AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My fish room

Default Re: My fish room

Kenny,

I love the plan! Looks great! Looks a bit like mine on steroids.

I'm with Eddie on the water storage issue. I'd have more storage space on hand. You never know when you'll need it!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Looks good.

2 Things:

1. As already mentioned you always need more change water.
    2. It is nice to have an area for storage and bagging in the fishroom. It is best to have your bagging area as close to the fish tanks as possible.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Looks good.

2 Things:

1. As already mentioned you always need more change water.
    2. It is nice to have an area for storage and bagging in the fishroom. It is best to have your bagging area as close to the fish tanks as possible.

-john
    John,
    i am working on a revision to add 2-275 stacking totes in one corner. i have an area which is 7' x 7' for working inside the room.
    Thanks

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

It will work but I think you will find that a 7 X 7 is a little small at times. When you start storing lots of fish boxes and filling lots of orders....both of which I think you will do.

Good Luck and it does look good.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    John,
    i am working on a revision to add 2-275 stacking totes in one corner. i have an area which is 7' x 7' for working inside the room.
    Thanks
    Those totes are great! That's what I use. Trying to find the buttress fittings is a pain. Let me know if you have any trouble finding them.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It will work but I think you will find that a 7 X 7 is a little small at times. When you start storing lots of fish boxes and filling lots of orders....both of which I think you will do.

-john
    John,
    this is just my hobby buddy i am happy if they just pay there own way. This is in my basement and i have an area right outside the door with work tables if i need. My problem is that i do not want to have to heat too much empty area. Right now in my current place i am heating way to large of an area and it kills me in energy cost. I was hoping to condense a bit and try and only heat mass to cut costs. I total understand the boxing work area thought, but i was figuring on doing that type work outside the room. I am just about finished my revisions. i will send off shortly. let me know your thoughts.

Thanks Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    Those totes are great! That's what I use. Trying to find the buttress fittings is a pain. Let me know if you have any trouble finding them.

Best wishes!
    I have two totes now. They just were not fitting into my original plans. I am going back to them in my new revisions. let me know your thoughts on this new layout.

Thanks Kenny

thank you guys for your feed back. here is a revised plan. i added 4-275 gal totes in both corners. This will give me 1100 gal storage water.i will have to make the room a little bigger. i have a feeling this is not going to be the last expansion,i am just hoping to get them out now in the planning stage. I will now keep my ro water storage under one rack. i feel the more i fill this room the more efficient it will be to heat. this is in my basement,there is plenty of additional space if needed. I appreciate the feed back you guys are giving. it is going to make this a better fish room with all the input. Once i move in i will post some area shots so you all can get a better feel for the area i have to work with. Let me know what you think of the new layout.The reds are 25's,yellows are 55's the purples are 75's. i did not really space out the small 20,10 and 5's except the rack as you enter. they will find a home somewhere. i am already seeing problems. i should just insulate the whole basement.

Thanks
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Registered Member

If your new place has natural gas, you might want to consider a gas-fired tankless water heater and thermostatic mixing valve to fill the totes. It'd be pricey, up front, for sure, but when you're using a lot of hot water, the price delta between gas and electric has a huge effect. It also means you won't have to hold as much or wait as long to use the aged water because it's already up to temp. Another possibility is to use a gas-fired boiler for both domestic hot water and fishroom heat. That's something you'd need to work out with a heating contractor unless you're extremely well versed in that realm. Estimates are often free, however...

I'd definitely insulate the ceiling, because that's where heat loss is greatest, but you need to be careful not to seal the room too tightly so as to avoid condensation and mold, or use an air to air heat exchanger to keep humidity down while conserving some heat... Jehmco sells 'em...

Lots of considerations and possibilities, but I'm sure it'll work out well given the effort you're investing...

As with any home improvement project, it'll probably cost twice as much and take twice as long as you'd figured in the first place, if my own experiences are any guide...

I'd even go to the trouble of moving if I could do something similar, but that would probably entail divorce, in which case I wouldn't be able to afford it, or winning the lottery, which is extremely unlikely...

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

I like the revisions...I do not see a sink inside the fish room. Also if you can add a floor drain I highly recommend it.

Real Name
    Walter

Looks good - are you going to take lots of photos as it gets built so we can see the progress?

Walter
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Jhhnn View Post
    If your new place has natural gas, you might want to consider a gas-fired tankless water heater and thermostatic mixing valve to fill the totes. It'd be pricey, up front, for sure, but when you're using a lot of hot water, the price delta between gas and electric has a huge effect. It also means you won't have to hold as much or wait as long to use the aged water because it's already up to temp. Another possibility is to use a gas-fired boiler for both domestic hot water and fishroom heat. That's something you'd need to work out with a heating contractor unless you're extremely well versed in that realm. Estimates are often free, however...

I'd definitely insulate the ceiling, because that's where heat loss is greatest, but you need to be careful not to seal the room too tightly so as to avoid condensation and mold, or use an air to air heat exchanger to keep humidity down while conserving some heat... Jehmco sells 'em...

Lots of considerations and possibilities, but I'm sure it'll work out well given the effort you're investing...

As with any home improvement project, it'll probably cost twice as much and take twice as long as you'd figured in the first place, if my own experiences are any guide...

I'd even go to the trouble of moving if I could do something similar, but that would probably entail divorce, in which case I wouldn't be able to afford it, or winning the lottery, which is extremely unlikely...
    Thanks John, i will insulate the room well and add fresh air vents in the walls also i am adding an air space in the ceiling between the insulation and flooring above with fresh air vents. I will see how the room does with this set up and if needed i will add the air to air exchanger. I will rough in all the vents and wiring for it to be ready if needed. I like the boiler idea. i settle on this house this friday at that point i will bring in a hvac contractor to discuss possibilities. Thanks for your input. This is exactly why i posted this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Aquaria View Post
    I like the revisions...I do not see a sink inside the fish room. Also if you can add a floor drain I highly recommend it.
    I had a floor drain and sink in this area BUT my plans are changing. I am now moving this room to the other side of the basement. i was trying to utilize the furnace for added heat but that was causing too many layout and aesthetic problems. The new location will be free of obstructions and also will have a floor drain and sump. I am planning in adding a sink also to this area. I will post new layout soon. Thanks Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Wahter View Post
    Looks good - are you going to take lots of photos as it gets built so we can see the progress?

Walter
    Walter,I will post all new additions and progress as much as i can

-john
    Thanks John. i thought about your comments and suggestions and decided to move this room to a new location where i will have the space to have a +/- 10 x 10 prep and work area. This may add some cost in heating but i will take your advise and keep this area just for working. it will have a sink, floor drain and work table. I was trying too hard to conserve heat by packing the original area too tight. If i do it right it should not cost much more to heat. Thank you John

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Looks really good! Lots of tanks, neatly spaced, and looks like a real pros set up for producing lots of fry! Look forward to seeing pics sometime. Best of luck with it all Kenny!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member wesleydnunder's Avatar

I think it's a great design, Kenny. I hope you do a photo journal.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again, what are the facts? ...and to how many decimal places? We navigate always into an unknown future. Facts are our only clue. Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Kenny,

Sink is a must as is a drain. No water heaters or funance in the room or anywhere near the humidity, they will rust. Any tank under 20gallons(IMHO) is a waste of space. 10 gallon tanks crack when you drill them, dont drain fast or the fish outgrow them quickly. The bigger the tanks the better.

Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast