ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: "Aged water" and still Discus dies.

Default "Aged water" and still Discus dies.

It's been a month since I started using the "aged water" system. I lost 2 as of today. I feed 3 times a day with beef mix and tetra bits. My water quality is OK.

Ammonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    pH-7.2
    Nitrate-40
    Temperature 86F
    60 gallon tank-bare
    9 Discus now down to 7
    1 Bristlenose
    5 Gold Tetra
    1 Chain Loach
    1 Airstone
    1 Filstar xp2 filled with Poret foam. Gets cleaned once a month.

I do 3 times a week 50% water change. Here's how I do it.

Siphon the tank up to 50%
    Pump the conditioned and aged water. This takes about 10 minutes.

I refill my storage for my aged water and condition it with Seachem's Prime. I have a heater in my storage that is set at 86F the same as the tank's temperature.

The symptoms of the 2 that died are the same. They both start swimming franticly and even tries to jump out of the tank which 1 of them literally jump out. They both turned dark in color. The first one died about 3 weeks ago and the other one died yesterday. I added salt at 1 Tablespoon per gallon but nothing happened.

I hope to hear from you guys and help me find out what causes this?

Default Re: "Aged water" and still Discus dies.

Sounds like toxins. What are you using for an aging container? Is it covered so nothing in the air can contaminate the water? What type of pump are you using to pump water back into the tank? What type of hose/plumbing are you using to pump the water into the tank?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Rick

Sounds like toxins.
    While I would not eliminate toxins as a possibility, I would not have it on top of my list either. Toxins would typically knock out the tetras first (they act like the canary in the coal mine in the aquarium). Did you notice how they acted when the discus was freakign out?

My first guess would be stress related illness due to a densly populated tank (maybe not overstocked, but pushing the limits). You just might have scared the bejeesus out of them during a water change.

Your xp2 is a bit small for your stocking levels, I would have at least an xp3. Your ammonia/nitrite levels look fine, but can I ask when they were taken? Have your tested just prior to a water change (this is when the water will be at its worse qualty).
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 04-13-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Registered Member

I agree with Eddie. There is something in the water. My first suspect is always either chlorine or chloramine because they are deemed safe for humans.

My discus showed those exact symptoms once which confused me. I always treat my water. Someone here told me that water utilities change their chlorination dosages after heavy rains or in case of a leak. It all made sense. I double dosed my dechlorination treatment and the discus went back to normal.

Try adding more Prime directly into the tank and see if the discus calm down.

Tim

Another thought: How about stray voltage? Have a multimeter? Put the ground in the ground of a socket, and the red lead in your water.

Quote Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
    Another thought: How about stray voltage? Have a multimeter? Put the ground in the ground of a socket, and the red lead in your water.
    This is also a possibility.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thank you so much for the replies guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
    Not familiar on how to go about this. I don't think there is a stray voltage cause if there is I should been shock while doing my water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by tcyiu View Post
    I agree with Eddie. There is something in the water. My first suspect is always either chlorine or chloramine because they are deemed safe for humans.

My discus showed those exact symptoms once which confused me. I always treat my water. Someone here told me that water utilities change their chlorination dosages after heavy rains or in case of a leak. It all made sense. I double dosed my dechlorination treatment and the discus went back to normal.

Try adding more Prime directly into the tank and see if the discus calm down.

Tim
    Will give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    While I would not eliminate toxins as a possibility, I would not have it on top of my list either. Toxins would typically knock out the tetras first (they act like the canary in the coal mine in the aquarium). Did you notice how they acted when the discus was freakign out?

My first guess would be stress related illness due to a densly populated tank (maybe not overstocked, but pushing the limits). You just might have scared the bejeesus out of them during a water change.

Your xp2 is a bit small for your stocking levels, I would have at least an xp3. Your ammonia/nitrite levels look fine, but can I ask when they were taken? Have your tested just prior to a water change (this is when the water will be at its worse qualty).
    The Tetras acted the usual. They are OK. My xp2 is sort of a "hybrid." It uses the motor of the xp2 but uses xp4 container. So, instead of 2 baskets I have 4 baskets. The readings of my water are before water change.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Sounds like toxins. What are you using for an aging container? Is it covered so nothing in the air can contaminate the water? What type of pump are you using to pump water back into the tank? What type of hose/plumbing are you using to pump the water into the tank?

Eddie
    I am using a new 44 gallon Rubbermaid Brute trash can which I cleaned before using. Yes it has a cover. The pump that I use is a SEN900. It's rated 900GPH. I use Python hose to pump the water into the tank.

What happen when you don't used "aged" water but use tap water with prime at 86 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by KEWX View Post
    What happen when you don't used "aged" water but use tap water with prime at 86 degrees?
    I noticed that it takes them longer to adjusts and yes I had lost a Discus using straight tap water.

Real Name
    Rick

The pump that I use is a SEN900. It's rated 900GPH.
    It is possible that you might be adding the new water a bit fast. Hard to say without knowing your head hieght etc. Can you slow the flow down at all? How long does it take you to refill the tank? Try doubling this time, even if you have to pause 1/2 way thru for 10 minutes or more.

I don't think it is a water quality issue, but something more in the mechanics (fast flow, temperature deviation, fish scared of your hands in the tank, etc). If you want to rule out chlorine/chloramine go get your self a test kit rather than just blindly add more dechlor into the mix. It's better to conclusively determine what the problem is, rather than to think you saw an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    It is possible that you might be adding the new water a bit fast. Hard to say without knowing your head hieght etc. Can you slow the flow down at all? How long does it take you to refill the tank? Try doubling this time, even if you have to pause 1/2 way thru for 10 minutes or more.

I don't think it is a water quality issue, but something more in the mechanics (fast flow, temperature deviation, fish scared of your hands in the tank, etc). If you want to rule out chlorine/chloramine go get your self a test kit rather than just blindly add more dechlor into the mix. It's better to conclusively determine what the problem is, rather than to think you saw an improvement.
    Yes I can slow down the flow. I think so too. Thanks again.