ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: new discus finally arrived

Registered Member

Default new discus finally arrived

ok my 5 new discus arrived from kenny today. they are absolutely beautiful. they seem pretty healthy. they are swimmimg together. they seem to follow the largest one. i was worried bc one of them had white stringy feces. but, kenny reassured me that it was normal due to the shipping and lack of food.so i was relieved. so heres what i did
    1) i bought 5 large discus. the biggest one being 6'' the smallest being 4''
    the reason for this was that i read that the larger one are more tolerant of different water conditions. since tis was my first attempt at raising discus. i wanted to be able to leave some room for error
    2) i didn't quarantine. my tank is brand new only about 2 months old. my old tank was severely cracked during a move( stupid college movers) so i had to bu a new tank.the tank is a community tank with a sand substrate. they are sharing the tank with some cory catfish, cardinal and neon tetras, rummynose tetra and dwarf loaches. so since i bought all the discus at once and from the same supplier this is sort of like the community tank being a qt tank. i mean i would be willing to lose some tetras for the sake of the discus.
    3) im going to do wc every other day. im not going to feed bh because its too messy and i can't do daily wc.
    i'm really excited this is my first discus tank. i've always wanted to have some and i'm always envious of those who have been able to succesfully raise healthy discus. i got some money back after taxes and i decided nows a good time to fufill a longtime dream. with the new tank, eheim filter, fish,food and medicine i spent about $1200.but well worth it bc discus are such a beautiful fish.
    if anyone has any advice for a newbie i'd love to hear it. what can i expect? what are the unforseen problems did yoh guys encounter when you started this hobby. i will be posting pictures soon
    ps i want to say a big thank you to kenny cheung from kennys discus. he was an absolute professional. he not only provided me with excellent quality fish but he went above and beyond the call of duty to answer all questions i had. i'm thinking of buying another fish and it will definetly be from him
    pps. i want to thank all those who i have sent a pm. i affectionately refer to you guys as my reference book. you know who you are( eddie, walter, larry to name a few) thanks for taking time out of your daily activities to help a guy who had no clue as to what to do. i'll defitely pm you guys again .
    sorry for the long thread i just can't contain my happiness

Default Re: new discus finally arrived

lol know the feeling, Congratulations and best of luck with them
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

Gold Member

Congrats on your venture into the wonderful world of discus. I'm glad you got it from Kenny, you can never go wrong with his stock.

As far as W/C goes, if you're doing it every other day, what percentage are you planning?

BF is messy but I find that Seafood Mix is less messy depending on which type of fish you use.

Also, some good alternatives are Mal's black worms or you can even culture your own worms like white/red wrigglers/etc.

If you use an automatic feeder, make sure you position it so that there is very little space for them to jump out.

Every month, I'd like to give them something to clean our their stomach like Angel Plus deworming flake for about a week.

Other than that, it's just routine water changes and stable conditions and you should be good.

Chuc mung ban vao the gioi cua ca dia, ^^.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

If it isn't against the rules to get fish from Kenny, start a thread and not post pics, it should be!

Good luck!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by waters10 View Post
    If it isn't against the rules to get fish from Kenny, start a thread and not post pics, it should be!

Good luck!
    agreed!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

as soon as i find my camera..promise

Real Name
    chandan sarkar

good luck with your fish. i have not had much luck mixing discus of different sizes. the smaller ones always seem to grow slower. hopefully will not be an issue with you.