AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My fish room

Default Re: My fish room

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    Hi Kenny,

Sink is a must as is a drain. No water heaters or funance in the room or anywhere near the humidity will rust them. Any tank under 20gallons(IMHO) is a waste of space. 10 gallon tanks crack when you drill them, dont drain fast or the fish outgrow them quickly. The bigger the tanks the better.

Ed
    Ed, i only use 5-10 gal tanks for the first week after pulling from parents. if i put them in 20's they seem to take longer to adjust and i find a larger separation in size then i do in 10's. Do you go directly into 20's? I do not plan on drilling them since they are fry tanks and i hand siphon them 2 x daily.

Do you have a schedule date for beginning or is it untill the design is finalized?
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    Do you have a schedule date for beginning or is it untill the design is finalized?
    I will begin on 4/24. I am going to set up a temp area for 12-75's, 4 55's and 6-25's for my current stock. I need to have this room competed fast. i am hoping to have it ready in 3 weeks. I am working on a new layout but i am comfortable with how it is working out so i can move forward with the material ordering. All the material is delivering on 4/24 in the am. That is when all the work begins. I will post my progress.

Kenny

Ohe well, I was planning a trip to Phili to and sneak out to help ya, but that trip, if it happens, it'll be a long while.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    Ohe well, I was planning a trip to Phili to and sneak out to help ya, but that trip, if it happens, it'll be a long while.
    even better to see it complete. anytime you are in the philly area you are welcome to stop by
    Kenny

Hi Kenny, I had 10 gals when I built my first room in Olney,MD. They were on the bottom rack and quickly went out of the system for the reasons stated. I leave babies with parents for a few weeks and by the time they are ready for thier own tank they are already forging for food. Larger spawns may(will) present a problem in a small tank. BBS foul the water quickly. Babies now go from 29 high breeder to 40gal growout and the growth if fine.

Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Here is the new fish room in its new location. I like this area better and everything seems to flow much better here. I have the material being delivered on tuesday. I plan on taking a few days off next week to get this room built. I just noticed i did not call out the floor drain on my plans, it is right in front of the electrical panel. i decided to build my own water storage tanks since they were being difficult to work around. By building them myself i can size them to fit without loosing too much floor space. I will post pictures of this build and its progression. If i see people are following it i will keep posting updates.[IMG][/IMG]

DEFINITELY keep up with updates Kenny! I love watching projects start to finish. Nothing like seeing it all come together.

All the best and look forward to seeing it all!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Hi Kenny,

I am definitely interested in your room. How much automation is this room going to have? Also how are you going to build these water storage containers? Your 3D models is that done in solidworks?

Talk to you soon

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Tofe View Post
    Hi Kenny,

I am definitely interested in your room. How much automation is this room going to have? Also how are you going to build these water storage containers? Your 3D models is that done in solidworks?

Talk to you soon

Brian
    Brian,
    I am planning on a manual drain and auto fill with float valves in each tank. no systems. i will make the storage tanks in the room due to their size out of marine plywood lined with a flexible membrane. i weighed my options with water storage and found the only way to utilize the space is to custom build them. I have made these tanks in the past and have been happy with the results. I drew this simple plan view in AutoCAD. i will use Inventor which is very similar to solidworks to model it in 3D now that i am set on this layout. I will be setting up a temp area to house my tanks as i build the room. Work starts on Tuesday if all goes well this weekend. I'm hoping to have this built in 2 weeks. I am waiting on my electrician (new 200 amp service)and plumber(gas lines for heat and floor drains) to do their rough in work early next week.

Thanks Kenny

WOW,

This looks great, i am looking forward to following your progress.
    Extremely well thought out, very impressed....and a little envious.

Cheers,
    Zac.

Here is the iso view of my new layout. I am liking this layout more and more as i see it coming together. The grayed out blocks are the water storage, electrical panel,sink and work table over another water storage bin. I am starting the temp racks tonight. Hope you like this revised plan.

Kenny
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Registered Member

Kenny what type of membrane are you using to line your storage tanks?

Looks great Kenny! Very nicely designed.

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

WOW look well organise
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast