AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CO2 cylinder size

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: CO2 cylinder size

Quote Originally Posted by waters10 View Post
    Eventually? I won't use this cylinder at all! You can only ship empty tanks, so I'll need to fill it for the first time. Since I couldn't find a single place that fill on the spot, I'll exchange this tank right away ... I'm gonna try to get an aluminum in good shape on my first exchange.

Are you looking for a CO2 tank as well?
    yeah, i am looking for one as well. i saw that one, but the "refurb" kind of threw me off. i honestly thought they were filled, lol...can you tell i do not know much about co2?

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    Do they even have aluminum to swap with your at your local store? I know my welding place doesn't have aluminum and if you want to fill yours, you have to leave it and come back later.

There is a good test seal on the one you got on ebay right?
    I got the same impression from reading in another forum. most places do a swap out rather than fill, and almost none will give you an aluminum tank. i was also worried about the test seal, let us know how it looks when you get it.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I take mine to airgas, and they trade aluminum for aluminum. I don't know for sure, but I would think it would be the same every where. But that doesn't mean that it is going to look nice and shine like a new one.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
    I take mine to airgas, and they trade aluminum for aluminum. I don't know for sure, but I would think it would be the same every where. But that doesn't mean that it is going to look nice and shine like a new one.
    i just called my local airgas and they said it would be $12 to swap out. not bad really. i'm still thinking if it's worth buying the aluminum ones when i'm not sure if they swap out aluminum for aluminum like in your local airgas Jason.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    yeah, i am looking for one as well. i saw that one, but the "refurb" kind of threw me off. i honestly thought they were filled, lol...can you tell i do not know much about co2?

I got the same impression from reading in another forum. most places do a swap out rather than fill, and almost none will give you an aluminum tank. i was also worried about the test seal, let us know how it looks when you get it.
    The whole swap/refill thing seems to be very dependent on the area. Like I said before, I called 3 different airgas around me and they all had different prices for the used tanks and for the exchange!

I'll post an update when I get mine. The reason I didn't mind a refurb, is cause I won't even use it once! If you don't like to deal with ebay, here's the cheapest 10lb I could find online. It's only ~10 shipping, so ~65 total. I set my ebay bidding to be $60 max and if I had lost the auction, I was going to buy from these guys.

Walter, I didn't check hydroponic stores. I did call 2 fire extinguisher stores and none of them swap or refill. I was happy with the $13 price, so I'm gonna stay with that for now.

Real Name
    Ricardo

The whole swap/refill thing seems to be very dependent on the area. Like I said before, I called 3 different airgas around me and they all had different prices for the used tanks and for the exchange!

I'll post an update when I get mine. The reason I didn't mind a refurb, is cause I won't even use it once! If you don't like to deal with ebay, here's the cheapest 10lb I could find online. It's only ~10 shipping, so ~65 total. I set my ebay bidding to be $60 max and if I had lost the auction, I was going to buy from these guys.

Walter, I didn't check hydroponic stores. I did call 2 fire extinguisher stores and none of them swap or refill. I was happy with the $13 price, so I'm gonna stay with that for now.
    that's not a bad price on that tank. i deal with ebay for pretty much everything, lol. just let us know how it goes

Cafepress.com

Registered Member theblondskeleton's Avatar

Ah, I remember you had some discus. I meant your hans discus ... Those will look great on that tank!
    Yeah, the ones that are in there now are the "ugly fish", haha... placeholders for my Hans beauties... They are looking great and I'm itching to get them in there, myself!

Real Name
    Walter

I agree - looks like you've found a good deal on the CO2 cylinder and the swap/ exchange. Can't complain about that!

Walter
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
    Yeah, the ones that are in there now are the "ugly fish", haha... placeholders for my Hans beauties... They are looking great and I'm itching to get them in there, myself!
    Post some pics. They must be big now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wahter View Post
    I agree - looks like you've found a good deal on the CO2 cylinder and the swap/ exchange. Can't complain about that!

Walter
    Yeah, so far so good. I'll get it tomorrow, so we'll see if it was really a good deal!

Oh and if anyone has a brass check valve and some CO2 tubing that they want to get rid of, shoot me a PM! Last pieces of the puzzle.
    Last edited by waters10; 04-18-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Post some pics. They must be big now!

Yeah, so far so good. I'll get it tomorrow, so we'll see if it was really a good deal!

Oh and if anyone has a brass check valve and some CO2 tubing that they want to get rid of, shoot me a PM! Last pieces of the puzzle.
    don't skimp on those 2. get them both from Rex Griggs

click here

Cafepress.com

don't skimp on those 2. get them both from Rex Griggs

click here
    I know ... Just trying to see if there's someone that bought from Rex and doesn't need anymore.

I already have 1 clippard brass check valve, but now that I got my regulator, I realized the built in bubble counter doesn't have a check valve. So I'll be doing a diy ghetto inline bubble counter with check valve before and after.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I know ... Just trying to see if there's someone that bought from Rex and doesn't need anymore.

I already have 1 clippard brass check valve, but now that I got my regulator, I realized the built in bubble counter doesn't have a check valve. So I'll be doing a diy ghetto inline bubble counter with check valve before and after.
    Nice! What regulator are you running? You might have mentioned it prior, sry.

Cafepress.com

Nice! What regulator are you running? You might have mentioned it prior, sry.
    Got this for $75 new. Robert from Aquabotanic was getting rid of old stock and post 2 regs for sale at planted tank swap n' shop. He also offered a fabco valve for $15 ($23 @ Rex) and a brass check valve for $10 ($12.50 @ Rex). So I got the regulator, plus fabco and check valve for $100. Not the best regulator, but it's supposed to be better than milwaukee or azoo, plus with the fabco valve, should be pretty good. I was not ready to go pressurized yet, but I couldn't pass that deal ... Like I said, it was worth a few nights on the couch!

Registered Member born2lovefish's Avatar

I have 3 20lb tanks. They sit outside of the tank in a corner between tank and the wall, so they are protected from falling over. I pay about $23 for one to be switched out for another aluminum tank, and that includes hydrotesting, if the one I trade in needs it.
    www.his-angelfish.webs.com

Real Name
    Walter

Got this for $75 new. Robert from Aquabotanic was getting rid of old stock and post 2 regs for sale at planted tank swap n' shop. He also offered a fabco valve for $15 ($23 @ Rex) and a brass check valve for $10 ($12.50 @ Rex). So I got the regulator, plus fabco and check valve for $100. Not the best regulator, but it's supposed to be better than milwaukee or azoo, plus with the fabco valve, should be pretty good. I was not ready to go pressurized yet, but I couldn't pass that deal ... Like I said, it was worth a few nights on the couch!
    I've got the same regulator back when it was offered originally by Marine Monolith Monsters (hence the M3 on the knob) plus I have the clippard needle valve. So far, it's been very dependable, so I can't complain.

Walter
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Wahter View Post
    I've got the same regulator back when it was offered originally by Marine Monolith Monsters (hence the M3 on the knob) plus I have the clippard needle valve. So far, it's been very dependable, so I can't complain.

Walter
    Cool! Since you had that regulator, let me ask you a question (and for others who might know the answer).

This is a picture showing the needle valve connected to the solenoid. I'd like to disconnect it. How do I do that? If I start rotating the needle valve, it'll hit the solenoid body!

This is a pic from the bottom of the solenoid. I've seen pics of solenoids that have that black solenoid body rotated. Do I have to remove those 4 screws to be able to rotate the solenoid? I have no idea what brand of solenoid this is ...

Any help would be great.

And back to the topic. Here's a pic of the tank. Received it today:

It seems to be in good shape! It's just been painted. The only thing is that I have no idea how to read the stamps on it! There are a lot of stamps and a quick search online didn't reveal any obvious way to read them. I found that metal tanks should have stamps like that, and you should not remove old stamps. I believe the most recent one that is marked in white and it says "4" then two lines A8 top, 73 bottom, then the number "10". I'm hoping it means the tank was tested in Apr/10, even though the auction said the tank had a Sep/09 hydro test. If anyone knows how to read these things, let me know.

I'm planning to take the tank to a welding supply store to get it exchanged. I guess I'll find out if the stamp is current.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast