AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 47..... A little update!

Default Re: Week 47..... A little update!

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    Beautiful Chad. Simply beautiful!
    Thank you Steve! I hope all is well with you!

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    Chad,
    they are looking real nice in their new home. everything about them is awesome. very very nice looking group you have raised. well done.

Kenny
    Thank you Kenny! I really appreciate the kind words. I wish you well!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Impresive as always Sr.! I have found that my Fish seem to do best with 50% every other day. Kinda like 25% a day I guess. Your way is probably better but I dont want to be in the tank every day. Anyways - Sorry for rambling. Keep up the good work!

Ark

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel77 View Post
    Impresive as always Sr.! I have found that my Fish seem to do best with 50% every other day. Kinda like 25% a day I guess. Your way is probably better but I dont want to be in the tank every day. Anyways - Sorry for rambling. Keep up the good work!

Ark
    Ark,

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Thanks for the kind words. Now that nearly all of my fish are in the fish room full of bare tanks, I feel the need to clean more. LOL! When the tnaks are clean, the room looks great. When they get a little nasty I can't help but clean. I just spent 3 days in Vegas so tonight I'll be giving them all a good beat down.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    All has been great with the contest fish. I think they're still growing. I haven't pulled any of them for measurement in some time but I can't tell if it's the new, smaller tank they are in or if they are in fact still growing. Anyway, they still eat like pigs, play like kids and lay eggs from time to time. Still no successful spawns but they haven't given up. They were at the cone again tonight.

Water changes are the same as the last post. These fish are in the growout system of the fishroom wich is about 900 gallons. No intentional water changes are done. The only water that gets changed out is what gets pulled out from siphoning debris from the 17 tanks that make up the system. In one cleaning cycle, 250 gallons of water is spent. That's a little over a 25% water change daily. All of that water goes in to holding drums for watering of plants and the grass, all of which look fantastic at the moment! LOL!

Their diet is a mix of beefheart (fed in the mornings). Around 4 pm they get a round of live CBW and then a feeding of FBW around 10. Three feedings has been the avearge throughout their upbringing. Water parameters are 560 ppm TDS, pH 8, KH 9, GH 18. Yes, the water is insanely hard.

Enjoy the pics!
    Hey Chad, beautiful fish you've got there... best of luck...

One of the things that caught my eye was the pH of your water... it was 8... is your water supply from well water?

My pH is close to 8 as well (given our geographical proximity, it would make sense our water parameters are comparable)... when I first tested it, I freaked out knowing how these fish prefer lower pH's... they seemed to have settled in alright now, but I was concerned about the high pH's impact on egg hatching... I've read elsewhere that higher pH's reduce the chance of successful hatchings and was considering putting in driftwood to lower the pH...

Any thoughts on pH and successful breeding? Thanks

-Shazli
    Last edited by Peace; 04-19-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    Hey Chad, beautiful fish you've got there... best of luck...

One of the things that caught my eye was the pH of your water... it was 8... is your water supply from well water?

My pH is close to 8 as well (given our geographical proximity, it would make sense our water parameters are comparable)... when I first tested it, I freaked out knowing how these fish prefer lower pH's... they seemed to have settled in alright now, but I was concerned about the high pH's impact on egg hatching... I've read elsewhere that higher pH's reduce the chance of successful hatchings and was considering putting in driftwood to lower the pH...

Any thoughts on pH and successful breeding? Thanks

-Shazli

Yes, our Ph here in San Diego is high. I'm on city water and the parameters are the same after aging. My growouts and adults do great in this hard water. Remember, DOMESTICATED discus don't know what really soft water is unless they have been raised in RO.

As for breeding, I use RO. I have heard that some folks in my area have had successful spawns in tap water. I don't have specifics on that though. Some people just do things differently. For good hatch rates, I would recommend the use of RO in San Diego. I also use muriatic acid to bring down the pH of the RO. Basic parameters are pH of 6.5~6.8 and a TDS of about 60.

Hope that helps!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

They look happy and healthy! I still like your blue diamond with yellow eyes though, that's one cool fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Oroborus View Post
    They look happy and healthy! I still like your blue diamond with yellow eyes though, that's one cool fish.
    Thanks! They don't complain much! LOL!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Beautiful and very healthy looking Chad! I see a couple of them checking out their cones .
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Beautiful and very healthy looking Chad! I see a couple of them checking out their cones .
    Barb
    Thank you Barb! Your cones have been getting quite a lot of attention lately. I hope you guys are well! Take care!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah yeah...BEAUTIFUL discus there Chad... but now I want to see your green thumb of a yard from all the waste water

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    Yeah yeah...BEAUTIFUL discus there Chad... but now I want to see your green thumb of a yard from all the waste water
    LOL! Thanks David! As of right now the rain is keeping everything pretty green! I can't keep the grass cut. Every three days it's time to mow again! UGH!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I love the color. Great job!

Robert

Thank you Robert!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

wow.. that's a beautiful group you got in there bud!

Thank you Marvin! It's almost over now! LOL!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast