AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus showing strange behavior

Registered Member

Default Discus showing strange behavior

One of my discus is showing a strange behavior for a week now. Every 3-4 hours or so, it swims fast in circles and then goes to a corner and hides. Sometimes it darkens up, other times it doesn't. It's not gasping for air at the surface, but the gills are opening and closing faster than normal. All other fish (including 2 more discus) are looking and breathing normal.

My water parameters are good. The only thing I introduced was Pressurized CO2 about 3-4 days ago. I have it at a very low rate (less than 1 bubble per second) and the checker barely makes to happy face (green color or enough CO2).

I change 50% water weekly.

Has anyone experienced this?
    55 Gal, Eheim 2213, Rena XP3, Hydor 300 Watts, 2X54 Watt T5 HO, Press CO2
    1 Discus, 4 Mollies, 1 Platy, 1 Zebra Danio, 6 Tetras, 1 Pleco, Lots of Plants

Default Re: Discus showing strange behavior

How many discus do you have in how large a tank? Can you post your water stats? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). I would do a couple of large wc's with aged, heated treated water and see if that helps. 50% once a week generally isn't much.You could try taking them off CO2 as well.

Registered Member

After researching this forum, I found that the fish might have had "whirly disease" or some sort of parasitic infection (internal or external).

I rushed to 3 different local stores yesterday to get a new 5 gallon tank and medications to treat the fish. After spending $100 and 3 hours, I came home to see it dead...

I will never buy any fish from LFS anymore. It acted strange early on when I first bought it from LFS.

Anyways, I need to be prepared next time.

Real Name
    Walter

Sorry to hear that.

Most LFS don't know how to keep discus, so if you find one that does, support them.

Walter
    Walter

How long had you had them? I assumed since you had observed the symptoms for a week, then you had had the discus for some time before that.

Registered Member

Around 2 months.

Gold Member

1) Get a larger QT tank, say (29-55)
    2) Don't buy fish from LFS that are questionable.
    3) Research the sponsors on Simply. Mail order isn't as scary as you may think.
    4) QT any new specimens separately for 3-4 weeks, then take one specimen from the old tank into the QT tank and observe them together for 1-2 weeks. During this whole period, treat the fish with antibiotic, de-wormer, etc.
    5) Good luck on your next buy.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Registered Member

Thanks guys.

I don't have enough space for bigger tanks. I already bought a 5 gallon. But, I can return that tank and get a 10 gallon instead.

For QT, what would be general purpose stuff (not disease specific) to have around? Where can I get better price? Thanks for the luck, I need it next time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    1) Get a larger QT tank, say (29-55)
    4) QT any new specimens separately for 3-4 weeks, then take one specimen from the old tank into the QT tank and observe them together for 1-2 weeks. During this whole period, treat the fish with antibiotic, de-wormer, etc.
    5) Good luck on your next buy.
    55 Gallon Tank (more details in my signature). I had 3 discus, now I am down to 2.
    The parameters as of death time were:
    Nitrate - 20 (I supplement plants with ferts. So, I will always have a little of it everytime)
    Nitrite - 0
    GH-200
    Kh-20
    Ph-6.2
    Chlorine - 0
    Ammonia - 0

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    How many discus do you have in how large a tank? Can you post your water stats? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). I would do a couple of large wc's with aged, heated treated water and see if that helps. 50% once a week generally isn't much.You could try taking them off CO2 as well.
    I have fizz tabs called "Parasite Clear" by Jungle that contains praziquantel, diflubenzuron, metronidazole and acriflavine. Directions says "harmful to crustaceans such as shrimp and crabs". Is it harmful to snails as well?

I was thinking about throwing couple of those tabs in my tank to avoid infections to other discus.

Any advice is appreciated.

If they are not showing symptoms then no, I would not add any meds. Seems a bit pointless and may even do harm. I wouldn't keep even one discus in a 5 gallon. What other fish do you have in the 55 gallon tank, and when did you add them?

Thumbs up Re: Discus showing strange behavior

Quote Originally Posted by chhabi19 View Post
    One of my discus is showing a strange behavior for a week now. Every 3-4 hours or so, it swims fast in circles and then goes to a corner and hides. Sometimes it darkens up, other times it doesn't. It's not gasping for air at the surface, but the gills are opening and closing faster than normal. All other fish (including 2 more discus) are looking and breathing normal.

My water parameters are good. The only thing I introduced was Pressurized CO2 about 3-4 days ago. I have it at a very low rate (less than 1 bubble per second) and the checker barely makes to happy face (green color or enough CO2).

I change 50% water weekly.

Has anyone experienced this?
    I have experience the same two months ago, lost one of my favorite fish. The symptoms you have mentioned is due to external parasites, normally a poor water quality produces the parasites which attached with the body and made the fishes uncomfertable. For discus I have learned and experience that you just need clean water and healthy diet. 50% WC per week will provide enough time for the microscopic organism to take place in your tank. Try to change 25-30% WC on daily basis. Give some salt dips, I use malachite green for the external treatement. I got the results my rest of the fishes are with me for the last two months.

Most of the discus keepers suggest me to go for a bare bottom tank, this will helps a lot to maintain the water quality. From the day I made my tank BB, I face very less interaction with the external and internal diseases.

Rest there are some experienced discus keeper on this forum, I am also new but learned a lot from that guys.

Sorry for your loss and best wishes for the future.
    Keen to learn about DISCUS...........

Registered Member

The list is in my signature. I added a couple of tetras maybe 3-4 weeks ago. I got those tetras from same place (LFS) where I got my dead discus from.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    If they are not showing symptoms then no, I would not add any meds. Seems a bit pointless and may even do harm. I wouldn't keep even one discus in a 5 gallon. What other fish do you have in the 55 gallon tank, and when did you add them?