ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seachem Prime vs. Cloram x

Default Seachem Prime vs. Cloram x

Hey simply, just looking for alittle more feed back as to whats best, i use Prime now but the Cloram X is alot cheaper, being i go through alot.. Any body have any feed back on this please feel free to let me know! thanks!

Nolan

Default Re: Seachem Prime vs. Cloram x

Quote Originally Posted by machine77 View Post
    Hey simply, just looking for alittle more feed back as to whats best, i use Prime now but the Cloram X is alot cheaper, being i go through alot.. Any body have any feed back on this please feel free to let me know! thanks!

Nolan
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=Prime+Cloram
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Why don't you just purchase "Safe" through David Rose. It will last you forever.
    Last edited by mlov1022; 04-25-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    Marc

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mlov1022 View Post
    Why don't you just purchase "Safe" through David Rose. It will last you forever.
    +1

Colin

Registered Member

I'm sure that the choice between the 3 mentioned products is a matter of personal preference. I started with prime when I came back to fishkeeping, and see no pressing reason to change. It's reasonably convenient and inexpensive in the 2L size from Kensfish, and it's worked well with Denver's chloramined tap water...

Real Name
    Walter

Dan @ Elite Aquaria (another sponsor of the site) also sells Cloram-X:

http://www.eliteaquaria.com/AQUASCIE...DER_p/acmx.htm

Walter
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by mlov1022 View Post
    +2, if you use Prime, Safe is the exact same thing, just a concentrated powder. You will save hundreds of dollars, no joke! I've always used Prime, since I started keeping discus and if they had SAFE back then, I would have easily saved 4 digits by now! Trust me, it will be the best INVESTMENT you ever made in your life!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Sorry Prime and Cloram X are not comparable. Cloram X just detoxifies/removes chlorine, chloramines and ammonia, Prime does a lot more, so it really depends on your starting water parameters and what you want to do with it.

To compare two products compare Prime vs Ultimate. Or Safe vs New Pond (New Pond found at jehmco.com) for power formulas. Yes the powder will save you some bucks over time.
    Sponsor Kensfish has good descriptions for some of the products, it really depends on your tap water and what you need to do with it.

Hope this is helpful.

Registered Member

interesting thread, i've been using ultimate for quite some time and i've been pleased. does anyone have any reason why i should switch to prime?

Quote Originally Posted by PamC View Post
    Sorry Prime and Cloram X are not comparable. Cloram X just detoxifies/removes chlorine, chloramines and ammonia, Prime does a lot more, so it really depends on your starting water parameters and what you want to do with it.

To compare two products compare Prime vs Ultimate. Or Safe vs New Pond (New Pond found at jehmco.com) for power formulas. Yes the powder will save you some bucks over time.
    Sponsor Kensfish has good descriptions for some of the products, it really depends on your tap water and what you need to do with it.

Hope this is helpful.
    What is it that Prime does beyond detoxing the said compounds?
    Kacey

Thanks everyone for your support.... just to add... during my web site launch your first web site order will be discounted 10% now through the end of May for all non-active group order items.

I hope that helps!
    David

WOW.. alot of response.. lol thanks so much.. Yes i do use "safe" right now, but i can buy a 10# pale of clorem x for 55 bucks, and "safe" is 75 bucks... Also,nothing against David rose, but his prices are alittle high, the 8.8oz "safe" he's asking 30 bucks for, i buy for 8 dollars elsewhere online, and that 8 bucks i spent on safe makes 4liters of prime for those who might be wondering.... thanks for the help though!! Ill stay with what i know works !!
    Last edited by machine77; 04-26-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by machine77 View Post
    WOW.. alot of response.. lol thanks so much.. Yes i do use "safe" right now, but i can buy a 10# pale of clorem x for 55 bucks, and "safe" is 75 bucks... Also,nothing against David rose, but his prices are alittle high, the 8.8oz "safe" he's asking 30 bucks for, i buy for 8 dollars elsewhere online, and that 8 bucks i spent on safe makes 4liters of prime for those who might be wondering.... thanks for the help though!! Ill stay with what i know works !!
    The $30 Safe is 1kg and that's about 35.2 oz. So the 8.8 oz is 4 times less and it would equal to $32 if you go by $8 per 8.8 oz container.
    Last edited by Spardas; 04-26-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

My apologises on reading it wrong... Guess i know where to by my "safe" from now on!
    Last edited by machine77; 04-26-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    The $30 Safe is 1kg and that's about 35.2 oz. So the 8.8 oz is 4 times less and it would equal to $32 if you go by $8 per 8.8 oz container.

As for Cloram X, 10lb will treat 37588 gallons.

For Safe 1kg container:
    1 measure to 60 L: will treat 150000 gallons
    1 measure to 75 L: will treat 200000 gallons
    1 measure to 11 L: will treat 30000 gallons.

Now, we do the math, if we take $30 to be the base for Safe 1kg; then with $55, we can get

1 measure to 60 L: will treat 275000 gallons
    1 measure to 75 L: will treat 366667 gallons
    1 measure to 11 L: will treat 55000 gallons

So, there you have it. You decide what's a better investment.

Now, I found Cloram X for $45 per 10lb or $400 per 55lb (cheapest I can find). So, I will now take David's price on the 4kg Safe @ $109 and the $400 per 55lb for comparison.

55lb of Cloram X will treat 206745 gallons. So with $400, you can treat 206745 gallons with Cloram X.

Now, since we can't cut up the 4kg to match the prices, let's say we buy 4 units of 4kg Safe. This would be $436.

1 measure to 60 L: will treat 2400000 gallons
    1 measure to 75 L: will treat 3200000 gallons
    1 measure to 11 L: will treat 480000 gallons

So, even with the highest dosage, Safe still is most cost effective.
    Not sure I followed all that math but I use 1/4 tsp per 25 gallons of water...

Spardas, How does that work out with your figures?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast