AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CENTRAL AIR PUMP

Default CENTRAL AIR PUMP

I am currently redoing my fish room and just wondering what would work good on about 14-16 foam filters IV's(size 4's). I want to run the air thru pvc and have drop lines to each filter. Would 1/2 inch pvc work ok for this, or should I use 3/4 inch.
    Also any recommendations for a quieter and efficient air pump on this type of system. I don't want one that sounds like a tractor when it's running...lol
    thanks

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: CENTRAL AIR PUMP

Call John at Jehmco and tell him John from NADA sent you to him. He will fix you up and you will not be able to hear the pump run at all.

-john

thanks John...appreciate it....

here you go ,

http://www.jehmco.com/html/lph26.html

Roberto.

i agree that the LPH26 will be perfect for you. They are super quite and efficient. The 3/4" pvc would be easier to drill you air valves into as 1/2" is pretty small. Be sure to connect the pvc in a closed loop with no dead ends.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    i agree that the LPH26 will be perfect for you. They are super quite and efficient. The 3/4" pvc would be easier to drill you air valves into as 1/2" is pretty small. Be sure to connect the pvc in a closed loop with no dead ends.

Kenny
    Why the closed loop with no dead ends? I've always capped off the ends
    Mama Bear

Liz,a loop will deliver equal pressure and is easier on the pump. I used to cap the ends when I ran blowers but I found a loop is far better. I did some research into way my pumps failed and found a closed loop does not cause as much back pressure. I hope this make sense. I am driving right now. I will post a drawing tomorrow of how mine is set up.
    Kenny

That's good to know. Thanks for the info, Kenny.
    Mama Bear

When you contact Jehmco, they are going to tell you that you need to "vent" your system. Whether you choose to run a loop or have "dead ends" neither system should have backpressure due to venting. If your pump provides more air than needed, you need to provide outlets to vent off backpressure. A floating piston compressor will fail prematurely with backpressure...

Just food for thought!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

THanks Chad, Liz and Acroken....look forward to the photo or diagram of your system.......and thanks for all the info....
    Not sure what you mean by a loop.....does that mean splitting the air output of the pump into 2 outputs and physically creating a loop???? As opposed to one output into a 3/4 inch piping????
    Last edited by dean9922; 05-04-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    When you contact Jehmco, they are going to tell you that you need to "vent" your system. Whether you choose to run a loop or have "dead ends" neither system should have backpressure due to venting. If your pump provides more air than needed, you need to provide outlets to vent off backpressure. A floating piston compressor will fail prematurely with backpressure...

Just food for thought!

Best wishes!
    That I knew. Too much back pressure is a bad thing. I should have been able to figure out the closed loop thing, too. I know that when plumbing water a closed loop provides even pressure to all the outlets. Common sence tells me that it would be the same with air.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that with a closed loop, and an air release valve, the system should provide even output to all the air devices thus eliminating the need for seperate controll valves on each device.
    Mama Bear

I used 1.5" PVC to feed my 20 tanks. The larger diameter pipe will act as a reservoir for the air and reduce back pressure on the pump.

I used 1" but I agree that the larger the better.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That I knew. Too much back pressure is a bad thing. I should have been able to figure out the closed loop thing, too. I know that when plumbing water a closed loop provides even pressure to all the outlets. Common sence tells me that it would be the same with air.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that with a closed loop, and an air release valve, the system should provide even output to all the air devices thus eliminating the need for seperate controll valves on each device.
    Liz,

I would think your theory would work if all of your tanks were the same depth. Mixing depths, especially if you are operating the pump to it's limit, would create a situation were your deep tanks would not get enough or any air.

I have an LPH 80 that I run 3/4" PVC to 35 sponges. When I contacted Jehmco about the setup and they recommended 3/4" PVC and venting to reduce backpressure. Basically all you need for venting are enough valves to open up until you see a decline in bubbles in your tanks. My vents are just extra valves that I put in to the PVC for expansion if necessary. If I open them all up, I see a slight decrease in ouput in the tanks. That tells me that I am right where I want to be with minimal backpressure.

Hope that helps!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Depth. I forgot about depth But if you were to run 15 devices on a pump that idealy could handle 20 I think it would work.

I'm surprised that Jhemco recommended 3/4" PVC rather than a larger diameter. I can't figure that one out.

Back when I had a real fish houre I used to vent my excess air the way you do. These days I'm stuck with using cheap two outlet pumps. One day...

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    Liz,

I would think your theory would work if all of your tanks were the same depth. Mixing depths, especially if you are operating the pump to it's limit, would create a situation were your deep tanks would not get enough or any air.

I have an LPH 80 that I run 3/4" PVC to 35 sponges. When I contacted Jehmco about the setup and they recommended 3/4" PVC and venting to reduce backpressure. Basically all you need for venting are enough valves to open up until you see a decline in bubbles in your tanks. My vents are just extra valves that I put in to the PVC for expansion if necessary. If I open them all up, I see a slight decrease in ouput in the tanks. That tells me that I am right where I want to be with minimal backpressure.

Hope that helps!
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast