AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Wild or tank raised

Registered Member

Question Wild or tank raised

Which is more aggressive wild caught or tank raised? What are some others take on this.

Registered Member

Default Re: Wild or tank raised

I've had both types being aggressive. IME wilds, once settled in are a bit more agressive and out-going...Bill

Its not something you can categorize, each individual fish has a specific temperament. My domestics literally fight to the death, not kidding.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Agressivity and the amount of space available go hand in hand. My wild Xingús would have killed each other in the 75g tank, they get along absolutely perfectly in the 270g...

Nandi
    --=== LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT ===--

Registered Member

I've never kept wilds, so I can't comment on that except to say that wilds don't get to grow up by being wimps. Issues of dominance and aggression are part of the reasons I've kept groups of domestic siblings from a single clutch. They've spent their lives together, if in a bigger school, and have been sorting it out from the time they were only wrigglers. They seem to be able to recognize each other and their relative rank. When I removed a single fish for treatment, for example, that fish went right back to their place in the scheme of things when returned to the group, even a week later. Of the 3 groups I've had, none have ever damaged each other significantly. Their aggression is mostly stylized- posing, posturing, pecking and chasing to maintain their place in the hierarchy of the school.

I suspect that disparate groups thrown together by hobbyists wouldn't be nearly so harmonious, particularly if adding sexually mature adults to an existing group. Whatever balance they've achieved would no longer exist, and the only way they have to re-establish it would be through a round-robin of aggression... which might be extreme, as Eddie offers.

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

I have a female pigeon that will attack my hand every time I feed or do water changes. tha damn fish is just out rite mean!!! literally jump out of the tank a good four inches to try and attack my hand!! the most agressive discus I have ever encountered.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    I have a female pigeon that will attack my hand every time I feed or do water changes. tha damn fish is just out rite mean!!! literally jump out of the tank a good four inches to try and attack my hand!! the most agressive discus I have ever encountered.
    At least she doesn't have teeth, or the bite force of an oscar...

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    i need to see it ! LOL
    as others said its individuality of every fish that shine through , i had very aggressive wild F1 male who harassed every fish in the tank and wild Blues of a peaceful nature
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

My experience, wild brown, blues and heckels have been easy going in their groups.
    Wild green, especially tefe's always seem most aggressive. At least the submissive greens are much more submissive to a point I have to separate them.
    Bill