineland Stealth Pro Heater

Marc

Default Re: BEWARE!! Marineland Stealth Pro Heater

Wow, thats crazy! Sticking on, not heating, cracked but thats the first I've seen about a heater exploding and breaking the glass on a tank. Thats insane!

Thanks for sharing!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Wow... this has been my favorite heater... especially the redesigned one, since you can not tell when the thing is actually on.

first Toyota... now Marineland... man... can't trust ANYTHING anymore!

-Rich

Registered Member

I use ugf uplift tubes with vented caps on it to house my heaters in, back in 1987 I had a heater, unsure of make blow my 50g corner tanks back corner part out. Lost my RTS but saved the cichlids I remember.

Registered Member underwaterforest's Avatar

Yep I just had that happen with me yesterday with a brand new one, luckily not the tank breaking part though. I will ALWAYS unplug all my heaters when I change water, don't rely on the heater gimmicks since a tank loss can be pretty costly.
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

I bought 15 of these 4 mos ago and have already had 6 go bad and sent them all back to drs f&s three of wich exploded!!!!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    I bought 15 of these 4 mos ago and have already had 6 go bad and sent them all back to drs f&s three of wich exploded!!!!!!
    I just put 1 in my 55g. Time to yank it out of there and order some Jagers from Ken's.
    Marc

So far the new models (pro) variety have been working fine for me other than the shut off function not working, I haven't had any stuck on/off like the previous model. I hope they fix this problem someday since I own 10 of them. I too have replaced about 6 of them in the last 6 months. My local LFS just swaps me for another one, no hassles.
    Last edited by underwaterforest; 03-10-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

i have got three of the original model without the indicator light they are all at least 5 yrs old and have never missed a beat. m lands intention on the redesign was well intended, the old design had an aluminum core and were weak and inefficient. not to mention you couldnt tell if it was on. so on the redesign they tried to cheaply mimic the 1,000 watt titanium emersion heaters that run on their commercial mars units. Its got an epoxy fill that really retains heat . i run one on my show tank at home - this heater will literally continue to put out heat for over an hour after being completly cooled under the tap and left to sit in the sink unplugged,and iam not talking a little warm either were talking water sizzling hott!!!! I tink the epoxy expands too much for the plastic housing on the hobby heaters and this is causing them to explode!!!

Registered Member

Well, I will stay away... course, now I need to figure out which heater I will buy for my 125 gallon...

I've been using Marineland for years with no problems. Its a heater, if its ON and then you take it out of water its going to get super hot! Its simple.
    Its designed to dissipate heat under water not when airborne. This applies to any heater.
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by rich_one View Post
    Well, I will stay away... course, now I need to figure out which heater I will buy for my 125 gallon...
    http://www.kensfish.com/jagerheaters.html just ordered 2. Seems to be a favorite here.
    Marc

If you read through this entire 8 or or so pages of posts you will see that Marineland stood behind their product. They agreed to pay for floor damage and replace broken tank and lost live stock. Seems to be an unusual occurrence these days. They will continue to get my business. I have 6 of the Visi-Therm heaters running and none have given me any problems. The problems also appeared to be associated with only the Pro Stealth model line.

I agree with you gwrace. I know it is counter intuitive but I rather have mostly good product with excellent customer service rather than an excellent product with so so customer service. Good customer service is something that seems to be forgotten lately for some strange reason.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbfzurowski View Post
    I've been using Marineland for years with no problems. Its a heater, if its ON and then you take it out of water its going to get super hot! Its simple.
    Its designed to dissipate heat under water not when airborne. This applies to any heater.
    while you are correct, it should be noted that its a heater that claims to auto-shut off when exposed to air, and then turn back on when submersed back in water... so, if it is making that claim, it should operate that way. just saying.

-Rich

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast