AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipping Fish 101... A primer

Exclamation Shipping Fish 101... A primer

Hi all,
    I've written this article in a lesser form before but I decided to re-do...and post it here as I have gotten alot of questions about how to ship Fish. I am a hobbyists breeder and I have shipped often in the past... I am not a commercial shipper of fish and there are other ways to do this... what I have done here is meant as a starting point for NON-commercial to beginning commercial shippers...

Shipping Fish 101.....
    by Al Sabetta
    There comes a time in hobbyist's life when they may feel the need or desire to ship their home bred fish to far away locations . Perhaps they have taken the next step and started to buy and sell as business venture. These hobbyists have usually received countless shipments themselves, and yet the thought of bagging up and shipping out their fish can be intimidating at the least. I've been asked by hobbyists how to go about this, so I decided to put it into an article. The experiences and suggestions in this article are based strictly on my personal experiences. They are not meant to be a definitive guide...use them at your own risk.

Before you get started, you'll need basic supplies:

1. Bags...an appropriate size bag is needed. Don't skimp on the quality...or thickness....buy the thickest you can find. Be sure they are aquarium grade. Breather bags can be used for small fish with fins that are not too pointy. For fish like discus and angels, 3 and 4 mil bags are best, and can be doubled or tripled for very large fish. It's also a good idea to put a layer of newsprint between two layers of bags. This helps keep the heat in, and helps guard against punctures. Some sellers are very skilled and have a method down where they can ship multiple fish per bag. I prefer to place one fish per bag and I suggest novices start that way as well. I like to size the bag to be about 1-2 inches bigger than the fish. Bags should be twisted and sealed shut after the addition of oxygen. You can use elastic bands, special banding machines or even tape. The importance of a tight twisting and tying can't be downplayed here...you need to keep the oxygen in and the water in if the box is overturned.
    2. Oxygen...depending on the size of the fish you are shipping you may need oxygen. That's not like what many local fish shops do, where they blow into the bag or try to catch a bagful of air from ambient air around them. It means using “oxygen” from a tank. This is the intimidating part for many. The most economical way to do this is to search the classifieds for an oxygen tank used in welding. These come in many sizes...choose what's right for you. Because it's a compressed gas, they last awhile unless you are shipping a lot. I lease the tank from a welding supply house for about $80 a year. Refills are about $10 out here in CT. You can actually buy them used or new. You'll then need a regulator to control the flow of oxygen. I bought mine for $50-65 from the welding supply house and they threw in a dispensing hose. Some may have access to medicinal oxygen. If so, that can be used too.
    3. Boxes...You'll need a styrofoam insulated shipping box and cardboard outer box. You probably have received many over the years. Stock pile a bunch if you think you ever may ship. You can also buy these online through many suppliers. Another option is to make one yourself. You can buy styrofoam at stores like Home Depot and Lowes and cut it to fit a cardboard box. Size here does matter! Make the box fit the number of bags you will ship. Too much air space and too much wiggle room is not good, as the bags can fall over and puncture easier. They also hold heat better when packed closer together. Another reason to fit the box to the shipment is many shipping companies will ship based on dimensions as well as weight...bigger boxes may cost more.
    4. Water.. You need water of course, but how much? Most hobbyists will put too much water in the bag, which can harm the fish and cost you a fortune to ship. I say it will harm the fish because what they need is NOT a ton of airless water. They need well oxygenated water that will keep them alive in transit.. My general rule is 1/3 water (provided that the 1/3 water also covers the fish by about an inch or so) and 2/3 shipping oxygen. You could use tank water, but I prefer to use fresh aged and aerated water because there is no bacteria or organics in it. Many people will also use a chemical aid, like Bag Buddies. Use these at your own risk. Many feel they are beneficial, and many do not use them. Shipping aids can also be tranquilizers, which I don't use here, and fall outside the realm of the beginner shipper's needs.
    5. The net...Do yourself a favor and pitch the abrasive nylon nets. Many online stores sell very soft professional nets that allow you to handle the fish gently. This is important, as you do not want to overly damage the slime coat and fins of the fish. Damaged areas will be more prone to bacterial infections and shipping burns.
    6. The fish... A fish excretes ammonia into the water. The more food it has eaten, the more waste it will generate in the bag, which can really foul the water while the fish is in transit. A general rule is to fast the fish at least a day (2 days is even better) before shipping. They'll travel better on an empty stomach and the water will stay cleaner.
    7. Heat packs...Depending on the fish species and the time of year, heat packs may be needed. These are available in 12, 24 and 36 hours and work off a reaction with oxygen. Many shippers will put a small hole in their styrofoam box and cardboard, and place the heat pack inside the styrofoam over the hole to let air get in. Many others do not . In either case, the heat packs are taped by their edges to the inside sides and/or top of the box. Although heat rises, do not put them on the box bottoms, as water may leak and soak them.
    8. Bag 'em.. box 'em...ship 'em....How to ship. Depending on where you are and how much shipping you plan on doing, you have several options. A frequent shipper may use the airport, but security these days often requires that you pre-register and get approved as a known shipper. The casual shipper can use the US Post Office, Fedex, UPS and DHL, which are all viable options. Choose what works best for you and your destination. I've used them all at one time or another. Most of the time, I find Fedex to be reliable, yet expensive. Each of these shippers may have special requirements, so check with them. Even among Fedex users there have been many cases reported where Fedex let them ship with no issues, and others where the Customer Service front desk adamantly said they did not allow live fish to be shipped. When I first started, I registered with Fedex and they had me send them a box like I would use and put empty bags of water in it. They then did a drop test. I passed and became a registered shipper, though I have never been asked if I am by a Fedex employee when I dropped off fish. Many shippers I know have never done this and just ship.
    9. Destinations...Check ahead of time to be sure the delivery is available in the time frame you want and keep it domestic. International is possible but there's a lot involved...not something I would recommend to a novice.
    10. Payment...Shipping is expensive. Be sure that you fully understand the cost and your customer is good with it. Shipping can cost more than the fish! I personally like to ship to destinations like FEDEX, and have them hold for pickup. I then have the customer pay the shipping company direct to the shipping agent. Don't try to make money off the shipping. It's not worth it and since it's soexpensive, people will look at this number and check. There are also advantages to the “hold for pickup” method, as it can be cheaper, and there's less handling by delivery personnel, resulting in less exposure to the elements.

Okay, so you've got the basics...now its time to ship. Here's my example scenario for a domestic shipment in the USA:

Joe Smith buys 6 each of 2.5-3 “ fish from me. He pays me in advance for the fish. We set a date for delivery. He wants to receive the fish on his day off, which is Wednesday. On Monday, I make sure I have all my supplies, and I fast the fish. No food at all and lots of clean water. I check over the fish to be sure they all look good and healthy. On Tuesday, I give them no food and in the afternoon I make up the bags. I like using 3 mil bags, tripled, with a sheet of newspaper between. I could probably get away with 2 bags, but these happen to be high fin Discus and I don't want a leaky bag. I open my heat packs and add them to the styrofoam box's sides. It's winter, so I use a couple of packs and I like to punch one small hole of about 1/2” behind the pack. I then line the box with a garbage bag because these days wet boxes may get pulled by shippers as a possible threat...and you are responsible if your cargo damages others. A box liner (the garbage bag) prevents this. Next, I get my bags. I have chosen 4“ bags for these 2.5-3” fish. I fill the bag to about 1-2” inches over the back of the fish with water, and then dispense oxygen into the bag, trying for that 1/3 water to 2/3 oxygen ratio. Then, I tightly twist the bag shut and fold it over and fasten it tightly with an elastic (think back to all those bags of fish you have received). I place the six bags into the garbage bag, tie that bag, and then take up any space between the bag and the box with crumpled newsprint or bubble wrap. Tape the stryofoam box shut, and tape the cardboard box shut. Drop the box off at the shipping business and fill out the appropriate shipping ticket. Ship for next day service After I get home, I contact the customer and give them tracking information. From that point on, it's out of my hands.

As I wrote earlier, this information is what I do and based on my experiences. I am not advising anyone to follow it and anything here should be taken with a grain of salt and used at your own risk.

Copyright 2010
    Al Sabetta
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-14-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Shipping Fish 101... A primer

Great thread Al,Very Insightful.I will keep this thread in mind when and if I ever ship!Thanks !!!
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

This post is definetly worth a donation to Simply

Roberto.

Some very useful material here, Al. I haven't shipped yet but I am bound to exhaust the local market at some point. My biggest concern is boxes; we may have received many over the years, but many of us do not have the storage to keep them. When the need arises, then it's a mad scramble for boxes. I can get them from my lfs but I have to stockpile in advance. I end up with a motly assortment of sizes: some large, shallow and long, some tall and thin. Seldom do I ever seem to come across the size I would like, and they never come with a cardboard box. This is fine when the customer picks up, but hardly appropriate for shipping. Buying styro-lined cardboard boxes on-line is expensive. If I remember correctly, one box cost something like $10. Buying the styro and cutting it to fit a box isn't saving much when one buys the cardboard box first. This is no time to dredge a box out of the local dumpster. When selling $15 home-grown fry, the box, heat packs and oxygen can really amount to a large proportion of the total sale. I know one former sponsor charged $10 for the box but the practice seems distasteful to me. Is the solution two prices - one for pick-up, one for shipping?

Thanks David and Roberto

Hi Martha,
    Tough call.. I think alot has to do with how many fish you plan on selling as a minimum to ship...personally...I don't ship less than 6 3" fish at a time for instance.....its not worth it financially...Shipping is a hassel and it costs money for supplies.... I also find that this reduces the chances that the buyer will throw the new fish into an existing tank of fish..I use it as part of the education system.. use it as an opportunity to teach QT ... I may lose a few customers that way...but to be honest...I could care less...if I minimize my headaches and cover my costs.

My first choice is always local pickup.,... but if you have to ship...price your costs and be honest about it...This isn't a business for the casual shipper....I've never had a buyer grill me because of what I sell the fish for and what it costs to ship them...but I am also very straight forward with what it costs....

I'm apack rat for styros..My attic is full of them... many others here are similar. If you don't have that space storage...maybe some time before selling you can post a message asking for styros in your area? The Blue or pink backer board at Home depot/lowes is about 3/4 inch and comes in 2X 8 sheets for about $12 in a pinch it can be used and should do close to 2 average size boxes.. so its not cheap... your right..

Other sources for boxes free.. Drug stores and Biotechs and universities.. I use to raid all these... they get reagents and samples in them.. Friends used to save me boxes from omaha steaks ( now thats a sweet box!) These sources all used save them for me...they actually liked that I was re-using the stuff.

Worse case scenario...If someone has fish I want to buy, price is not my first consideration.. If they are commercial I know they are building in the shipping material costs or they should. When I bought wilds...they'd charge me $1 per heat pack and a box charge... I don't think I would mind.... if a hobbyists said to me they'd love to ship me but they'd have to buy the supplies...no sweat.... what do you need price wise...as long as its fair and upfront...I'll pay for it...if its not..I'll walk away. I've even sent the supplies to hobbyists when I was getting their fish....

I guess it all matters how much you want to get into it..The casual shipper can do it...but they may just need to be a little creative.

Hth in some way.
    -al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-14-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

This is great. Some of our local club members have been expressing an increased interest in this lately, myself included, so this was written with perfect timing!
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    personally...I don't ship less than 6 3" fish at a time for instance.....its not worth it financially...
    I'm apack rat for styros..My attic is full of them...

The casual shipper can do it...but they may just need to be a little creative.

Hth in some way.
    -al
    I don't keep fry until they are 3" - I don't have the space, and the extra resources and time needed to raise them an extra inch really doesn't make up for the higher selling price. I've accessed those sources as well but again, the problem is finding the right size - most are not tall enough, including those from my fishy friends. I don't think anyone would think me less than creative. If you have an attic full, well, I guess it's time to pay you a visit!

Martha,
    If I were you then, what I would do is Sell the fish at the smaller size you are accustomed to selling at, but only ship in quantity and price accordingly... then the cost of the shipping supplies should be minimized.. I don't ship as much anymore as its too expensive and too much a hassel. and my hobby has taken a slightly different direction than just production and sale...so if you need a box or two...next time we see each other at one of the meetings...let me know and I'll bring some along if I have sizes you can use..

Unfortunately the only other option is to just not ship...local pickup only...or maybe if its worth your while...meet half way to bump up your geographic range.

All things considered...Everyone needs to realize that shipping may not be practical based on their volumes and goals..

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

People frequently ask me to meet them half way - normally a two or three hour drive to sell 6 $15 discus! LOL Well, good stuff to think about. I appreciate your posting the information.

Registered Member

Thanks, Al. I may never use the information, but it's good to know.

Do you think that using 1/8" thick packing foam instead of newspaper as padding between layers of bags might be a good idea?

Thanks, Al. I may never use the information, but it's good to know.

Do you think that using 1/8" thick packing foam instead of newspaper as padding between layers of bags might be a good idea?
    Not sure about that but if its flexible enough to do I don't see why not. Another thing thats often used is a "bag liner" Theses are a thicker mil plastic that are only a few inches high and it sits in the shipping bags as the newspaper would....these help prevent punctures... when I used to ship alot of adult wilds I would make my own from rolls of 6 mil plastic sheeting..I used the black as it it tends to calm the fish down..most bag liners I have seen are also black.

Hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I've heard that we shouldn't ship for a Saturday am delivery because if the delivery gets held up, it won't arrive until Monday. Does it happen that often? I wonder if a Saturday delivery is what the customers often ask for.

Martha,
    I will never ever ship for Saturday delivery....regardless of what the customer wants.. I understand the convenience to the working schedule for many with SAT delivery., but I'd rather lose a customer than a shipment of fish. Most of what I would sell I can't replace .....even at a loss. and what most hobbyists don't understand is shipping livestock is a gamble...trying to get the shipping company to pay for a loss with live cargo is very difficult even when its clearly their fault..insuring the cargo makes no difference either if its live....some expressly state that you ship at your own risk....other have so many loopholes built in... that they always get out ... at best you'll get your shipping back..

I have had things go terribly wrong with Sat shipments. A well packed fish can often survive an extra day in transit...but 2 days is really pushing it. Never again...not worth it..I'd rather ship to a fedex near them and they can pick it during the week at lunch or on the way home....and then I can still have them pay fedex direct for any shipping costs.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Good to know!

Registered Member underwaterforest's Avatar

Great Info. Sticky It!
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast