AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: A quick 2010 update!

Default A quick 2010 update!

It has been so long since I updated everyone on the progress of my control group, and for that I have to sincerely apologize. Unfortunately, sometimes real life gets in the way. I don't have any recent pictures yet but I will try to snap some soon.

I've had to cut back on my water changes to about 80% every other day. I also added pellets (Hikari Cichlid Gold, sinking type) into the diet to keep the tank a bit cleaner. The beefheart really makes a mess when they tear it apart. I have not been power feeding the fish; they get meals about three times a day. I usually give them one big meal of frozen food and then a few palmfuls of pellets when I'm working in the fish room.

My fish are not as large and bulky as some of the other contest fish, but I decided to keep them in their 55 gallon since I'm the control group. The advice on Simply has always been that you can grow six discus to adulthood in a 55 with proper water changes and feedings, so that's what I set out to show.

The fish have topped out at 5 - 5.5" or so, and mine didn't develop as much patterning (either white striation or red spots) as some of the other members' fish.

They are, however, spawning. I've had eggs several times now. I've put a cone or two in the tank to let them try again.

Overall, the fish are on the small side (especially compared to the monster White Butterflies I had from Forrest a couple years ago!) but they are very healthy and personable.

I will try to get a couple shots of them soon.

Default Re: A quick 2010 update!

Thanks for the update Ryan, sorry to hear you've been very busy. Hope you are doing well and sounds like fishes are!

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thanks for the update Ryan! Looking forward to the pics when you can.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

" A quick 2010 update" You have gone to annual updates huh?
    Ha ha, just couldn't resist. Great to hear everything is ok and busy isn't always bad.
    Take care, also looking forward to pics.
    Bill

Ryan,

glad to hear that you are ok! It's been a long time! I know how where you're coming from with life's business. It can really consume you. Take care my friend!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the update Ryan. Good to hear from you!

Good to hear from you Ryan... I look forward to you pics!

Take care,
    David

Ryan, Glad you still have the fish and have been able to take care of them as much as you did. Actually, the average person would take the same care of their fish as you did. 80% every other day and decent food = the way many people take care of their discus.. Maybe the outcome WILL be very benificial to us all. Most others in the competition are doing massive water changes and feeding some kind of mix. It will be interesting to see what the contrast actually is. I may be wrong but the coloring and pattern is more genetic than care. Also, don't forget a discus really doesn't grow to its full potential until it is about 2.5 years old.. Some genetics also play a role in that.. This group will serve as a very good contrast of care.. Thanks for weighing in Bro.. David T

Glad to hear they are doing well Ryan. It sounds like your fish have it pretty nice there. That is the perfect control group in my opinion. Looking forward to some photo when you can.

Thanks for the update.

Kenny

Registered Member

I'm just curious: When does this contest end and the winner is announced? It's going to be hard to choose - I don't envy the judge!

Will