ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CO2 cylinder size

Default Re: CO2 cylinder size

I run a 10lb. on a fully planted 135g and need to change it every 5 months or so. I found that getting refills and owning the tank are easier for me. I pay 12.00 for a refill. All the stamps are up to date. It fits easily in my stand. I suggest getting a perma-seal for about 10 bucks. You never have to worry about the seal again. I Do have my co2 on a timer so it shuts off at 9p and on at 7a. I had a jungle growing so fast that the plants were using most of the o2 at night.

I purchased all the bells and whistle when I started and found that you(I) really didn't need all the items I have. I no longer use the drop checker, the bubble counter, the shut off on the co2 regulator or half the ferts I have. I do have to replace the bulbs every 10 months or so. This way the algae doesn't get hold. Glosso still grows and my trimming has decrease. I sure you will get it down with time.

Good luck

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
    My 10lb. lasts for 12 months and I fill it at the local fire extinguisher place for $25. I have a lush 75 gal. planted tank with no algae. Hope this helps.
    It certainly helps! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkrob View Post
    I run a 10lb. on a fully planted 135g and need to change it every 5 months or so. I found that getting refills and owning the tank are easier for me. I pay 12.00 for a refill. All the stamps are up to date. It fits easily in my stand. I suggest getting a perma-seal for about 10 bucks. You never have to worry about the seal again. I Do have my co2 on a timer so it shuts off at 9p and on at 7a. I had a jungle growing so fast that the plants were using most of the o2 at night.

I purchased all the bells and whistle when I started and found that you(I) really didn't need all the items I have. I no longer use the drop checker, the bubble counter, the shut off on the co2 regulator or half the ferts I have. I do have to replace the bulbs every 10 months or so. This way the algae doesn't get hold. Glosso still grows and my trimming has decrease. I sure you will get it down with time.

Good luck

Robert
    Hey there. What is the reason you say it's easier to own? $12 seems very inexpensive to refill!

Regarding the equipment, a lot of it is like test kits. You need them when you're setting up stuff and you barely use it, after you have everything dialed in. I still want to have most of it, cause it gives flexibility to change your aquascape anytime. The only one I probably will skip, at least initially, is the ph controller.

Registered Member theblondskeleton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waters10 View Post
    That seems like a lot of CO2. Are you planning to keep that level after you add your discus?
    I already have some discus in there, and they do just fine - as well as my BN plec, otos, GBR's, etc. The snails get a little crusty after a few weeks, but all's well.

To be honest, I don't think the CO2 level is accurate, but I have checked and double checked the pH (with several different kits and the Milwaukee meter), and know it to be so. Couldn't tell you why.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Quote Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
    I already have some discus in there, and they do just fine - as well as my BN plec, otos, GBR's, etc. The snails get a little crusty after a few weeks, but all's well.

To be honest, I don't think the CO2 level is accurate, but I have checked and double checked the pH (with several different kits and the Milwaukee meter), and know it to be so. Couldn't tell you why.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Ah, I remember you had some discus. I meant your hans discus ... Those will look great on that tank!

Just an update.

Won an ebay auction for a 10lb tank today.

I called all the welding supplies around my area and they all exchange! Couldn't find a single place that refills on the spot. You also need to have a tank already. Their prices on used tank were terrible! The cheapest I could get was an aluminum 5lb for 75 bucks. The 10lbs one didn't start till around 85-90 ... Oh and 3 airgas stores had different prices on the used tanks and on the exchanges! Crazy.

I also bought a cheap drop checker from ebay for 8.50. Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to set up my system.

Thanks for all who replied!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Just an update.

Won an ebay auction for a 10lb tank today.

I called all the welding supplies around my area and they all exchange! Couldn't find a single place that refills on the spot. You also need to have a tank already. Their prices on used tank were terrible! The cheapest I could get was an aluminum 5lb for 75 bucks. The 10lbs one didn't start till around 85-90 ... Oh and 3 airgas stores had different prices on the used tanks and on the exchanges! Crazy.

I also bought a cheap drop checker from ebay for 8.50. Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to set up my system.

Thanks for all who replied!
    How much was shipping?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    How much was shipping?
    Total was $60.50 shipped. It's a refurb unit. This seller keeps selling them. As soon as I got mine, another auction went up. I searched completed auctions and he usually sells for $55-70. I could've gotten for 55, if it wasn't for a last 5 second bidder! Hate those!

Hey, need some help!

I just bought a CO2 regulator as an impulse buy (it was 1/2 price!) when I know very well I should've waited, specially for the management approval.

But anyway, after a few nights sleeping on the couch, I'm now looking for a CO2 tank. The question is, what size should I get for my 85g tank (medium planted)? I'll be using a solenoid with a timer (~8-10h/day) and I'm planning to reach 20 or so ppm, using a drop checker.

From what I read, it costs about the same to refill the tanks, so I know the bigger ones make more sense on the financial side. But how long will each tank last on my setup approximately? I'm thinking more in terms of the hassle of getting it refilled too often.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 5lb cylinder because I think it'll last quite a while and being cheaper, I don't have to spend a lot more nights on the couch ... But if a 10lb cylinder makes it a lot more sense, I'll think about it.

thanks!!
    I bought a 10 lb cylinder on the cheap, took it to Airgas and got my swap. the gas is about 10.50.

I am still breaking the tank in, so I don't know how long it will last. Good luck with the CO2 and glad to hear you are off the sofa.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    I bought a 10 lb cylinder on the cheap, took it to Airgas and got my swap. the gas is about 10.50.

I am still breaking the tank in, so I don't know how long it will last. Good luck with the CO2 and glad to hear you are off the sofa.
    10.50? The closest airgas wanted 20.50 for a 5lb swap!! Crazy ... The cheapest I found for a 10lb swap is around $13.

10.50? The closest airgas wanted 20.50 for a 5lb swap!! Crazy ... The cheapest I found for a 10lb swap is around $13.
    Yep, 10.50 and that's with tax...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Total was $60.50 shipped. It's a refurb unit. This seller keeps selling them. As soon as I got mine, another auction went up. I searched completed auctions and he usually sells for $55-70. I could've gotten for 55, if it wasn't for a last 5 second bidder! Hate those!
    even if it's a refurb, you are eventually going to swap it out, so it really doesn't matter. i think i saw the auction for that refurb tank as well.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    even if it's a refurb, you are eventually going to swap it out, so it really doesn't matter. i think i saw the auction for that refurb tank as well.
    Eventually? I won't use this cylinder at all! You can only ship empty tanks, so I'll need to fill it for the first time. Since I couldn't find a single place that fill on the spot, I'll exchange this tank right away ... I'm gonna try to get an aluminum in good shape on my first exchange.

Are you looking for a CO2 tank as well?

Eventually? I won't use this cylinder at all! You can only ship empty tanks, so I'll need to fill it for the first time. Since I couldn't find a single place that fill on the spot, I'll exchange this tank right away ... I'm gonna try to get an aluminum in good shape on my first exchange.

Are you looking for a CO2 tank as well?
    Do they even have aluminum to swap with your at your local store? I know my welding place doesn't have aluminum and if you want to fill yours, you have to leave it and come back later.

There is a good test seal on the one you got on ebay right?

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    Do they even have aluminum to swap with your at your local store? I know my welding place doesn't have aluminum and if you want to fill yours, you have to leave it and come back later.

There is a good test seal on the one you got on ebay right?
    All the places I called, I asked for steel and aluminum and they basically said they sell whatever is in there, so I'm assuming they have both. But it doesn't matter, I'll be going to the cheapest place to swap anyway and if they only have steel at that moment, it's fine. None of the weld shops offered the option to refill a tank. There was a paintball store that offers to refill overnight, but I didn't even call them to see if they do that with regular cga320 tanks or not ...

I didn't get the tank yet, but the description says test was sep/09. Tank is refurb, but got tested and painted. We'll see what it looks like when I get it.

Real Name
    Walter

That's a good price on a swap for a filled 10 pound. I go to a local welding place and the price to swap out for a filled steel 20 pound is just under $20.00. It costs me about the same (roughly $20.00) to have my aluminum 10 pound filled at a fire extinguisher shop (although he usually does it right there while I wait).

Another local place that does swap outs (empty for filled) is a hydroponics shop. The welding shop costs less though for me.

The folks that brew beer at home know some sources for CO2 too.

HTH,

Walter
    Walter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast