ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "NEED YOUR HELP DESIGNING THE PERFECT WET/DRY FILTER"

Registered Member

Default Re: "NEED YOUR HELP DESIGNING THE PERFECT WET/DRY DISCUS FILTER"

Quote Originally Posted by tcyiu View Post
    Up to a point this is correct. Once the bio filter capacity exceeds your discus' ability to poop, the extra capacity is just a waste (if you'll excuse the pun).

And more importantly, the trickle filter will NOT remove any significant amount of nitrates. That would require a specialized denitrifier, and water with zero oxygen. Which is of course the exact opposite of what a trickle filter will produce - highly aerated water. So you'll still need to change water every few days.

Tim
    If the extra capacity bio filter capacity is excessive and "just a waste", will it do any harm or just not be of any benefit?
    I assume that the extra capacity will permit me to have a larger shoal of Discus, as oversized
    bio filter capacity will be utilized proportionately to the amount of ammonia waste produced.

I do know that nitrates need to be removed from the system with water changes.
    The pursuit of this "PERFECT WET/DRY FILTER" is not in lieu of water changes, it is in addition to regular water changes at whatever interval is required to maintain perfect water quality conditions.

In addition, I was planning on installing an Aquaripure Nitrate Filter to the wet/dry system at the very end of the tricke filter that would filter the water in the final sump area of water being returned to the tank to remove nitrates.
    What do you think?
    I value the knowledge and experience of each and every one of you and appreciate all your input.
    Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by Steven Turitz; 04-02-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    While I agree that daily water changes may be the best overall, that doesn't change the fact that a good filtration system is always better than a mrginal one.
    My sentiments exactly. I couldn't have said it more eloquently.
    Last edited by Steven Turitz; 04-02-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Registered Member

Can I ask is your wet/dry going on a predrilled tank with internal overflow? Search over at monsterfishkeepers and search for "turf algea scrubber' if nitrate removal is a concern.
    Predrilled with 2 internal overflows
    Last edited by Steven Turitz; 04-02-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Registered Member

My DIY wet/dry is run off an internal overflow with dual 1" pvc feeds into 25 micron socks. This fills the first chamber until it overflows onto a trickle plate that is at a 30 degree downward incline over the second chamber that is filled with bio-balls resting ontop of dual airstones. The water then travels into the thrid chamber which hoses two rio 2500 pumps that pump 900 GPH each into there own omin 5 micron filter, then into dual 18watt UV sterilzers and finally back into the tank. Changing the micron socks takes me all of 2 minutes and can be re-used almost indefinately.
    I'd love to see a picture and a sketch
    Last edited by Steven Turitz; 04-02-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ramblingfish View Post
    I'v write something on how to build a tidal wet/dry filter.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=75334
    I read your thread.
    "the main maintenance work is daily waterchange".
    I cannot possible make this "Discus Journey" if it includes daily water changes.
    Every Saturday morning is way more viable for me taking into account my business obligations.
    That's why I need to create "THE PERFECT WET/DRY DISCUS FILTER" to maintain water conditions throughout the week.
    Steve

Registered Member

Default Re: "NEED YOUR HELP DESIGNING THE PERFECT WET/DRY FILTER"

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    All those canisters with the Lifeguard system are APITA.
    Darrell
    I believe you are confusing the Lifeguard (separate) canister(s) system with the Lifereef LF2-300.
    Steve

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

I don't like the mechanical sock filter. Too much waste collected in a small area. The water has no choice but to keep flowing through all the collected waste. I prefer micron filter fabric laid over a flat surface such as egg crate. I use different size plastic tubs for my mechanical filters, 8 inches x 12 inches works well for a 75 gallon tank. I support the horizontal egg crate with vertical pieces of egg crate and zip tie it all together. The horizontal egg crate, placed level, sits about two inches below the rim of the plastic tub and the filter fabric laps up to form a pan. As the debris collects on the fabric the water flows through a cleaner section of the fabric instead of forcing the water to flow through all the debris as with the typical sock mechanical filter. I change and wash the fabric daily. I also recommend the book Aquatic Systems Engineering: Devices and How They Function by P.R Escobal?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turitz View Post
    Darrell
    I believe you are confusing the Lifeguard (separate) canister(s) system with the Lifereef LF2-300.
    Steve
    You're right. I noticed it later, but let it go, since you didn't seem interested in the more simple systems anyway. Not criticizing at all. It's just that experience has taught me with filtration, the simpler the better. The more parts and pieces, the more likely something will go wrong, and it will only happen when you're out of town. Hope it works out for you.
    Darrell

Registered Member

I do daily w/c because it's overcrowded.I breed many discus fishes myself. there are tens of fishes in a 250l tank.If it's stocked properly,I don't think it need do daily w/c at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12