AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Low nutrients

Registered Member

Default Low nutrients

Hi,

I have always been a fan of planted tanks so question is concerning mostly plants(this is why I posted the question here and not in water work section). Some time ago I removed all fish from my 100g tank and only left a discus couple to give them privacy they need since they have been trying to spawn for a longer time and in community tank other fish eat small ones when they start swimming. But now it seems I am facing a new issue. I just tested the water and both, nitrates and phosphates are almost 0. Since I still have a tank full of plants they seem to be consuming all very fast. And with only 2 fish feeding is much much less which is probably causing the lack of nitrate and phosphate.
    So the question is- should I remove fast growing plants (which I would not like to do really) or is there a controlled and safe way of adding nitrate and phosphate? And what are the levels that are harmless for discus?
    Last edited by aix1; 10-23-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Default Re: Low nutrients

There is an easy way to add nitrates and phosphates etc. Most lfs will sell complete fertilisers, those by tropica and ada are superb. Or you can get the dry powders and mae your own.

Aim for 1 to 2 ppm PO4 and 15 ppm NO3 after dosing, I have found these levels to work well in discus and angel tanks.

This is a link to a UK based shop that sells the powders to give you an idea http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/dry-...4_145_146.html and this is for the liquid ferts http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com...id-fertilisers

Good luck
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Thanks for advice! I am only a bit scared of boosting them too high considering that there is a pair of discus who is trying to spawn What would be harmless levels for this kind of situation?

Quote Originally Posted by aix1 View Post
    ...What would be harmless levels for this kind of situation?
    These ...
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Aim for 1 to 2 ppm PO4 and 15 ppm NO3 after dosing, I have found these levels to work well in discus and angel tanks....
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Got it! Just checking