AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Callamanus Worms

Registered Member

Default Callamanus Worms

Hi

First time posting on this forum as I do not keep Discus (although love to)

I have been told that discus enthusiasts are the best to talk to regarding this
    nasty little problem.

Back ground:

3 tanks: 300ltr/130/ltr/30ltr P.H 6.5, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20-30ppm

All tanks heavely planted (live) Amazon set up.

Fish: corys/plecos/glass catfish/congo tetras and Keyhole/sevrum/geophagus/acara/Thomasi cichlids.

Samller tanks have Barbs and tetras.

My problem is that a couple of the fish (in the big tank) have very fine hair like red worms hanging out of the anus and some flicking going on in the tank. After extensive reading on the net it seems I have an outbreak of Callamanus worms.

I have spent the whole weekend finding a suitable solution and it seeems the best avaiable option (UK) is Fenbendazole.

Does anybody have experiance with this product and how do I go about administering this.

I can get in powder form from my vet. But he has no or little experiance with tropical fish.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Callamanus Worms

Hi,
    If you get the fenbendazole... DO NOT add it to the tank water..its got to be added to food. IF added to the water directly, it can kill fish.

To figure out the appropriate dose.....You'll need to know the concentration of the product you'll be getting.
    hth,
    -al

ps... The guys over at Bidka may be able to help you locate a good dewormer...
    http://www.bidka.org/
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Callamanus Worms

Hi,

The usual form in the UK is in panacur puppy worming granules which is usually 22%. I mix 1 gram of the powder into 100 grams of food (I use beefheart mix, but other foods work too) and then feed this twice a day. With camallanus worms they can be difficult to shift, worth having epsom salts on hand (magnesium sulphate) in case fish bloat. You will need to treat for three or four days, then leave for five days then treat for three or four days again, then repeat the whole process at least once more.

I have also had success using flubendazole, which is readily available in the UK and is much easier to administer, the upside is that it will deal with flukes too. Look for Kusuri Fluke M and dose as per the packaging, you will need an extended treatent period (20 to 30 days) though, and you could aslo put some in food, I will look up the amount to use as I can't remmber just now....
    Paul

Comfortably numb.